H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

kchummer is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny slip??

Today after cruising for about an hour, I noticed at takeoff from a stop sign I had a bit of a hesitation or slip when on the throttle a bit....my 2004 h2 has only 29k miles....and I noticed it only a couple times over quite a period of time....now I do know that the tranny has NEVER been flushed/serviced, could gettin it flushed prevent this from happening again or do i have further problems.....any info is appreciated....thanks in advance...
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Tranny slip??

techs???
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I would do a complete service on the tranny before I spent a few grand for nothing. If you service and tranny still acts up then think about having tranny worked on. Also with a tranny being serviced it should allow a tech to see some components and tell a little about what may be wrong if deeper than service.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

el-cid is on a distinguished road

What was the outside temperature? I noticed that my H2 would seem to "slip" and act different than our Yukon when it's cold outside and had the dealership check it out. They said they inspected the fluid and it was at the proper level and was in good shape. Then I read the owners manual (novel concept, I know) and it does say that when it's cold outside the transmission will shift differently (I'd imagine it'll slip a bit and rev a bit more before shifting) to get the engine up to temperature quicker so the heater would blow warm quicker. Makes sense to me.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

service and do trans cooler bypass mod, wisest mod u could do, and it could be the ignition switch too
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

thanks for the responses guys....I've scheduled a tranny service, so we'll see if that'll help....i also noticed today when checking the fluid that it was a little overfull (maybe half quart?)...I've been told before if overfilled, it'll cause air bubbles which in turn also can cause slippage....is this true??
Old 04-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

not if it's only a half quart overfull . get up under it loosen the bolts holding the pan and let out as much as you need to to get the stick to read full . tighten the pan and drive it . if it still slips (and it will ) that ain't it .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

finbox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
not if it's only a half quart overfull . get up under it loosen the bolts holding the pan and let out as much as you need to to get the stick to read full . tighten the pan and drive it . if it still slips (and it will ) that ain't it .

Hell with that!!

Buy 8 ft of plastic hose and siphon it out of the dip stick tube takes all of 5 min and NO mess.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

you boys don't like getting dirty I guess. FYI I have seen people get a hose stuck in the dipstick tube B4 . if it were my truck I would drop the pan and see what is in the bottom of the pan and if the filter is dirty or cloged .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchummer
Today after cruising for about an hour, I noticed at takeoff from a stop sign I had a bit of a hesitation or slip when on the throttle a bit....my 2004 h2 has only 29k miles....and I noticed it only a couple times over quite a period of time....now I do know that the tranny has NEVER been flushed/serviced, could gettin it flushed prevent this from happening again or do i have further problems.....any info is appreciated....thanks in advance...
It could be slightly low on tranny fluid, but imo it's the torque converter and it's common for this to happen. Having never owned a GM vehicle before my H2's, I asked several different owners with the same power plant and they experience the same thing. Pulling away from a stop there's no power and after a second you feel a bump and it shifts into first and gets full power back. It's not a technical answer, but it's all I got.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yup Rox, that's exactly what it feels like it's doin every now and then....not necessarily a "slip" but more of a hesitation before engagement like you described....SO it is common and nothings wrong I assume>>>???? Everyone else's does this w/ the 6.0L motor huh??
Old 04-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchummer
Yup Rox, that's exactly what it feels like it's doin every now and then....not necessarily a "slip" but more of a hesitation before engagement like you described....SO it is common and nothings wrong I assume>>>???? Everyone else's does this w/ the 6.0L motor huh??
I don't know about "everyone else's" but I have a friend with an Avalanche and it does it. My 03 H2 did it, my 05 does it, and a friend with a Denali had this same trouble.

It doesn't do it all the time, but no one will ever fix it without a code, so you'd have to keep taking it in x1billion to get them to actually take it apart. I have had it get slightly low on tranny fluid and when you start it up first thing in the morning it will lurch forward a little while it's in park. It's done that two or three times now. No one can tell me where the fluid is going either. I just passed 80,000 miles on my H2 and haven't had it throw a tranny code yet. It's getting close to needing a rebuild though, and I think I'll have it beefed up when it's time. I hope this helps. It's not a technical answer, just another owners experience.