H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-05-2003, 12:58 PM

Michael James is off the scale

Just got my black H2 3 days ago.
Looking to replace the Bose speakers and head unit (frankly, very disappointed in sound quality of the LUX edition).

1) What are you doing with the existing headunit/stereo? Are you keeping it but dropping in behind the console? (need to know location it ended up in). or did you remove it completely? Some have indicated you must keep it in the car, but "hide it". What remains hooked up?

2) When you replace the stereo, what overall functions do you loose? (door chimes, onstar, etc..) be specific if you could.

3) What aftermarket interfaces are you using with the new headunit to allow steering wheel controls? For example, if you went with the Alpine, are you using Peripherals brands of PESWIX, PESWIV? (these are IR based read/send units) or what are you using??? (by the way, read the article from Blitzsafe, saying they are NOT going to release an interface due to issues regarding the airbags and OnStar). Overall, heard a lot of people saying they were getting it done, but no followup posts regarding whether it worked or not.

Steering Wheel Controls includewhich do you loose right away and what interface brings it back)

(left side)
a)On-star
b)Prog
c)Source Up/Down
d) Trip Info
e) Fuel Information

(right side)
f)Seek
g)Volume
h)Personilization
i) Select
Old 01-05-2003, 12:58 PM

Michael James is off the scale

Just got my black H2 3 days ago.
Looking to replace the Bose speakers and head unit (frankly, very disappointed in sound quality of the LUX edition).

1) What are you doing with the existing headunit/stereo? Are you keeping it but dropping in behind the console? (need to know location it ended up in). or did you remove it completely? Some have indicated you must keep it in the car, but "hide it". What remains hooked up?

2) When you replace the stereo, what overall functions do you loose? (door chimes, onstar, etc..) be specific if you could.

3) What aftermarket interfaces are you using with the new headunit to allow steering wheel controls? For example, if you went with the Alpine, are you using Peripherals brands of PESWIX, PESWIV? (these are IR based read/send units) or what are you using??? (by the way, read the article from Blitzsafe, saying they are NOT going to release an interface due to issues regarding the airbags and OnStar). Overall, heard a lot of people saying they were getting it done, but no followup posts regarding whether it worked or not.

Steering Wheel Controls includewhich do you loose right away and what interface brings it back)

(left side)
a)On-star
b)Prog
c)Source Up/Down
d) Trip Info
e) Fuel Information

(right side)
f)Seek
g)Volume
h)Personilization
i) Select
Old 01-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Boy, ignorance (on my part) is bliss. I'm happy with the sound system. I guess I just don't know what good sound is, huh.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:12 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

Good job, Phil. I'm in the same mind as you, and am trying to decide how to best fit it all in now. I have grown to love my 2 Kicker 12" L5's in a sealed box, and I'm looking for a place to glass them in -probably replace the wheelwell covers, if it'll work. Keep us updated and send pics!