H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-06-2003, 01:46 AM

LoopSS is off the scale

Hi,

In H2, if you use programmers do you have to fill up with super gas or regular gas.

Which programmer can be used with regular gas?

ALAN
Old 12-06-2003, 01:46 AM

LoopSS is off the scale

Hi,

In H2, if you use programmers do you have to fill up with super gas or regular gas.

Which programmer can be used with regular gas?

ALAN
Old 12-06-2003, 02:38 AM

ZeroTolerance is off the scale

You are not suppose to use regular gas with any of the programmers on the market. It defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do by adding the programmer. You need to at least use medium grade fuel if you install any programmer...Although if you install the Hypertech it has a feature which allows you to run regular unleaded...I would not recommend that...
Old 12-06-2003, 11:10 AM

Centerfire is off the scale

I would have to disagree.. I have the Hypertech III . You can set for 87 or 93 octane. I programed for 93 octane.. I ran two tanks of 93 thru and 2 tanks of 87 octane.. I could not detect a performance drop with the 87 octane. Even though I had it programed for 93.NO knocks or pings either. However with the cost of 93 being only 5cents more @ gallon, what the hell I use it anyway..

YOu have a $50K + truck, you are buying a $350.00 programer. what difference does another 5 t0 15 cents per gallon matter.. If cost of operation was an issue a person should not buy an H2.

Mike
Old 12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

One other comment... The days of being able to tell what grade of gasoline to buy based on whether or not you hear pinging is long gone.

Modern computer controlled engines have knock sensors that will sense knock or pinging and back off timing long before you can hear it.

In the case of running too low an octane fuel, the knock sensors will retard the timing. You will lose some performance, but it might not be noticable to you, depending on how much the computer backs off the timing.

I agree with Mike. Why spend money on a performance programmer, then skimp on low grade fuel?

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 12-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

Yep he is correct.. Unless you install a Vortech supercharger on your 99 Chevy Suburban..... Than the damn thing pings like a SOB under heavy acceleration... NO matter what I do to the darn thing.. Just going to drive it until it blows up and put the 502 big block in I should of in the 1st place... ( Sorry I know it's not H2 talk.. just venting again.)

Mike
Old 12-06-2003, 04:29 PM

ZeroTolerance is off the scale

Well you can disagree all you like. I know what the Dyno said and what the test results revealed... I know that if you run regular gas in a motor that has been programmed to run higher octane fuel, you are doing it no justice.. I know that in my 02 Chevy which had the 6.0L motor, I installed the programmer and ran premium fuel..If I did not do this, no matter what setting the fuel sync was on from the programmer it ran like crap.... If I went back to premium, ran fine... Go figure....
Old 12-06-2003, 09:40 PM

LoopSS is off the scale

Hi All,

Thank you all for answers.

Yes, I can afford H2, because it is in my garage.Yes, I can afford premium gasoline.

The 5 to 15 cent differnce is not here in New Jersey. It is something like 15 to 23 cent a gallon difference. Plus the Governor of New Jersey proposing a bill to add additional 15 cent to a gallon of gas. He says gas tax is too low in NJ. It all adds up.

I have been using Hypertech in my 96 Corvette
Grand Sport since 1997. It has been tested many
times by club members and the conclusion is that Hypertech does not contribute to any performance. Well, I use it for gear chage speedo adjustment that I have done in it. So I think you gain like real 2hp with super gas and Hypertech. It performs better NOT in performance mode.

Now Supercharger is a whole different bowl of soup.

ALAN