H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 AM

RADIOMAN_NYC is off the scale

I recently reached the 1500 mile mark and decided to check the fluids under the hood. All went well untill I droped the hood from about a little past the halfway closed point and to my surprise, instantly cracked my windshield, directly in front of the drivers seat. When I called the dealer, they said, "No Problem, bring it in and we'll replace it under warranty". The day I took it in, I saw 3 other H2'S, all with the same problem. What's up ??? Any one else have a problem???
Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 AM

I recently reached the 1500 mile mark and decided to check the fluids under the hood. All went well untill I droped the hood from about a little past the halfway closed point and to my surprise, instantly cracked my windshield, directly in front of the drivers seat. When I called the dealer, they said, "No Problem, bring it in and we'll replace it under warranty". The day I took it in, I saw 3 other H2'S, all with the same problem. What's up ??? Any one else have a problem???
Old 09-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

I have seen this now a dozen times! There is some kind of stress point inbetween where the driver side wiper is mounted and about 2" over. GM is aware of it! I live in FLORIDA and in our state windshields are a no fault no deductable item. In other words windshields in FLORIDA are always covered - forever!
I just got one replaced on a 4 year old JEEP WRANGLER - it only had a littel nick in it and the dealer changed it out for free - I never signed a paper or paid a cent!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:15 PM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

You do not have to drop it to close it, just lower it and then latch the hood down...No need to slam...
Old 09-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

It has to be some kind of "drop" for the latches to engage. I've driven around for days without knowing my hood was not fully latched or enegaged. I have dropped the hood from any angles or height without any problem, just always made sure the straps are not in the way. I sort of enjoy dropping the hood, feels good and powerful. But looks like I have to be a little careful with the closing from now on.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Mac your back, where have you been? We thought you went 4 wheeling alone and got stuck in the woods.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 AM

Although the dealer did fix it, under warranty, he said it was a "One time Gratis repair" and if it happened again, I would have to take it up with GM directly. My only response to that was "Did I just hear you right???? What the **** is that supposed to mean???? After a long and heated discussion and a lot of face to face finger pointing, he stood strong on his comment. They reassured me that they would use factory glass about 5 times and low and behold, when I picked up the car, yup, you guessed it, AFTERMARKET GLASS !!!! How do I know, it's easy, original glass is stamped with the GM logo on the passenger side, and this said somthing else. So I called over the service manager who I had the pissing contest with earlier, and I showed him his "Factory Glass" they installed. He acted very surprised and said he would order me a new GM windshield imediately and have it installed at my convienience. I told him that it's never convienient for me to loose my car for a day and I will take my chances with this glass, who knows, maybe it's stronger than the original, but if it breaks again, he sure as **** will replace it under warranty. He agreed and made note of it in writing on my repair order and signed off on it. By the way, for those of you who found a way to close your hood without breaking the window, it's not supposed to be this way guys, you pay over 50 grand for a car, or in this case, a tough truck, and you should be able to close that hood any way that works, without fear of breaking the glass !!!! And since my last post, I've met 3 more identicle casualties in my area, something's wrong here, and the dealers know it. !!!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:45 PM

JCJ is off the scale

If the new glass (factory or after market) has some kind of tinting of upper rim, like many other cars, incl. SUV's, have, but our H2s don't, I'll be "test slamming" my hood a couple times right now...!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Phil and H2Daddy, Thanks. Every time I am away on vacation or biz trips, takes a little effort to get back to the habit of visit the forum regularly. Just happened everything turned super busy and intense recently.

Based on what I read here, Radioman’s dealer treated him very well. Aftermarket glass could be better than factory, as least we know factory windshield is not that good. I have had aftermarket windshields on many cars, no difference. Windshields on $100K-$200K cars break too, I don‘t think it is relate to the cost of vehicle. Things happen in life, especially on automobiles, expected, we all have to deal with them in calm manner.

I personally never found confrontation to be a good method to solve problems; first of all I lose when I lose my cool, I feel bad afterward. 2ndly I usually found people are equally nice when you are nice to them (except bullies). It takes a lot of extra effort, energy, time and words to solve a problem by shouting and demanding. I take pride to be able to be nice, gentle and professional, and if I must deliver deadly threat and intimidations I trained myself to do so softly. There were times in my biz when both sides are in a room for a last meeting before a costly lawsuit with 8 lawyers present, firm determination masked by fake friendly and gentle manner have saved the day (years) and legal cost. Just my humble experience.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Al is off the scale

Speaking of the hood when I test drove the H2 I noticed that all you needed to do to open the hood was unhook the latches and tilt open the hood. There was no latch on the inside of the truck, as exists in all other vehicles, to unlock the hood. What would stop a thief from getting into the engine bay?

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough)
Old 09-03-2003, 03:10 AM
Circuitguy

Don't they all have latches? Hood pulls on the drivers kick panel? I would hope so...BIG-C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al:
Speaking of the hood when I test drove the H2 I noticed that all you needed to do to open the hood was unhook the latches and tilt open the hood. There was no latch on the inside of the truck, as exists in all other vehicles, to unlock the hood. What would stop a thief from getting into the engine bay?

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX
Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 PM

dostacos is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RADIOMAN_NYC:
Although the dealer did fix it, under warranty, he said it was a "One time Gratis repair" and if it happened again, I would have to take it up with GM directly. My only response to that was "Did I just hear you right???? What the **** is that supposed to mean???? After a long and heated discussion and a lot of face to face finger pointing, he stood strong on his comment. They reassured me that they would use factory glass about 5 times and low and behold, when I picked up the car, yup, you guessed it, AFTERMARKET GLASS !!!! How do I know, it's easy, original glass is stamped with the GM logo on the passenger side, and this said somthing else. So I called over the service manager who I had the pissing contest with earlier, and I showed him his "Factory Glass" they installed. He acted very surprised and said he would order me a new GM windshield imediately and have it installed at my convienience. I told him that it's never convienient for me to loose my car for a day and I will take my chances with this glass, who knows, maybe it's stronger than the original, but if it breaks again, he sure as **** will replace it under warranty. He agreed and made note of it in writing on my repair order and signed off on it. By the way, for those of you who found a way to close your hood without breaking the window, it's not supposed to be this way guys, you pay over 50 grand for a car, or in this case, a tough truck, and you should be able to close that hood any way that works, without fear of breaking the glass !!!! And since my last post, I've met 3 more identicle casualties in my area, something's wrong here, and the dealers know it. !!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

does not seem to matter which brand all those guys seem to go to the same shcool on how to p*ss off the customer
Old 09-17-2003, 10:50 PM

Follow up,

Got a call from the Customer Satisfaction Rep at my dealer (Potamkin of Manhatten) and let him have an earfull as far as my level of satisfaction (not).... He then goes on to tell me that yes, it's official, they have received a service bulliten from GM that many H2'S have had improperly installed windshields at the factory, and yes, mine was one of them. Turns out that they received inferior gaskets and they all needed to be retrofitted, but they are only doing it on an "as needed" basis. Thats right, if the windshield breaks, they'll replace it and install a new gasket, which means that now I have to go back and loose the car for another day when they put in a gasket and a real windshield. At least they admit that something was terribly wrong, and they are going to make it right, hey , that's all I ever asked for !!!!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:18 PM

buddy is off the scale

How would one know they had an improperly installed windshield? Wait until it breaks?
I wonder if GM knows what run of VIN's may have of had the improper gasket installed.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 AM

2005 M3 to 2006 H2 SUT is off the scale

so does the above about gaskets mean that all newer h2's no longer have a cracking problem??