H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 AM

Fistville is off the scale

Ok so I stumbled upon a little gem here. I have the oppurtunity to trade my Orange H2 with 11k miles on it and 10 grand for this 03 Blue Soft-Top H1 with 1300 miles. Now, I have driven both. Frankly I like driving the H1 more. What would you guys do? please disregard matinence issues. Also, I have plans to buy an h1 in the next 2 years, this sweet deal fell in my lap, and it happens to be my second favorite color.

Sorry about the white out, would rather not have my mom in the picture

Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 AM

Ok so I stumbled upon a little gem here. I have the oppurtunity to trade my Orange H2 with 11k miles on it and 10 grand for this 03 Blue Soft-Top H1 with 1300 miles. Now, I have driven both. Frankly I like driving the H1 more. What would you guys do? please disregard matinence issues. Also, I have plans to buy an h1 in the next 2 years, this sweet deal fell in my lap, and it happens to be my second favorite color.

Sorry about the white out, would rather not have my mom in the picture

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM

bigger versions

Old 09-09-2003, 12:59 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Take the H1 that is a very fair deal in your favor!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Decisions, decisions. Here is the question: Does the H1 outperform the H2 in:

On-road=No
Off-road=Not really, maybe in some situations but the H2 does better in others. Where we have been driving the trails are too damn narrow for the H1.
Comfort=Not even close!

It's important to remember the only reason the H1 is so much more expensive than the H2 is because it is not mass produced. All around the H2 is a much better vehicle and I guarantee some day (if you off-road) an H2 will go somewhere you can't in your H1!

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Stick with your H2 and enjoy everything it can do.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:49 AM

HeeHaw is off the scale

Take the H1. You can always get another H2, but good deals are rare like this for an H1

HeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
Old 09-09-2003, 01:58 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with HeeHaw. I love my H2, but take the give-away and then buy another H2 at a discount in a couple of months. You can always sell the H1-maybe for a profit.

Plus the color isn't bad. I had one exactly like it for a demo while mine was in the shop. Pretty cool rig. Other than my ass hurt and my right leg went numb on long drives.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:20 AM

Jigga is off the scale

a blue open-top H1 is my dream car... I'd take it.

2003 Pewter H2 with Adventure Package.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:45 AM

argonaut is off the scale

I'd stick with the H2. The H1 is so uncomfortable and unpractical.

'03 H2 Sunset Orange No mods
'03 BMW M3 Convertible
'02 BMW M5
Old 09-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Take the H1, otherwise you'll never know and you'll always regret not taking it.
After 11K miles in H2, you've been there and done that.
$50K is an okay deal, that'll be how much you can get for it when you sell the H1 in a year, if you are lucky. Safe deal minimizes your loss.

Of course, as you know sellers are rarely stupid, there is always a reason why a deal is a deal. If the seller can get $80K for it, he would not be selling it for $50K. (Your 11K used H2 wholesale $40K, retail $45K max)

When you sell your H1 later, there'll be many more used H2s waiting for you at $$35K-$40K or less, that is if you want another H2. So many exciting automobiles to move on to.

Go for it.

Personally, I'll keep my perfect H2. Baby blue is not for me and I can't handle constant repairs. Above all, I need a turnkey vehicle, just get in and drive.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I think it really boils down to what you are trying to achieve.......

Let me just throw out a few things that have not been covered here:

The soft-top is not a vehicle that can be well secured: My buddy's soft-top just got burglarized....they merely cut the plastic rear window and slipped right in. They found nothing of value, but the $1,200 cost to replace the top was infuriating. Security with a soft-top is a huge compromise. Plan to carry cargo or valuables?

The top is a total bitch to get on & off, they make a lot of noise due to wind, and they often leak. Dust infiltrates easily too. It's not a convertible that pops up & down at will....taking the top off is a committment...almost a seasonal thing. Just FYI.

You never really want to take the soft-top offroad as a comvertible...while it seems neat, the dust-factor is absolutely absurd. Even alone the dust follows you. Please trust me on this...my buddy Craig still hasn't let me off the hook for Slitherfest! (desert run where I convinced him to run topless to take-in the stars & night air. Sheesh! His CD player door wouldn't operate and the whole thing got coated with dust!!!!!

I'm very curious why they can let it go for anything less then $76,000....something's up with that?

If you're looking to do hardcore offroading, I'd suggest a nice '98 with some existing abuse....why trash a primo?

