H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

TouchdownTN is off the scale

The following is the reply that I got from PAC about the change on the AAI-GM24 adapter!

The new AAI-GM24 is not fully plug and play, but very easy to wire up. The
reason why we didn't make it plug and play is because we had two harnesses
the 24 pin and the 12pin. Well, the reason for the 24 pin harness was just
for getting power and ground to the unit and it became to be a bunch of
wires to stuff behind the radio. So, we eliminated the 24 pin harness and
all you have to wire is the constant wire and the ground wire to the factory
harness. Plug the 12 pin harness into the radio and your done, not very
difficult.

Thank you,
Joe Riggs
Tech Support

PAC
1502 S. Santa Fe St.
Santa Ana, CA 92705
www.pac-audio.com
714-835-3022
800-854-3133
Old 05-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well, I finally ordered my AAI-GM24. I also ordered the PAC device that allows you to hook up a aftermarket amp to the factory head unit. This will solve the problem of having to splice into the factory wiring. The unit that adds an amp has a harness to fit the head unit so I can splice the AAI-GM24 into the other harness instead of the factory wiring. I will let you know how the install goes. I'm going to do it myself and hope everything turns out right!
Old 05-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

DONE...WOO HOO!!! And it works beautifully. I now have 100 CDs in my little MP3 player with me all the time and the sound quality equals that of the CD player.

Klaus, I have no idea how it works, but the radio does sense the auxilary channel (even if the mp3 player is off). I can access the auxilary either through the "band" or "cd/aux" buttons on the radio. No problems.

Here's a few tips I've learned for those installing this thing themselves.

1. For anyone new to this thread, here are the instructions Happy Jack posted on pulling the center console back and removing the dash cover. This was invaluable.

2. Once you get the dash cover off, put some masking tape over you A/C unit. The radio will hang down in the process and the edges are sharp. I scratched my the face of my A/C.

3. You need to solder on the yellow and black wires of the PAC unit to the corresponding wires going into the radio. If you look at the diagram on the instructions, this become very intuitive.

4. There are 2 ways to solder on the wires. One is to shave the rubber off the factor wire and solder on to it. The other way, which is Klaus's way, is pull the factor wire out of the plastic plug apparatus and solder onto the tip. So what you can do is take the smallest screw driver you can find (the kind to fix eyeglasses) and insert that into the plastic plug where the pin from the radio goes. When you push the screwdriver in deep enough, it deactivates a clip inside the plug and you can then easily pull the factory wire out from the other side. Then, you can solder your yellow and black wires onto the metal pin pieces at the end of the factory wires. Just be careful to not use too much solder and do it in a way that you can insert the metal piece back into the plastic plug. I had to use a file and file down some of the solder so I can get it back in, but this wasn't a big deal.

5. If you are not handy with a soldering iron, you might try those quick-connect wire splicers you can get a Radio Shack. I think you can get away with that, but I agree with Klaus, soldering is a more secure way to go.

6. Important: make sure you adjust the little input volume settings on the auxilary unit. The way mine was originally set, I would have to put my radio on "10" volume in order to play my mp3 player at the level I usually listen to. Then you know what happens when you switch over to radio at that volume.

7. After you solder the wires and clip on the auxilary and it all works, there's little space to slide the radio back in. I shoved the bunch of wires to the lower right where there's space, and hung the auxilary box over the left vent and down the left side where there's lots of space.

8. I taped some foam around the auxilary box so that it doesn't rattle or knock inside when I drive. I noticed GM does this everywhere inside on all it's wires and parts, which is why the H2 drives so quietly and knock-free.

9. You obviously need an adaptor for your mp3 player or whatever you are hooking up to the RCA plugs of the auxilary box. I found the perfect 4 foot wire at Radio Shack with 2 male RCA plugs on one end, and a male 1/8" stereo phone plug on the other for $6. I snaked that down and through the center console, then drilled a small hole in the compartment box and fed the wire into the box. I now keep my mp3 player stowed in the box when not using it, and keep it rested on top when I'm driving which is so convenient.

