H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-27-2005, 03:07 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

I need to pick up a bike rack but since I have the crossbows I'm considering using a roof-mounted version instead of the hitch style.

I park in a garage and I don’t have much clearance to height warning bar. The stock antenna hit it so I had to replace it with one of those shorter Antenna-X versions.

If anybody has one of these roof mounted bike racks (and if you have the time) can you tell me if it appears to be higher than the stock antenna?

Yakima or Thule either one is fine by me. Does anybody know who makes the factory version?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 03:07 PM

I need to pick up a bike rack but since I have the crossbows I'm considering using a roof-mounted version instead of the hitch style.

I park in a garage and I don’t have much clearance to height warning bar. The stock antenna hit it so I had to replace it with one of those shorter Antenna-X versions.

If anybody has one of these roof mounted bike racks (and if you have the time) can you tell me if it appears to be higher than the stock antenna?

Yakima or Thule either one is fine by me. Does anybody know who makes the factory version?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to YAKIMA.

Look up the landing pads and control towers. I haven't seen anyone do this, but I know it will work with little modification. This is all lockable and also a quick release setup. It will take second to get this on and off. This way it will still fit in your garage. You would use your factory tracks or this. you won't have to add any height this way by using the factory crossbars.

I think that Thule make the factory one too.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Than use the YAKIMA BOA mounts for your bike. This way you don't have bike trays to get in your way of the factory bars.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:28 PM

nope that wont work.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:
nope that wont work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, i just went out and looked. I took the landing pad and it fits into the factory track without modification. that is the only part that will stay mounted all the time.
The control tower mounts into that part and would have to be taken off for you to get into your garage if your stock antena would hit. In fact, any rack up there would have to be removed for that matter.
IT WILL WORK!
If you are looking into something that mounts and you never take it off, and your fctory antenna would hit the garage door, you will have to go with a hitch mount.

So, what are you saying won't work?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:33 PM

Right now I have 7” clearance to the Max Height Safety bar. I have measured several top racks and they do not add 7” in height. I’m hoping that the Factory Hummer mounts also fall into the category.

I would like to use the factory crossbows if possible (I’m already in the hole for $500)

The system you have suggested would require me to purchase another rack system to mount into the existing factory track.

Even with all this I would still need to purchase 2 of the Yakima Top bike mounts.

Question: do I also have to purchase Yakima crossbows or do they come with something you already listed?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:
Right now I have 7” clearance to the Max Height Safety bar. I have measured several top racks and they do not add 7” in height. I’m hoping that the Factory Hummer mounts also fall into the category.

I would like to use the factory crossbows if possible (I’m already in the hole for $500)

The system you have suggested would require me to purchase another rack system to mount into the existing factory track.

Even with all this I would still need to purchase 2 of the Yakima Top bike mounts.

Question: do I also have to purchase Yakima crossbows or do they come with something you already listed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, so you have 7" until you would hit and you want to use those factory bows. I was thinking you had very low clearance and that is why your antenna was hitting. That's why i suggested the other route. In doing so you would be buying a whole rack system and the round crossbars. If you just want to buy the bike rack mount, I would look towards Thule becasue that's who make the 'HUMMER" one. I really don't know about the clearance issue with that though. If you have 7" above your cross bars, I think you will be OK. I just went out an measure my old Yakima setup and it would add about 4 1/2" to the top of the crossbar. I'm sure the Thule is close to the same. I looked on Thule's site and the HUMMER one looks like it may be the Thule V2. The dealer may have some type of kit to make it work with the HUMMER Crossbars though.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

For what its worth, you might want to reconsider a hitch mount. Both Yakima and Thule have hitch mounts that swing away from the back of the truck so that you can open the rear door.

If you are still hot for the roof mount, just remember when you've got the bikes on top of the H3. Back when I was younger and biking racing ALOT, I saw more than 1 bike and rack assy. laying on the ground, mangled after someone forgot that they had bikes on top and drove into a garage. Oh, by the way, I know someone (NOT ME, thank god!) that did this.