The H1 does offer more performance offroad, but it's marginal. During our desert run we had 2-3 H1's having issues here and there...while the H2's, even in the hands of total newbies...just cake-walked through it all! The H1 is only more capable in the hands a skilled and expereinced driver.

Bottom line, about 5" wider, deeper water capability, some more side-slope and more dramatic approach/departure angles. Stuff you may not use/need.

Comfort blows, ride is harsh, noise is mediocre...but it is undoubtedly the REAL-DEAL...it's a genuine Hummer as the people know it.

In closing: pursue that which puts the greatest smile on your face. Only you can decide.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I think it really boils down to what you are trying to achieve.......

Let me just throw out a few things that have not been covered here:

The soft-top is not a vehicle that can be well secured: My buddy's soft-top just got burglarized....they merely cut the plastic rear window and slipped right in. They found nothing of value, but the $1,200 cost to replace the top was infuriating. Security with a soft-top is a huge compromise. Plan to carry cargo or valuables?

The top is a total bitch to get on & off, they make a lot of noise due to wind, and they often leak. Dust infiltrates easily too. It's not a convertible that pops up & down at will....taking the top off is a committment...almost a seasonal thing. Just FYI.

You never really want to take the soft-top offroad as a comvertible...while it seems neat, the dust-factor is absolutely absurd. Even alone the dust follows you. Please trust me on this...my buddy Craig still hasn't let me off the hook for Slitherfest! (desert run where I convinced him to run topless to take-in the stars & night air. Sheesh! His CD player door wouldn't operate and the whole thing got coated with dust!!!!!

I'm very curious why they can let it go for anything less then $76,000....something's up with that?

If you're looking to do hardcore offroading, I'd suggest a nice '98 with some existing abuse....why trash a primo?

The H1 does offer more performance offroad, but it's marginal. During our desert run we had 2-3 H1's having issues here and there...while the H2's, even in the hands of total newbies...just cake-walked through it all! The H1 is only more capable in the hands a skilled and expereinced driver.

Bottom line, about 5" wider, deeper water capability, some more side-slope and more dramatic approach/departure angles. Stuff you may not use/need.

Comfort blows, ride is harsh, noise is mediocre...but it is undoubtedly the REAL-DEAL...it's a genuine Hummer as the people know it.

In closing: pursue that which puts the greatest smile on your face. Only you can decide.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Thanks for the kudo's Phil....right back at ya!

The funny thing about the soft-top...owners either love 'em or hate 'em. You hear "I got rid of mine and would NEVER own one again"....or "it's the only model I'd ever own"

tough call, tough call. As for me, I'm inclined towards the soft-top...it's lighter and more spunky-looling. The wagon is bulky and has that huge flat-roof going on. Yes, the wagon is more practical......but since when has Hummer been anything about practical????
Old 09-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Fistville. Remember comfort and on-road handling is your opinion not someone elses. Before I bought my H1 I test drove an H2. Comfort to me was not there. I have driven my H1 at 85mph and it was smooth sailing the whole way. Fact is I didn't even know I was going that fast. I don't like stepping down or up into a vehicle either so the H2 was too high for me. The H1 is an easy slide in for me. But then again this is just my opinion and it shouldn't matter.

The deal sounds good though.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

Fistville. Remember comfort and on-road handling is your opinion not someone elses. Before I bought my H1 I test drove an H2. Comfort to me was not there. I have driven my H1 at 85mph and it was smooth sailing the whole way. Fact is I didn't even know I was going that fast. I don't like stepping down or up into a vehicle either so the H2 was too high for me. The H1 is an easy slide in for me. But then again this is just my opinion and it shouldn't matter.

The deal sounds good though.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 AM

AL  MOORE is off the scale

The H1. Just based on looks. If security is a factor, .... think twice.

"Follow the white rabbit..." Morpheus 1999
Old 09-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

I noticed something no one touched on here, everyone talks about the off-road factor. Are you planning to go off-road? If not and you want it as a Cruiser then maybe the H1 is for you, it will grab lots of attention and give you big smiles and plus after a year go back and grab a H2 if you want to. However, if you plan on using this as a daily driver or going off-roading with it Steve R makes a good point and maybe the H2 is for you, but remember that this offer doesn't happen everyday.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sounds like you already made up your mind, go for it! No need to worry about anything else, except where to get a hard top made.