The whole job probably took me about 4 hours. But it's worth it. I have to say, I love having all my music at my finger tips. I don't think I've gotten this much personal satisfaction from a project like this in a long time.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Called today to check on my AAI-GM24. The company forgot to enter my order in their computer. So now they are shipping it overnight. I should have it tomorrow (May 12), hope to install this weekend if not before. I am also adding the PAC interface that allows a aftermarket amp to the factory. Can you guys give me ideas on exactly where you stuck your interface box. I know it's a tight squeeze around the radio. I'm thinking both should fit on top of the radio between the front vents. I plan on wrapping them in foam to keep them from vibrating and rattling. BTW, Zing, I also have the scratched AC from previously trying to install the soundgate interface. Welcome to the club I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Plenty of room for the auxiliary unit, since you loop it over the left vent and then let it hang down the left side. Issue really is the bulk of new wires from connecting the unit. They don't reach to the top between the air vents. I shoved them down to the lower left. You'll see what I mean. It's not a big deal though. Took me 5 minutes to figure it out.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well I finally got the PAC device installed. I had a friend of mine help me install it. I now have 2-10" Polk Subs hooked up to an aftermarket amp, and the 2 aux inputs with an Ipod on one of the inputs. So far I love it. Sound quality on the Ipod is night and day different compared to the I-trip FM device I have been using. We fit both the AAI-GM24 behind the radio on the right hand side and the C2A-GM24 behind the left hand side. It was a tight fit but my friend got it to fit. I have the cupholder Ipod holder and I ran the wire for the Ipod out of the center console so I can have it hidden when I want to remove the Ipod. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

PICS?????
Old 05-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

I'll be out of town this weekend, so I'll have to post the pics Monday. Really just a simple setup as far as the subs go. They are in a bandpass box that I bought a couple years ago for my Expedition. It takes up most of the space in the back of the H2. I did leave enough slack to move the box to the front when the seats are folded down, or I can just unplug the speaker wire and remove the box if needed. I'm really happy with the Ipod setup. I bought the Ipod cupholder and it works great having it so convienient to the factory headunit and being able to tuck the wire into the storage bin in the console. I will post pics ASAP but will be Monday before it is possible.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Here are the pics after the installation of the AAI-GM24 and C2A-GM24. As you can tell not alot of difference. The cable for the Ipod that you see goes to a Belkin car charger with a mini-plug audio out. I have my Monster Cable plugged into this mini-plug and to the AAI-GM24. I ran the other aux in cable down the center console and it is tucked in behind the trim panel so I can get to it when I add the XM Roady or other Satellite Radio device. BTW, the cable for the Ipod is plugged into the rear driver's side power point and runs under the console up thorough the storage bin. We drilled a small hole for the cable to pass through. So when I take the Ipod out the cable is hidden. As far as the sub box, I just have to remove the speaker wire from the box and everything is back to factory again. I would really rather have the JL Audio stealthbox but don't feel like it is worth the money. Here are the pics
Old 05-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You're going to need to reload and shoot that one by us again!
Old 05-23-2004, 01:30 AM

jwm3 is off the scale

1/4
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2004, 01:31 AM

jwm3 is off the scale

2/4
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2004, 01:33 AM

jwm3 is off the scale

3/4
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2004, 01:33 AM

jwm3 is off the scale

4/4
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2004, 02:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sorry about the pics not posting! Haven't posted pics before. I left my disc with photo's at work. I will try to post them Monday. I have to say JWM3's pics remind me of my install. I don't have any pics of the dash apart just where I mounted the I-pod, Amp, and Sub Box. Again, I apologize about the pics and will try it again!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:50 AM

VU is off the scale

Hey, does anyone know where to get the jack in the picture from for your ipod.

It makes everthing look so nice and clean. Also where did the holder come from for the ipod.

I wanted to get all the info before I set up with the Ipod in my Hummer.

Then off to put one in the Mini. haha.

Vu
Old 07-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Don't know about that particular "jack" I use the Belkin Ipod Charger. I have it plugged into the rear 12V on the drivers side of the console. I then ran the wire up through the center console and out from the lid. I did have to enlarge a hole in the tray that sits in the center console. The Belkin charger plugs into the bottom of the Ipod. Where the charger plugs into the 12V it has a mini-plug to run the miniplug to RCA cable to the PAC device. I just ran my mini-plug to RCA cord through the center console and out of the back of the console to the Belkin charger. As for holding the Ipod I bought the cup holder Ipod holder. Got it on ebay for about $20 incl shipping. CompUSA carries both the holder and the Belkin Charger. Let me know if I can help you! My setup looks just like the ones in the pics above except for keeping the Ipod in the cupholder mount.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 PM

VU is off the scale

Thanks for the info, this helps my setup alot.

I am going to do the install this weekend, and I can't wait.

VU
Old 07-17-2004, 12:33 AM

hummer17 is off the scale

Zing / Klaus / JWM3:

Seems that the PAC device allows the radio to recognize the AUX source (in this case a MP3 player)...

Can the MP3 player then be controlled by the radio to select tracks, etc (or through the steering wheel)???

Does your radio display show the track name?

I've seen new interface units for the iPOD that do this with certain head units.

BMW even has an interface that is backwards compatible to 2003 models that allows an iPOD to be recognized as an external CD changer and displays the track name on the radio plus can be controlled (to some degree -you have to setup special playlists) through the radio controls and steering wheel controls while the iPOD is in the glove compartment...

JWM - what is the connector you are using - power and audio signal??