H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-25-2005, 06:02 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Has anyone had their sunroof replaced? I had some problems with my sunroof not opening smoothly. Dealer said the cables, which can not be lubricated because they are enclosed, are binding. With H2s the whole sun roof module needs to be replaced.

The mechanic advised not doing it unless the sunroof completely fails. He said the potential for leaks and problems with the headliner are not worth the risk. According to the mechanic, all the wires routed overhead are glued to the headliner and can come loose when its dropped. If the wires come loose they will flip around in the healiner when it's replaced and cause noise as a result.

It's like the sideview mirros -- over engineered to the point that there is no easy fix, just replace the whole unit.

Any experience or suggestions?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:02 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Has anyone had their sunroof replaced? I had some problems with my sunroof not opening smoothly. Dealer said the cables, which can not be lubricated because they are enclosed, are binding. With H2s the whole sun roof module needs to be replaced.

The mechanic advised not doing it unless the sunroof completely fails. He said the potential for leaks and problems with the headliner are not worth the risk. According to the mechanic, all the wires routed overhead are glued to the headliner and can come loose when its dropped. If the wires come loose they will flip around in the healiner when it's replaced and cause noise as a result.

It's like the sideview mirros -- over engineered to the point that there is no easy fix, just replace the whole unit.

Any experience or suggestions?
Old 03-25-2005, 06:08 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

No experience replacing but it sounds like they're just trying to get out of the work. It is replaceable and they should do it and do it correctly. That's what you paid the money for. And I question whether it's the cables or defective/weak/intermittent motor/module assembly. No known issues with the cables.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:26 PM

wch3 is off the scale

The dealership wanted to do it but when I spoke with the mechanic who looked at it, he advised against it. He said the cable are like those used in a speedometer and there is no way to grease them so they can bind up if not greased properly at the time of their manufature.

I just don't want to creat more problems. But thanks for the input. I was just curious to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

Love the truck.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:11 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

You say open/close "smoothly". What exactly do you mean? That can also be caused by intermittent electrical problems. I would believe that before I would believe the cables. Mechanic just doesn't want to do it because it's a loser job.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:25 PM

wch3 is off the scale

When opening in the tilt-up mode it works fine but when closing it, it will stutter a bit as it closes but only on one side. When it opens in the slid-back mode, it stutters again at the beginning but finishes running smoothly.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

is it warranty??
if so tell them to fix it and if it is not acceptable to you, make them fix it again. leaks or noises, you are in control when it comes to warranty issues.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:07 PM

wch3 is off the scale

yup. It's under warranty. I have already put 30.0 miles on it since purchasing it in Aug03. Purchased an extended warranty as well.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

No question about it, I would definitely have them to fix it. Don't put up with their BS .
Old 03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Yes, tell them not acceptable. They can replace the entire sunroof assm. It is not nearly as hard as he is making it sound. It pays very well also, he should jump on this job.
Finally, when they are finished, before you leave. Look over your headliner for any creases or stains. If he does the job the smart way, he will just lower the headliner and then pull the sunroof out the back. If he tries to pull the whole headliner out, chances are he'll bend it and leave a crease mark. As far as wires being glued to the headliner he's right, but that shouldn't be any issue. He could always reglue them, or put some foam around the harness to keep it quiet. Now go get em.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:13 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Hey Hummertech. Thanks for the info. The mechanic did stress that if I did go forward with the sunroof replacement to ensure the service manager order all new fastners. I am taking note of the crease and suggestion to remove the sunroof out the back.

The foam idea is great. I have some flipping around over the front passenger's head for a while now. Only acts up around 70-80 mph or when a strong wind hits the front of the truck.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

intimidator is off the scale

find another technician. this guy is a loser. i've worked for gm 20yrs. he;s just dodging the job because it pay's i think 1.8hrs. the noise you are describing in your last post is most likley the windshield moulding vibrating at highway speeds.also i would have this checked by another tech it could just be a track lubrication issue. my .02cents
Old 03-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Hummer Professional

The job would actually pay him 5.4 hours, and shouldn't take him more than 2 hours to do. Intimidator is right on when he says your windshield moldings are the noise you get. Does this dealership you go to only sell one H2 a month or something? This is all common simple stuff.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Sales wise, I have no clue how they move a month. I think I'm gonna play with it to see what happens. If I do have them replace it I am certainly going to have list of things to look out for thanks to everyone's input.

BTW, does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the fuel filter? I hate paying for stuff that I can do myself.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Professional

It's a little hard to see because it is over
the frame rail, right in front of the gas tank.
Yo have one 8mm or 5/16 will work, bolt that holds a little plastic bracket around that. take that bolt out, then you just unclip the lines. Not too tough. Just make sure you clip the lines in correctly. You don't want them to pop out going down the road.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:53 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Thanks. When I went in for the sunroof and mirror (out of synch; needed to be replaced), they did a Schedule "C" tune-up which like an idiot i said fine to since i was in rush and heading out on a trip. Was charged 100% over the retail for the air and fuel filters and the pcv valve plus time to replace them, which I am sure amounted to about 15-20 minutes not the 1.5 hrs charged. I don't mind paying for the oil changes but simple things like filters are such a rip-off. Learned my lesson. On my jeep replacing the fuel filter was a bit tricky and not easy to get to. The service manager made it seem like the fuel filter on the H2 was similarly tucked away. But I know. Thanks Hummertech for the info. I think I'll leave it just fluid changes and rotating the tires to the dealer. BTW how often should the dealer scan the on-board computer for software updates?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

intimidator is off the scale

the dealer won't check for pcm updates or any other module updates unless you have a concern that might require them to check. also on the fuel filter note. just make sure to relieve the pressure in the fuel system or you will end up in a bath of gasoline.this can be done by removing the fuel cap and pushing the shrader valve in on the fuel rail under the hood.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Hummer Professional

As far as computer updates go let me mention this. Look at the sticker on the door jamb of your lf door and look at the build date. If it is something in 02, you have a ****load of updates. Otherwise, the only main ones I can think of off the top of my head, are a updated so the warning chime doesn't ding so damn loud, and an updated to eliminate a trans clunk when you're coming to a stop and it downshifts.