H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Magna Charger Question:

Ok I知 about to take the plunge tomorrow morning I知 having the Magna Charger installed.
Also having dual electric fans installed to replace the howling beast currently there and a tire carrier.

My question or questions for those who have had the Magna Charger installed.
Any regrets?
Would you do it again if you could?
Have you had any problems and how were they dealt with?
Did your local H2 dealer do the install?

Have you received the performance gains advertised? (63% - 125%) increase in horse power? What about the added torque? Is it what you expected?

I知 just a little nervous I guess. It is comforting that the dealer is going to stand behind the install and take care of any issue, or so I知 being told.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Hummer Deity

Magna Charger Question:

Ok I知 about to take the plunge tomorrow morning I知 having the Magna Charger installed.
Also having dual electric fans installed to replace the howling beast currently there and a tire carrier.

My question or questions for those who have had the Magna Charger installed.
Any regrets?
Would you do it again if you could?
Have you had any problems and how were they dealt with?
Did your local H2 dealer do the install?

Have you received the performance gains advertised? (63% - 125%) increase in horse power? What about the added torque? Is it what you expected?

I知 just a little nervous I guess. It is comforting that the dealer is going to stand behind the install and take care of any issue, or so I知 being told.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, don't get the fans if you plan on wheeling in deep water unless you have an auxillary cut off. I shredded both of mine at Paragon and that was not fun. It's now back to stock.

Answers to your questions:
1. No regrets. Love it.
2. Yes.
3. The problems I have had were dealt with by LPE in a very professional manner. I can't say the same for Mag. They did NOT cover the warranty work I had done even though that is part of their agreement with LPE. The sc's bearings needed replacing. LPE did pay for it and the work done at the dealership.
4. Dealer did not do the work, but they have been extremely helpful in all instances.
5. Perf. gains? Hell yeah.

Old video, but worth watching. You can't see the tires spinning at the line.
http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/albums...DLIGHTNING.wmv

Relax and congrats. I understand the issue with the bearings is quite rare. I just wish they would have taken care of it properly.

BTW, another forum member had a problem with his bearings and Mag sent them the replacement right away. I think it was kdio.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Hummer Novice

nikramos is off the scale

Ken,

It must be the bearing then that I have been hearing lately. It sounded like my engine was having the knock and ping. I knew it was coming from the pulleys. I am taking it back to the dealer since they installed it.
Re: questions from Fubar
I also test drove a non s/c H2 and it also had the intake and exhaust upgrades and I felt the huge amount of power difference immediately.
Just be prepared to pay for the premium fuel required. Unfortunately my magna H2 get only 7.5 mpg here in the Bay Area and I do not have a lead foot.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nikramos:
Ken,

It must be the bearing then that I have been hearing lately. It sounded like my engine was having the knock and ping. I knew it was coming from the pulleys. I am taking it back to the dealer since they installed it.
Re: questions from Fubar
I also test drove a non s/c H2 and it also had the intake and exhaust upgrades and I felt the huge amount of power difference immediately.
Just be prepared to pay for the premium fuel required. Unfortunately my magna H2 get only 7.5 mpg here in the Bay Area and I do not have a lead foot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken & nikramous
Thank you very much for your promt response.
Ken, Thanks for the video link very cool.

Its funny about the fule thing the Magna Charger site clearly states that there will be little to no change in fule mph. They do say 1mpg in the city.
Are you guys running high octane or can I get by with the lower grade stuff?

Good point Ken about the water crossing. I'll have them install a cut-off switch in the cab. I don't do a lot of serious off roading but it would be nice to be able to shut them down if needed.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Hummer Novice

nikramos is off the scale

Say goodbye to regular gas. You will damage your engine with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nikramos:
Say goodbye to regular gas. You will damage your engine with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that sucks Good thing the H2 is not my daily driver with gas over $2.00 per gal again. I'll ask the tecks at the dealership about the gas thing but I suspect you are proably correct.

Thanks,
Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Hummer Messiah

Just remember, I had much more done than just the sc and such. I get 11.3 mpg.

