H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jackwins is off the scale

This morning I got my 2 front windows tinted to match the back, and the owners of the shop told me if I want the front tinted the same as the back it was illegal. Is that true? And, has anyone gotten pulled over for their front tint being too dark?

I mean these H3's draw enough attention, I dont want a cop to look at it in admiration, then say "wait his front tint is too dark".

Its a Hummee you dummee,

Jack"always"wins
Old 02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Jackwins is off the scale

This morning I got my 2 front windows tinted to match the back, and the owners of the shop told me if I want the front tinted the same as the back it was illegal. Is that true? And, has anyone gotten pulled over for their front tint being too dark?

I mean these H3's draw enough attention, I dont want a cop to look at it in admiration, then say "wait his front tint is too dark".

Its a Hummee you dummee,

Jack"always"wins
Old 02-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

It varies by state. In CA, your front windows/windshield cannot be as dark as the rear.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:05 PM

WV Humm\'EER is off the scale

Here in WV you can't go any darker than 35% on front windows and as dark as you want on the back ones. It varies from state to state. I would go by what they tell you. They get in trouble tinting them darker than the law allows.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Tis true in Cali! I still see alot of people running around with limo tinted front windshileds. I wonder if they even enforce it anymore. I know way back in HS, a few friends got busted! but that was along time ago....

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 02-24-2006, 04:12 PM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

I got me done a few weeks back.

15% is legal here in GA I got 20% to match the rear.

with the front windhied it appears not as dark as the rears due to the light that comes in the front.

you take you chances but with the black H3 it looks pimp imo.

dealer wanted 175 do it I took it where they get theres done got it on for 50

If I get nervous with a PO near I roll the windows down.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Someone I know got their hummer windows tinted and it was to dark and so when they looked out the side windows they only saw their instrument panel reflecting. The only state I know off that does not have a law against to dark is Arizona. A lot of states don't enforce the law or pull you over for this but I don't like to take any chances. I get in enough trouble as it is.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

Had my fronts done to match the rear windows in July of 05.Been pulled over twice for speeding. Nothing, was mentioned about my windows. Its a judgement call on the cop/trooper.
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Hummer Professional

deicustoms1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have gotten pulled over for window tint. This was in WI and in my old car, but some cops do enforce tint laws for some reason, it was always a state trooper that pulled me over for tint, other cops don't bother with it.

I got pulled over 3 times just for excessive tint (in less than 1 year), got 3 fix-it tickets. Just paid the fine for first one for 20% tint, 2nd time I had the tint removed, got the fix it ticket signed and went and got 15% tint. Then after I got the 3rd ticket I just moved to FL.

I wouldn't worry about the tint, if it looks good, it'll be worth a few fix-it tickets!

And the dealer tints windows?! Do they do anything special that a regular tint shop doesn't do?
Old 02-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tinted the front windows in my last two SUVs to match the back windows which were darker than legal here. Never had a problem at all. Will be doing the H3 here shortly. I know the shop that I use will go darker than legal but only if you pay cash and they don't record the sale. You don't get the warranty that way but other than that, who cares, never needed the warranty on any tint job.

I know it used to be illegal to tint the front windows at all in MO unless you had a medical reason and provided proof to the officer if you go pulled over. I know several people who lived in MO that got pulled over for tint but they had friends that were doctors and provided them with a release. I even got pulled over for it and cop tried to make me take the tint off right then and there. Had to argue with him for 10 minutes that I was not going to do that since I was a KS resident that was where the vehicle was registered. He finally backed off and we went our separate ways.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 02-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Disnydad is off the scale

Round here over the past year or so, most officers have these little light meters they hold on the inside of the glass. Use to be just the large cities that had them, but now they are everywhere. They don't seem to care what state you are from, just that you are here. Couple of trucks ago I had the windows tinted, but stuck to the legal limits. The front sides could be tinted a bit, but nowhere as much as the back.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Hummer Professional

deicustoms1 is an unknown quantity at this point

HummerNewbie - Isn't the legal for fronts in FL 15%? Recently raised from 5%, making it hard to enforce?

Let me know the name of the tint shop if you remember, and maybe if they offer llumar precision cut films if it comes up.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deicustoms:
HummerNewbie - Isn't the legal for fronts in FL 15%? Recently raised from 5%, making it hard to enforce?

Let me know the name of the tint shop if you remember, and maybe if they offer llumar precision cut films if it comes up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you are correct about the 15% though I don't think I know anyone that has ever gotten a ticket in FL for their tint. Lets make sure we are not the first

The shop it up in Longwood on 17-92 but I don't recall the name. If you need it, I will try to swing by and get the name for you.

We need to setup a get together for local owners. If nothing else, have a couple of beers and talk about doing some off road events.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bill1065 is off the scale

I may just do it myself from Pep Boys; They have various tints and you can decide on the shades of tint. Then again $50 just to have someone do two windows is a pretty good deal if you can find it.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Steve - SanJose

Laws vary by state on this. I paid $90 to have my front windows tinted just slightly lighter than the rears. California enforcement of laws related to this is sporadic.

S.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve-SanJose-H3:
Laws vary by state on this. I paid $90 to have my front windows tinted just slightly lighter than the rears. California enforcement of laws related to this is sporadic.

S. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. In TN it was legal, here in MI it is not legal.
What it does, is give any police officer the right to pull you over at any time. So, if they believe you are driving drunk, but have no probable cause, they can still pull you over for the illegal tinted windows, and then if they smell alcohol or you act drunk, they now have probable cause to have you blow into the meter.
I am not advocating drunk driving, I only used this scenario for an example.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Hummer:
The only state I know off that does not have a law against to dark is Arizona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arizona legal is 35% for the front. The PD near ASU sontimes use light meters on the parked cars to check.

That being said, I have Limo on the front and Double Limo on everything else, Black on Black. You can be standing right next to my H3 and you can't see in.

I've never been busted for tint and I usually run limo on all my cars.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

SDH3 is off the scale

Tinted front windows in Calif. are illegal period. I got pulled over by the CHP in my pickup for a questionable stop at a stop sign, and he said tint is against the law, and told me they have to come off via the fix-it ticket. Bottom line, they don't pursue you for the tint, but if you get pulled over for anything else the tint is history. Got 35% on the Hummer fronts plus a six inch strip on the windshield, and haven't used the visors since.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Frazzell is off the scale

gotten pulled over and ticketed. in the state of Mi. you can have tint on front drivers side and pass. but it can only come down 4" from the top of the window, similar to fact. windshields. it was just a fix-it ticket but a pain in the a*$ to peel it back off. took them 3 years to pull me over, guess he didnt have anything to do.
H3 boulder gray, chrome nerf bars,chrome package,xm,moon roof,k&n,dual headrest dvd,chrome lower grill & bumper letters,roof mounted machine gun,flame throwers,rocket launchers,smoke screen,and rotating licsence plate.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tinted front windows in Calif. are illegal period. I got pulled over by the CHP in my pickup for a questionable stop at a stop sign, and he said tint is against the law, and told me they have to come off via the fix-it ticket. Bottom line, they don't pursue you for the tint, but if you get pulled over for anything else the tint is history. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same thing happened to me. Ticket, Ticket, Ticket. They stare at me enough here, I don't need to give them any more reason.