H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

HUMRCHIC is off the scale

OK, When I bought my Hummer a month ago it had 32 miles on it. It now has 3600 miles on it. I know to change the oil every 3000k miles. However, I get the emails from OnStar, they said I have 73% Oil Life remaining and they will email me when it needs changed. Is this true or should I get it changed? AND>..What is a GREAT oil to use?

See where other H3 owners are. Click Here

http://www.frappr.com/hummerh3owners

Join our Hummer Community and CHAT live with other H3 owners!!!
http://groups.msn.com/H3Owners
Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

Trinity is off the scale

I have about 4500 miles on mine and decided to change the oil for the first time. Went with 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic 15,000 extended mileage with a Mobil 1 M1-206 filter.

Have used this with good success in other vehicles. About $25 bucks for a five quart jug at Wally-World, $4.50 for a single quart (needs 6 quarts per manual), and $10 for a filter at AutoZone.

Changing the filter is a major pain. 1.) Remove 2 skid plates to access everything. 2.) Filter just above cross member, tight space, drips on everything, and Hercules put it on at the factory.

First time is always a pain, but subsequent changes should be easier. My $.02.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

Bling is off the scale

You know to change the oil every 3000 mile because the oil companies have programmed your brain to change it this often. 10K is usually fine - if you are uncomfortable do 7500-8000 miles.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Your supposed to change the oil

I just though that was something they did when you traded it in

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

You may want to change the initial factory break-in oil early. Thereafter, I'd trust the computer over the old 3000 mile wive's tale.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/1...381044931#8381044931

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/6...981081541#5981081541
Old 03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I did my first change at 1,400 miles second at 4,600 miles third at 8,000 miles.Im going to stick to 3000 to 3500 miles on oil change I expect to keep the H3 well past 100,000 miles.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthKarl:
You may want to change the initial factory break-in oil early. Thereafter, I'd trust the computer over the old 3000 mile wive's tale.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/1...381044931#8381044931

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/6...981081541#5981081541

For the best oil change advice, read above.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Hummer Guru

I was just at the dealership a couple of hours ago and ask the service manager if I should go by the Oil Life reading or every so many miles. He said if you don't drive the vehicle every day you will not get the same oil life readings as you will if you drive it every day. I have the service plan for every 3K so that is what I will do.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
I was just at the dealership a couple of hours ago and ask the service manager if I should go by the Oil Life reading or every so many miles. He said if you don't drive the vehicle every day you will not get the same oil life readings as you will if you drive it every day. I have the service plan for every 3K so that is what I will do.

The only way I would agree with that statement from the SM is if he is talking about someone who drives once or twice a week, with a few days in between, and never warms up the oil enough to burn off any condensation. Then, the oil life indicator system could be incorrect (a lot also depends on the climate...ambient temps, humidity, etc.)
However, if you are driving your vehicle two or more times a week, and the trips are long enough to allow the condensation in the oil to burn off, then the oil life indicator system is correct.
Do a search on the internet, and the people who say change your oil every 3K, are somehow linked to the oil companies via oil change shops, oil executives, or they base part of their income on oil changes. Service managers and service advisers make extra money for selling oil changes. Don't want to say someone is not entitled to earn a living, but not from selling services and liquids that are not required.
GM dealers went haywire when GM introduced the oil life monitoring system years ago. It greatly reduced their income from oil changes.
As I have said before, and I will continue to say, unless you have your oil analyzed, there is really know way to know if your oil change was required or not.
I have had oil analyzed repeatedly on my Vette and my Jeep (next oil change on the H3 will be analyzed). And, at no time have I ever had used oil in my engine that was not capable of performing as good as new oil. The total base count numbers were always above the low end, and this was with 6-8K on the oil.

If you have a service plan already paid, that gives you 3K oil changes do it; it certainly can't hurt. However, for those who insist 3K oil changes are required, when the vehicle is driven normally, then you are really wasting your money, and helping big oil make more higher profits. So, for those people, please use Mobil/Exxon and Shell products so that I can at least see an increase in a large portion of my stock portfolio. Especially, since my GM stock is almost worthless.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Hummer Guru

As usual, very good input fstop. I have always done my changes in the 5K range in the past and usually did them myself. Never had the oil analyzed but at least it always looked good

I normally would not have purchased a service plan as I never go to a dealership to have work done unless it is warranty. When all was said and done they let me pick and choose what features I wanted from there service plan packages and the monthly payment only went up $8 so works for me. If I only drive 1K a month it will cost me $24 for the oil changes based on what I am paying and all the other stuff, the real benefits I get, work out to be free

I could not believe what they wanted when he first presented it to me, my payment would have gone up over $60 for the lowest level plan. That would have been like $180 per oil change

Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Disnydad is off the scale

With the wifes Cadillac SRX we get it changed with the DIC tells us it's time, usually between 9,000 to 11,000 miles. We use synthetic in that one. With the Ford truck I use conventional oil and get it changed about every 5,000. When the H3 gets here I'll get it changed when the 'puter tells me to. But, I usually get the first one between 1,000 and 2,000 miles to start.