H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 PM

BobPri is off the scale

I normally change my own oil and found the oil filter on the front passenger corner of the engine in my 2006 H3, but can't determine how to gain access to the oil filter to remove it and put a new one on. Is there some part or cover that has to be removed first in order to gain access to this oil filter? Thanks alot.
Bob
Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 PM

BobPri is off the scale

I normally change my own oil and found the oil filter on the front passenger corner of the engine in my 2006 H3, but can't determine how to gain access to the oil filter to remove it and put a new one on. Is there some part or cover that has to be removed first in order to gain access to this oil filter? Thanks alot.
Bob
Old 11-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobPri:
Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 simple steps to changing oil filter.

1. Let

2.Dealer

3.Do it
Old 11-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Location: Killing Fields or Antenora...if u know where that is contact me NOW.
H3OwnerDiz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobPri:
Is there some part or cover that has to be removed first in order to gain access to this oil filter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, the skid plate. Search the forum, there are details posted here somewhere....

Boulder Grey H3
Old 11-03-2005, 06:22 PM

firm is off the scale

How often should you take your H3 in for service? They put this sticker on it that says 3,000 miles. However the receipt says 3750 miles.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firm:
How often should you take your H3 in for service? They put this sticker on it that says 3,000 miles. However the receipt says 3750 miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let the truck tell you when it needs oil change.I have 4600 miles on mine and the oil life is at 78% left.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firm:
How often should you take your H3 in for service? They put this sticker on it that says 3,000 miles. However the receipt says 3750 miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let the truck tell you when it needs oil change.I have 4600 miles on mine and the oil life is at 78% left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for the oil change, remove the two bolts at the front of the of the front skid plate, then loosen the rear bolts at the rear of the front skid plate, loosen the rear bolts at the rear fo the second skid plate, and remove both skid plates. Then, change the oil. Not really that hard.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 AM

ODAMO is off the scale

Can a remote filter be put on to eliminate having to do that procedure at every oil change?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

f5fstop, how can I tell how much oil life I have left. You stated that you have 78% left.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

f5fstop, I'm sorry the question was intended for First Hummer
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Hummer Guru

That's ok.

ODAMO...it is really not hard to remove those four bolts.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waxing:
f5fstop, I'm sorry the question was intended for First Hummer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wax , you can sign up with Onstar to have your vehicle send you an email with a diognostics of your vehicle each month ,thats where it tells you how much oil life you have left.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

First Hummer, thanks for the info. I called On star it took about 30 seconds to set up. They will start e-mailing reports out once a month. Personally I think this a really good feature.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:44 AM

ODAMO is off the scale

This on star thing really worries me. It seems that BIG brother can keep an eye on your every move. If they can email you telling how much oil life you have left, what else is it monitoring & how is all the info being used? If you run out of gas does it know this and where you are? If you get stuck out in the boonies does it also know this and can determine you may not be where you should be?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ODAMO:
This on star thing really worries me. It seems that BIG brother can keep an eye on your every move. If they can email you telling how much oil life you have left, what else is it monitoring & how is all the info being used? If you run out of gas does it know this and where you are? If you get stuck out in the boonies does it also know this and can determine you may not be where you should be? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be paranoid. Onstar does not track you for the fun of it. For one thing, an employee would be fired, and they don't have time to track you.
The report sent to onstar on your vehicle diagnosis is set up when you agree to it. The module will send a report of engine informaiton to onstar on a certain day, if the vehicle is off that day, it will send it the next time the vehicle is started.
Your spouse cannot call onstar and ask them what bar you are in. Only way onstar will track your vehicle is if you call for directions, your air bags go off, or a police agency with the right code number calls because you have reported the vehicle stolen.
As for out in the boonies, onstar could care less. It does not know you ran out of gas, unless you call them. When you call (other than the phone), they do get a signal as to where you are located. But there is no place you are not supposed to be. Heck, you could be inside the gold vault in Fort Knox and they would care less.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Fstop is right, there's nothing to it and it probably adds less than 10 minutes to changing your oil. I've changed my oil myself 5 times now and it's a snap after you do the first one and I'm an old fashioned change it at 3,000 miles regardless person. I have a pneumatic wrench in the garage off a Sear's Crafstman compressor that makes doing it yourself a 3 minute skidplate off and on job -- a man can never have too many tools! On the road, I had to recommend at a quick lube they take off the skid plates, because they were trying to do it without and that is just about impossible.