Make sure you turn the fans back on after you get out.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

originally posted by KenP,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>First of all, don't get the fans if you plan on wheeling in deep water unless you have an auxillary cut off. I shredded both of mine at Paragon and that was not fun. It's now back to stock.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And what a friggin nightmare that was! Thank God we had a Lingenfelter Feild Tech on hand!!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:

Make sure you turn the fans back on after you get out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More HP and 11.3mpg? Ill take that deal all day long...the increase of MPG from 10.8 is just gravy...

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:

Make sure you turn the fans back on after you get out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may regret this decision to go with a SC. Right now on the hiway I'm getting 14.5-15mpg hopefully it will not take too much of a nose drive.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:11 AM

CHarris is off the scale

I've got one that I installed myself. I only paid $4,587.00 for the supercharger. My local dealer wanted $10k installed. The most likely item to break is the transmission and a very good friend of mine is a transmission rebuilder that has severl 4l65E's running 10,s and even 9's on drag cars. I can get it rebuilt for parts only I'd rather insure myself than pay $5k for what might happen.

I've put 250 miles on it since installation. Very happy overall, no problems after installation was completed. I'm getting about 11 mpg average with mixed town and highway. I was getting 12 mpg average before the install. The deal with the lost mpg is that I am in the boost a lot because I live in a very hilly area. I've always bought premium anyway so no big change there. It's only about 15 cents a gallon difference between 87 and 92 here. That's only $4.50 a tank - no big deal.
I'll be doing electric fans for sure on mine. That's good for 15-20 rwhp on most trucks. Gotta be good for the H2 as well.

Do it, you'll like it.

Cory
2002 Firehawk #966 (Traded in)
Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Hummer Messiah

I have a lead foot too. It's not that I speed, I just get to the limit really fast. nik, I hope mag sends the stuff quickly and the dealership takes care of you.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHarris:
I've got one that I installed myself. I only paid $4,587.00 for the supercharger. My local dealer wanted $10k installed. The most likely item to break is the transmission and a very good friend of mine is a transmission rebuilder that has severl 4l65E's running 10,s and even 9's on drag cars. I can get it rebuilt for parts only I'd rather insure myself than pay $5k for what might happen.

I've put 250 miles on it since installation. Very happy overall, no problems after installation was completed. I'm getting about 11 mpg average with mixed town and highway. I was getting 12 mpg average before the install. The deal with the lost mpg is that I am in the boost a lot because I live in a very hilly area. I've always bought premium anyway so no big change there. It's only about 15 cents a gallon difference between 87 and 92 here. That's only $4.50 a tank - no big deal.
I'll be doing electric fans for sure on mine. That's good for 15-20 rwhp on most trucks. Gotta be good for the H2 as well.

Do it, you'll like it.

Cory <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CHarris:
Thank you for your input and for putting me at ease. It sounds like if I was getting a certain mpg before the install chances are pretty good it will be around the same after assuming I can keep my foot out of it.

You are absolutely right about the difference in gas. I hadn't really thought about it but if $4.50 is all the difference per tank full,there is no decision just use the high octaine and be safe. So it's 64.50 instead of 60.00 assuming you get 30 gallons in at or around $2.00 per gallon..

I'm not a lead foot or into racig so I'm not really worried about the trans breaking. I will ask the tech tomorrow about his thoughts on the subject.

I wouldn't pay $10k for just a SC either. I think they are charging me $6,200 for the magna installed and $1,200 for the fans and another $900 for the tire carrier. Those last two imtems may be swithched I don't remember exactly. Then of course there is the tax. Uncle Sam has to be part of the party, damm party crasher.

