H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Hummer Professional

DH22G is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry TOWING

Hey Everyone I know it has been forever since I have been on here, and it has been just as long since I spent some real serious time driving it. But I have some problems and I know that you guys might have some insite.. And since i just tried to post and it erased my whole message I must make this one short.

I am trying to tow my boat and I have NO power to pull this thing.. I feel like the little engine that could... no joke.

I have a 2003 h2 lux with 36k on it.

Performance Mods:
1. Cold Air Intake (Stock Tube) Airraid
2. Throttle Body Spacer (Trans Dapt?)
3. Custom Headers (Headman)
4. True Dual Cat Back Exhaust. (Cats are stock) -3in Pipes -Electric Cutouts - dual Flowmaster 40 series -removable tailpipes for turndowns to wheel

I had my 22in wheels with 37in BFG KDW Street tires on - I was told to take those off and itd fix my prob...

Back to stocks and I finally got to tow today.. AND STILL NO POWER...

I had a caddy ext.. towed like a beast.. and this thing cant tow!!!

Something has to be wrong, and my dealer hates me And thoughts???

The boat is 21' Malibu VLX has lead inside it so it is a bit heavier, but not exceeding the h2 tow capacity..

Today someone told me to check my mass airflow sensor to see if it is dirty or has oil from my air raid on it....? gotta check that one next..

ANY IDEAS????

By the way:
Adam
DRTY
D ACJ
ROCKS

Miss yah guys. sorry I have been a bum, and cant wait to wheel with you guys.

-D
03 H2 White... too much to list
2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX -READY FOR THE SUN
Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TOWING

I towed my Z06 to the track last November on a close to 400 mile round trip on a trailer that weighed more than the car.... total tow weight was in the 6500lbs range. It towed great, you knew the car was back there but I wouldnt say that it was struggling in the least bit. Cruised down the highway at 65-70 mph with no issues and got around 9mpg's

There is no way a 21' boat should make that truck struggle.....do you know anyone else in your area with a H2??? you might want to have them hook to it and see.

On a side note...... check your surge brakes (I would certainly assume this is the set up on your trailer).... if the tounge actuator is sticking and not releasing the brakes completely this could be your issue. You may want to hook up to another trailer and see if your issue persists. One of my friends that I boat with regularly had this same issue. You can try coming to a complete stop and then goose the throttle a bit to kind of yank the trailer, see if this helps, in the end he needed to replace his actuator.

Good Luck

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Hummer Professional

WHOSNEXT is an unknown quantity at this point

I pull my 25 (about 6k lbs) with no problem.....stopping is another story....
Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 AM
Hummer Professional

OK so anyone in Thousand Oaks with an H2????? Camarillo - Calabasas who is willing to give me a hand?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

DrG is off the scale

You have had some good replies so far but I'll add my two cents. I have a 21' Tige and while I know it's there while on the road, I have plenty of power to cruise 65 to 70 with it. If your dealer isn't helpful, try an independent garage. Have them hook it up to the computer and see what happens. Maybe you are dropping a cylinder or two under a load. The mass air deal could be a problem but it wouldn't hurt to replace the plugs due to time, instead of mileage. I've had plugs go bad that looked good but not in these newer high voltage engines. The trailer brake thing was a good idea. Will your trailer roll back and forth by you just pushing it? One more thing, I just got mine out of the shop for a diff leak but I mentioned to the mechanic that my gas mileage had been dropping off for the past couple of tanks. He reflashed the PCM with the latest update and I'm back up better than it was. You might ask about that. I wasn't aware they were updateable.
David
Old 03-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrG
You have had some good replies so far but I'll add my two cents. I have a 21' Tige and while I know it's there while on the road, I have plenty of power to cruise 65 to 70 with it. If your dealer isn't helpful, try an independent garage. Have them hook it up to the computer and see what happens. Maybe you are dropping a cylinder or two under a load. The mass air deal could be a problem but it wouldn't hurt to replace the plugs due to time, instead of mileage. I've had plugs go bad that looked good but not in these newer high voltage engines. The trailer brake thing was a good idea. Will your trailer roll back and forth by you just pushing it? One more thing, I just got mine out of the shop for a diff leak but I mentioned to the mechanic that my gas mileage had been dropping off for the past couple of tanks. He reflashed the PCM with the latest update and I'm back up better than it was. You might ask about that. I wasn't aware they were updateable.
David

Hey David,
Thanks for the thought.
Yes my trailer does move freely. And brakes properly especially under heavy breaking. I have a malibu vlx and have about 2000 in extra lead in the boat.. but it still shouldn't be over the towing capacity.