Can you say "...Not Happy..."?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ipedog:
For what its worth, you might want to reconsider a hitch mount. Both Yakima and Thule have hitch mounts that swing away from the back of the truck so that you can open the rear door.

If you are still hot for the roof mount, just remember when you've got the bikes on top of the H3. Back when I was younger and biking racing ALOT, I saw more than 1 bike and rack assy. laying on the ground, mangled after someone forgot that they had bikes on top and drove into a garage. Oh, by the way, I know someone (NOT ME, thank god!) that did this.

Can you say "...Not Happy..."? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

been there. done that. It was without the bike on there. But damn did I FAWK some stuff up.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:33 AM

Thanks. Ill call Thule tomorrow and see what they have available.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Here's what I did, since I didn't want to have my bike on top (building a roof rack, plus I lost a Trek 930 to a carport years ago). I also didn't want to open the rear hatch, then open the bike rack just to get to stuff out of the back.

I took my old hitch bike rack and cut off the top part, the vertical bar + the bike mounting points. It was a fold down, fold away Smittybuilt. I then welded on a mounting strap that bolts to the spare tire mounting bolts.

I bolted down the newly made bike rack mounting strap using the keyed lug nut, so someone couldn't steal the bike rack (with the bike). Now I can carry two bikes hanging off the rear gate, I can still see, plus I have space up top for the roof rack.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Here's a close-up of the mounting plate. Sorry for the blurry pic, kinda dark outside.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what I have from Yakima:

Backswing 4

If you plan on leaving the rack on the truck I would look at this:

Fullswing 4

Here is the Thule Rack I would recommend.

Here is the one big question...

I don't know for sure if my rack will fit on my H3. Why? Well, I don't have it yet. Its still on a truck enroute from the factory...

I have read somewhere on the forum that they will fit, but please don't take my word for it. If mine doesn't fit I'm going to find a local welder to weld 2" (or whatever is required) onto the male portion of the rack where it fits into the hitch to make it long enough.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Here are some pictures of the Factory Hummer Bike rack that is the Frame Clamp Type. I tried to get a good angle on it to show it in comparison to the antenna. It is very easy to put on, the only trouble is mounting the bike. It is hard to get the bike up to the roof on your own without banging into the vehicle. As a Two person job it would not be hard but there are plenty of times when I have been out riding on my own and I do not like it then.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Pic #2
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Pic #3
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

Pic #4
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2005, 11:09 PM

HoKC thanks so much for taking those shots. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I didn’t plan on getting the frame mount rack but after seeing yours I may change my mind. It looks nicer than the fork lock version.

You mentioned that you were having problems getting your bike on the roof. Do you have the side steps? If not do you think having them would help.

I have a custom Merlin XLM Mountain bike. It weighs just a little over 19lbs. Lifting its not going to be an issue but since I’m only 5’9 that may pose more of a problem.

In this pic would you say the space between the green lines is less than 7 inches? That is my max tolerance for the garage.

Thanks

PS is was my radio antenna that was hitting the tolerance bar.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 PM

H3 Guy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by evldave:
Here's what I did, since I didn't want to have my bike on top (building a roof rack, plus I lost a Trek 930 to a carport years ago). I also didn't want to open the rear hatch, then open the bike rack just to get to stuff out of the back.

I took my old hitch bike rack and cut off the top part, the vertical bar + the bike mounting points. It was a fold down, fold away Smittybuilt. I then welded on a mounting strap that bolts to the spare tire mounting bolts.

I bolted down the newly made bike rack mounting strap using the keyed lug nut, so someone couldn't steal the bike rack (with the bike). Now I can carry two bikes hanging off the rear gate, I can still see, plus I have space up top for the roof rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any fears of the rear tailgate denting? That is only sheet metal holding the spare on with a stiffiner pad behind. A buddy tried to put a 35 on the rear and it started denting and buckling (barley but noticeable) after a few miles offroad. It doesn't seem to be the best place for additional cargo.