H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Water Splashing

Hey all,
Ok well with Isaac leaving us I am glad that nothing really was damaged.
Given working emergency response, I was out in the Hummer with the fire dept and the Nat Guard.
Because of this, I was blasting through a bunch of deeply flooded roads. The wake would come up and splash onto the windshield to the point I couldnt see.

As impressed as I was with the Hummer, It wasnt a fun thing to be on a narrow road that has ocean on both sides and I cant see where I am going because of the wake splash.

I am trying to see what I can do to get the water to not blind my windshield when going through water like that. Is there maybe a diverter? or something that wont bathe my windshield with so much water that the windshield wipers can move it fast enough.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water Splashing

man if your going through water that deep, if you slow down enough to not wake or you stop- You will hydrolock that engine. I would not be running any other aftermarket airboxes or intakes if you plan on doing this again. Also you have vent tubes going to various components axles, transfercase, etc...that could be full of water now. I'd definately take the time to service those points. New fluids are cheaper than new components. Only mentioning this because some people have no clue.

You need to be looking at how you are going to build a custom snokle to save your motor before you try to figure out how to keep water off your windshield.

1st thing that comes to my mind how to divert water would be a V setup on the hood. Two L channels 4-6" high. Make it out of some thick clear acrylic so it would be translucent. It wont be pretty, but function over form... it would push the water off to the sides.

If you have a video deck, you could put a cam on the roof...blind drive through that if you ever get back in that situation.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:43 AM

Mud,
I think you misunderstand
It was a once or twice thing because of the storm
The water was deep, but not so deep that the water came into the truck (the cockpit or interior). The thing is at a certain speed through the water even when it was only maybe 2 feet deep, the wake came up and actually rolled to the windshield. It wasnt a matter of the front end dipping down into the water as the wake making it come up and pour onto the windshield.
I know about hydrolocking and such, this is why i approached and stayed at a steady pace (even though the wake prevent me to see)

So what i am saying is would the after market flares work to keep water wake off my windshield?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Hummer Professional

H2Much is on a distinguished road

If you are rolling stock tires, then yes. If not, then water is going to splash up there no matter what unless you get someone to make you some custom bolt on flares. I have the E&G's, the widest ones, and they still do not keep my 40x15-1/2 Toyo MT's from flinging up a steady stream of water onto the sides and hood. At least I have a lift though to be able to handle deep waters
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

I just read the other day how much water the h2 can drive through. Think it was 27" in stock form.

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, all H2s throw lots of water on the windshield at speed in high water, as well as the H3 too. I think my H3 might have been worse in deep water. All vehicles with high approach angles do this. Been there done that. Even one excursion in deep water is enough to get water in those vent tubes. There's a post a few years back on modifying your vent tubes to extend them up higher. After helping in the Mississippi River flood of 2007 I changed all the fluids - diffs, transfer case, and tranny.
PS Did anyone else notice the white H3 with the red cross markings driving around Slidell on the WxChannel broadcasts? They've been around a while and I've seen one of them in the red cross yard here.

Last edited by HummerJim : 09-01-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Water on the windshield is just a "Hummerism." X2 on changing your fluids after deep water runs. H1s do it too but have factory extended vent tubes! In the case of the H1 they are designed to sink and not float and some of this carries over to the H2 and 3 and may be partially responsible for the way they throw water. Is this the H3 you saw? Hummers are still the best vehicle out there for many uses.
American Red Cross of Southeast Louisiana Hummer H3 photo
Attached Images

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Hummer Expert

If your not going that deep and the water is from the bumper throwing it up- any type of lip/shield/guard that would redirect the water (think like the top guard that angles down and forward on a snow plow to keep the snow from going over the top of the blade) is really going to add a hell of a lot of resistance driving through it. Try mounting some angle iron behind the bumper to the frame mounts and extending that straight out 6" past the face of the bumper. It would function up to that depth.

Don't take any offence, I'd hate to ever see a member trash something on their ride from not knowing about something. Even w our vent tubes, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect them for cracks from aging rubber and extend them.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 AM

Do you have an pictures or descriptions of where I can find the vent tubs you were talking about for the various parts mentioned
Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Hummer Expert

FYI, I thought it was here. I've searched. Searched all the "other" sites to. Its possible it was on the other hummer site that lost everything after ownership change. It was pretty detailed w/ pics.

try starting a new thread on extending vent tubes at either club hummer or hummer 4x4. Most of the vets are between the two.