I spoke with a friend who is in at a chevy dealer and is going to run my VIN to see if there are any updates to my software and check it out for me. I spark plugs could be it i guess.. but i would suspect the engine to throw a code.

I am going to leave it with my friend for a few and see what he finds.

Thanks and happy boating!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Hummer Veteran

NSANE is off the scale

Towing is what did my Hummer in as per the dealer said. I was towing a jeep on a 18' aluminum with a total of 5,400 lbs. It really did tow bad but on hills the trans went kinda nuts to find the right gear. Mileage was around 7.5 mpg all the time and only got better going down hill. The sad part cause I did like the truck, in 2 years and 27,000 miles= 3 transmissions, 2 sets of rear axle pinion bearings and seal, a couple of engine oil leaks. I had a total of over 30 times to the dealer in the 2 years I owned this and I bought it brand new, a 2006. I just sold it to buy a 2008 Dodge ram 2500 mega cab with a Cummins 6.7 diesel, so I have no more worry if I'll make it home. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

vlxjim is on a distinguished road

I tow a VLX as well see my user name. I don't have any problems. I live in Valencia and have been on the same roads as you. I have only a AirRaid filter, tube and a SuperChips Flashpaq. Could be a bad Trans.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlxjim
I tow a VLX as well see my user name. I don't have any problems. I live in Valencia and have been on the same roads as you. I have only a AirRaid filter, tube and a SuperChips Flashpaq. Could be a bad Trans.

MALIBU VLX

i do need to do a computer tuning, but my 03 wouldn't take the programming. I got a new hyperpac when it came out, and it wouldn't take the code. Some people said it could of been the fact that it was one of the first h2's produced.. I dont know.
I checked my mass airflow sensor and it looked clean to me.. so i could only imagine on what is causing the problem.

What year is your vlx? and what additional weight do you have? Trailer?
-I have a tandem extreme trailer.

What is everyone's thoughts on my exhaust being 3in??? Its got Headers, stock cats. and then true duals after the cats with 3in pipes.

Any thoughts???
Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

NSANE is off the scale

Exhaust should be fine but check the cat's to make sure they didn't do a melt down and are getting clogged. Just a thought?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

vlxjim is on a distinguished road

It's a 2000 same hull as yours sitting on a custom Ellis tandem trailer with wide polished stainless steel fenders and wide tires and wheels. And no extra weight. Extreme and Ellis build the best trailers.

Good call on the cats. I would check them out as well.

Alot of H2s have said that them have lost bottom end with cat back systems. That has kept me from doing it. But that should not be that big of a problem like your having.

On your programer did you pull the OnStar fuse? That has helped some here to do that.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlxjim
It's a 2000 same hull as yours sitting on a custom Ellis tandem trailer with wide polished stainless steel fenders and wide tires and wheels. And no extra weight. Extreme and Ellis build the best trailers.

Good call on the cats. I would check them out as well.

Alot of H2s have said that them have lost bottom end with cat back systems. That has kept me from doing it. But that should not be that big of a problem like your having.

On your programer did you pull the OnStar fuse? That has helped some here to do that.

I dont know how I would check my cats. I guess I would get an engine light if i did.. I just seems like my engine is going and im not going anywhere fast. extremely weird.
I checked my MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR and it looked clean to me...

I already got rid of my programmer when I sold my caddy. I didn't know or dont know how pulling that fuse would allow the computer to be programmed....
But dont those computers just allow me to change shift points and fuel usage... top speed and rev limiter etc...
????

I have to check in with my friend to see what he found with my VIN..

Have you gotten out riding yet??? I was trying to go Friday.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point

One word solution: SUPERCHARGER!

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONRAD II
One word solution: SUPERCHARGER!

haha.. trying to retain some gas mileage!!!

I did find out that my aftermarket stereo could be what was inhibiting my power programers from being able to program.

It is a thought, but it'd be a pain to take out my stereo and return it to stock.. i don't even have my stock speakers anymore
Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

This whole thread has me scrathing my head. I normally tow my 27' Baja with a double axle trailer with no problem. Last year, I towed a 43' Fountain back to Florida from NC. The boat and trailer combo weighed in at 15K pounds and I got her back! The hills killed me and the gas milage equaled the boat's >4 mpg, but I never got above 60 mph.

If your H2 can't tow a 21' boat, I'd burn it!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"