H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn it! First problem poped up.. or I should say in. Parked in the driveway. It's on a hill that faces downward away from the house. when running the hose over the roof (not dirrectly on the sunroof either) the wind deflector fills up with water. than it comes into the truck onto the dash. M.F'r

I check to see if it was the marker lights; it wasn't.

I checked to see if it was the antenna on the roof; it wasn't. The water comes in through the sun roof somewhere in the front.

I'm sure this insn't the first sunroof to have water coming in either.

So here's my Questions.

1) is this a simple fix? replace sunroof gasket?

2) how does the sunroof come out? from the inside or pull up from the outside?

Yes, the dealer will be doing this, as it only has 2200 miles, but the rack is going on Monday. If the sunroof has to be pulled from the outside, i can just see some dumbass screwing up all the wiring on the lights.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Damn it! First problem poped up.. or I should say in. Parked in the driveway. It's on a hill that faces downward away from the house. when running the hose over the roof (not dirrectly on the sunroof either) the wind deflector fills up with water. than it comes into the truck onto the dash. M.F'r

I checked to see if it was the antenna on the roof; it wasn't. The water comes in through the sun roof somewhere in the front.

So here's my Questions.

Yes, the dealer will be doing this, as it only has 2200 miles, but the rack is going on Monday. If the sunroof has to be pulled from the outside, i can just see some dumbass screwing up all the wiring on the lights.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Oh, drains seem to be Ok too. dumped a few LARGE glasses of water down them and they drain fine.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The whole sunroof assembly does remove from the inside but the it looks like the whole headliner would have to be removed also.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive this really dumb question, but it's something I might overlook. Are you certain that the suroof was closed all the way? Did you open, reclose and retest?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:34 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:

So here's my Questions.

Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Body - Sunroof Water Leaks

Bulletin No.: 03-08-57-002

Date: May 07, 2003

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Water Leak From Sunroof Area (Replace Drain Hoses)

Models:
2003 HUMMER H2

Condition

Some customers may comment on a water leak from the sunroof area.

Cause

One or both of the drain hoses from the front corners of the sunroof module may be kinked under the instrument panel (IP).

Correction

Replace both sunroof front drain hoses with an updated design part using the following procedure:
Old 03-20-2005, 08:45 PM

I would clean the seal thoroughly first. You might want to treat it with a conditioner, silicone, etc. Then operate it open/close & see if it appears to be seating & sealing correctly. If it still leaks, I would suspect the drains. The drains may be able to handle a "glass" of water but not the "pond" you created.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:31 PM

There are also mechanical adjustments to the sunroof. Here's the procedure. If you suspect this is the problem you may want the dealer to do this under warranty.

1. In order to adjust the glass height, the sunroof glass must be in the zero, closed, position. IMPORTANT: Do not remove the screws from the sunroof mechanism.
2. Loosen the 4 adjustment screws NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
3. Adjust the rear glass panel (1) so that it is flush with the roof panel (3), 0-2.0 mm (0.079 in) above 3. Tighten Tighten all 4 adjustment screws to 7 N.m (62 lb in) .
4. Adjust the front glass panel (2) so that it is flush with the roof panel (3), 0-2.0 mm (0.079 in) below 3. Tighten Tighten all 4 adjustment screws to 7 N.m (62 lb in) .
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 AM

crash is off the scale

LasVegas pretty much has nailed it. More than likely your drain hoses are kinked. We have been seeing alot of them lately, and all I gotta say.. The repair SUCKS...
Old 03-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Oh, drains seem to be Ok too. dumped a few LARGE glasses of water down them and they drain fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-21-2005, 02:24 AM

crash is off the scale

Oh, drains seem to be Ok too. dumped a few LARGE glasses of water down them and they drain fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though the hoses are kinked, they will still flow, but not very well. Use "glass's" of water is not enough fluid to cause a backup....
Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Hummer Guru

Well, the dealer will have to check them I guess. I like to do the work myself; this way I know some hack doens't screw something else up.

I'll let you all know what they say. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:45 AM

crash is off the scale

Well, the dealer will have to check them I guess. I like to do the work myself; this way I know some hack doens't screw something else up.

I'll let you all know what they say. Thanks for the info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good call, as I am sure you "really" don't wanna remove your dash
Old 03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I have yet to see an 05 with kinked sunroof drain hoses. It was a large problem on 03 models built before or around Feb of 03. Then they made some changes and it doesn't seem to heppen. Now sometimes I see them clogged with twigs if people like to park with the sunroof open under trees a lot. Due to your low mileage I doubt that. I do wonder if maybe your sunroof was cracked open and you didn't notice. Sorry, but from what I see everyday, that is my best guess. Either that or your sunroof drain tubes are getting clogged, or your sunroof is seriously out of adjustment, which you should be able to obviously see.
Goodluck, let us know how it turned out.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

lose nut behind the wheel!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 PM

crash is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
I have yet to see an 05 with kinked sunroof drain hoses. It was a large problem on 03 models built before or around Feb of 03. Then they made some changes and it doesn't seem to heppen. Now sometimes I see them clogged with twigs if people like to park with the sunroof open under trees a lot. Due to your low mileage I doubt that. I do wonder if maybe your sunroof was cracked open and you didn't notice. Sorry, but from what I see everyday, that is my best guess. Either that or your sunroof drain tubes are getting clogged, or your sunroof is seriously out of adjustment, which you should be able to obviously see.
Goodluck, let us know how it turned out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have seen 2 of them so far that I know of....
Old 03-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Hummer Guru

You guys mean that I have to close the sunroof all the way so water will not to leak in?

Yes, I checked! When the sunroof is all the way closed, and the water is pooled on top of the sunroof damned up by the wind deflector, it leaks in. Next Tuesday it goes into the dealer. He said there should be no leaking if it is closed all the way. said it may need ot be adjusted (may not be clsoing 100%, maybe only 99%) and this is causing the issue.
I'll find out next week.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Hummer Professional

Crash, have you seen 2 so far on the 05's? If so, have they been kinked where they come out by the wiper motors like on the early 03's?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:09 PM

crash is off the scale

To the best of my knowledge they were pinched in the same place. I have been lucky and haven't personally had to do one yet (The lower guys usually get stuck with them). And I would probably guess they were very early in 05' production, if I were to guess.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Hummer Professional

You talk like fixing those is a crappy job.
I take it that you guys don't go from the wiper motor end to try to unkink these. That's how we do it and it's gravy.