H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-08-2005, 04:23 PM

jdawg is off the scale

i know there are aftermarket options out there but i would prefer mine from the manufacture. anyone have a status?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:23 PM

jdawg is off the scale

i know there are aftermarket options out there but i would prefer mine from the manufacture. anyone have a status?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask Fstop, he will know whats up.

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 11-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea. I have heard a supplier problem and a problem with supply. It would be a cold day in hades before I paid 1900 big ones for an in-dash NAV unit that I would use but once or twice a year.
I have my portable Garmin for the highways and byways of the US, and my Magellan TOPO for the National parks and back roads of Utah, TN, etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
No idea. I have heard a supplier problem and a problem with supply. It would be a cold day in hades before I paid 1900 big ones for an in-dash NAV unit that I would use but once or twice a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree compeletely. When I first looked at getting the H3, I briefly toyed with the idea of waiting to order my rig until navigation came off of constraint. That was short lived. While I think an in-dash nav system is aesthetically pleasing (since it is integrated into the truck and doesn’t need any power cords or additional mounting hardware) that virtue is ironically its ultimate demise. Since it is an integrated device, it can’t be shared between vehicles, doesn’t offer anywhere near the features that other systems do, and it doesn’t do topographical or 3D maps. With future maps, the car companies have you by the nuts - you’ll end up paying through the nose for updates to the DVD maps. Finally I hate the idea of eventually having to rely upon an outdated piece of computer hardware. Five or ten years from now that nav unit is going to be like an old 386 PC is now.

On top of all of this - it’ll cost you nearly twice what a top-of-the-line Garmin GPS unit does. This seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

My Garmin iQue 3600 cost about $400.00 a year ago. It lists all the hotels, gas stations, restaurants, and even go-go bars in all cities in the US. It speaks to me, tells me when I screwed up, and with its bean bag holder, stays nicely on the I/P. Since it is next to impossible to get lost on the major interstates the only real reason I have it running is for the detour function, and that has come in handy a few times thanks to the massive amount of roadwork during the summer months.
My Magellan TOPO does not speak, but it does mount to the windshield, has a real small screen, but the TOPO software lists every arch, notable rock formation, and two-track roads in Arches, Canyonlands and the Smokies. It actually does all, but those are the only ones I have been to since I purchased it.
I can also take the Magellan and clip it to my side so I can take a hike in the mountains, and with lay "electronic bread crumbs" so I can't get lost.

I would rather take that $1900 and spend it on rocker and under carriage protection.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

I talked to the GM Accessory guy out at SEMA last week, and he hadn't even heard about the stop on Navs. He did however say that its going to be more like an after-market system than say the H2 factory Nav. I think he mentioned something about a tilting screen, as well as the ability to listen to CDs and Navigate at the same time...(something H2s can't do right now w/out added hardware)

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 11-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

For some of us (not all) the NAV is a tool that we use for work. I drive to many different places and like to sit back and be guided. It makes things easier when you are not familiar with every street name, short cut, and esp. durring rush hour trying to read a map to get to your client on time.

For me, I will spend the money on an aftermarket NAV. I won't have the truck for 10 years, so being outdated won't bother me anyhow. In 10 years, this H3 will be outdated for that matter.

I was waiting for the factory nav to become available and had an order on hold becasue I wanted the OEM NAV. Since I have talked with a couople of people on here, I have chose to go aftermarket and have my order processed ASAP. There is more capability in the aftermarket stuff too. Back up cam, DVD, XM, integrated with headrest monitors are a couple of the reasons I am going aftermarket now.

Now, I have to agree for someone that will use their NAV once or twice a year, that would be thrwoing money out the window. BTW- If anyone is throwing money out the window, please throw it my dirrection.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

We're going to try and put an H2 Nav into an H3 today, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:02 AM

mannytranny is off the scale

I was going to wait but not anymore. Cancelled the NAV and the truck should be here before Christmas. I am looking at a Garmin for on the dash. I can now even spend more on truck accessories. The NAV on the H3 could be available in 6 weeks more or less. The wait is tooooo long, I want my H3.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of the tom tom 700 looks like nice unit. It has bluetooth for your phone .Does anyone know if you can hook up a rear view camera to portable navagation unit?.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM

jdawg is off the scale

thanks for all the replys... i would definately use my navigation for work so it would not go to waste... but after thinking about it more and all the feedback here especially timgco's ive decided to place my order and just go with an aftermarket. it would be nice to have dvd and back up cam. thanks everybody.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It would be a cold day in hades before I paid 1900 big ones for an in-dash NAV unit that I would use but once or twice a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree 100% with F5 and the others about getting a handheld. In a couple years, any in-dash Nav unit be obsolete, unsupported, the novelty will be long gone. And every time you get in the truck, you'll remember that you paid almost $2k for that thing. A handheld or portable GPS goes with you on trips, and if you stick with industry leaders like Garmin and Magellen, they're very well supported and data upgrades are reasonable, and they don't rely on third-party software.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

gc2488 is off the scale

Or even better, any GPS connected to a
laptop computer is very nice, since the
laptop screen is so large and the laptop
can be on the Internet these days,
and get up-to-date info such as using
Google Earth.

I'm interested in holders for laptop computers
like police often have in their cars.
Any specific suggestions?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any recommendations for maps and compact flash antenna for an iPAQ. Mine is just sitting around since I got a smartphone a couple of years ago. I looked on ebay a couple of weeks ago and could get the whole package for about $100. Wouldn't be the greatest but at least I would be using the iPAQ and it would be handheld so I can take it on the boat as well.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gc2488:
Or even better, any GPS connected to a
laptop computer is very nice, since the
laptop screen is so large and the laptop
can be on the Internet these days,
and get up-to-date info such as using
Google Earth.

I'm interested in holders for laptop computers
like police often have in their cars.
Any specific suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to do a search on the H2 boards. A while back, I remember a thread about this an dI think it linked a site where you can buy.
The one I remember seeing folded in between the PS seat and the center council and folded out like an airline tray out of the armrest.