Sleep time; a little less than 9 hours and it's off to the shop for the upgrades.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:21 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Hey KenP
Buddy could You give Me the brand and part # for the twin electric fans I have actually just been assuming You had flex-a-lite but, felt i would ask. I have them on My 99 silverado by flexalite and it is amasing the difference it makes. I can see the peril of having electric if hitting water off road. After going thru deep water do You delay a little time before flipping the fan switch on to allow for water drainge to be safe?
Thanks for all the info You have shared with Me. I'm working on My set up hopefully installed by end of Feb. 05. unless I go STS route if they make a good enough offer to justify trying it. Then if I do not get performance I can come back to MC.
Mostly I'm just curious to try the STS and will be contacting and getting more info tuesday. I just have this weird thing about liking to try something out of the ordinary not neccessarily a trail blazer type attitude but, that is the way I have always been in My business life.
I guess that is what makes a person an entrepreneur.
Oh, can You shed some light on this bearing situation I keep reading about? Is there a defect here that needs to be addressed by Magna Charger or just coincedence? I have to be honest and say it is causing Me some concern as I read a few and I do understand can be just a few bearing problems as far as I know.
But, what concerns Me You went TOP OF THE LINE as far as what could be done to assure a safe and dependable install and functionally.
I know We have PM'd about some of this but after hearing a few more complaints I'm a little more concerned at just this point and time about the bearing situation.
PM Me if You like or just repost so others May benefit.
I appoligise for so many questions at once but I hope You do not mind addressing them to help me in My choices etc.
I forgot I carry the video of You crushing the lightning on My laptop and I'm always pulling it out when I get in a discussion about there is no way a 7000 lb. rig can do that. I have told some if Your willing to put Your money where Your mouth is I'll get My friend to bring His H2 down here and I'll put up the money and after He leaves You on the line I'll win enough to make it worth His time to get here. That ussually ends the convo. at that point.
THANKS

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM

CHarris is off the scale

Taz,

You should take a look over at the truck section on LS1tech.com. There are a lot of trucks running the magnacharger over there and a much greater sample than the relatively few magnacharged H2's posting over here.
As I installed my own kit at home, I found several issues with the installation guide that I documented and sent in to Magnacharger in a report. They took it all in and should be updating the install guides issued with the H2 kit soon. Other than my install issues - all of which were over come with additional install time and some thought - I haven't heard anyone else having any real problem with the set up.

Cory
Old 02-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

Taz, Cory is right about the info at ls1tech. Check it out. I would not worry about the bearing issue. We are talking about a small number when compared to all the units sold. I was not upset about the bearings anyway, just Mag's lack of assistance and not standing by their product in this case. On the otherhand, other's have been taken care of. For instance, LPE had a 'vette with a bearing problem just weeks before I did and Mag took care of that one.

As for the fans, mine have been gone since Paragon. They were twin Flex-a-Lite fans. I think they were 15". That's what BKLYN and I were hooking up in this pic. The problem was the blades, not the motor. The blades just sheared off against the resistance of the water. I dare say you could just turn them right back on.

The fan on the left here was missing one blade and later shed most of the rest. I made it 6 hours home with 1 1/2 fans and no overheating.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

Here is a pic of the "Official Lingenfelter Tech", BKLYN and the caption from Zing on the photo:
Ta da...Lingenfelter Field Tech in action! Lesson learned: avoid aftermarket fans. Ken installed an electric fan to draw a bit more horsepower from the engine, and when we were playing in the mud the water knocked the blades right off the fan and he began to overheat. When we found the problem we observed the blades breaking off at our fingertips. Cheap plastic. One of the two fans was still in tact but the heat sensor wasn't working and the fan wouldn't turn on, so Peter and Ken rigged up some wire we had and bypassed the sensor to run the fan to get us back to the campsite. We then went out and got a replacement fan being installed here so Ken could do the trip back to VA.

Here is a link to when I think it happened. Before you click, you're better off right clicking and "saving as" the playing off your hard drive since the server very is slow. Size is about 5 MB each.
http://www.checkbuddy.net/H2/118_1833.AVI
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 AM

CHarris is off the scale

I don't have the part numbers, but I know GM trucks went to E-fans on the 2005 model trucks. As we share many 3/4 ton parts (for instance the radiator!) I am going to order stock fans and the shroud and then use an aftermarket turn on sensor and relay. It'll look stock and fit perfectly. Might even fool a dealer at service time... nah - probably won't fool them, but it'll look nice.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Not to steal this thread, but I noticed that the Whipple Supercharger with intercooler is available. I too am trying to decide which way to go had my mine made up on the Magna, when I read the old post. Seems there was a following for the Whipple, but was squashed due to no intercooler. Now that one is available does anyone have any real world data on which mibht give the best pulling power, I guess low end torque is what I need ! I hate to ask but what is the majority opinion as to which would be better for towing? Not gas mileage, Not 0 - 60 TOWING?

Thanks