H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I've always preferred cloth over leather seats, friends strongly advise to get leather. I'm outdoors a lot, getting in the car wet & muddy, dog jumping in, skis tossed across the back seat, etc. I find cloth easier on the conscience, equally comfortable, and don't care about luxury appeal. Heated option would be nice, resale value also nice. Though I still think I'm getting cloth, but was wondering what current H2 owners have and if anyone had this dilemma.

I saw a picture of Hummer seat covers which I though looked crappy, anyone use them?
Old 11-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I've always preferred cloth over leather seats, friends strongly advise to get leather. I'm outdoors a lot, getting in the car wet & muddy, dog jumping in, skis tossed across the back seat, etc. I find cloth easier on the conscience, equally comfortable, and don't care about luxury appeal. Heated option would be nice, resale value also nice. Though I still think I'm getting cloth, but was wondering what current H2 owners have and if anyone had this dilemma.

I saw a picture of Hummer seat covers which I though looked crappy, anyone use them?
Old 11-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Wouldn't cloth seats be even harder to clean and wipe? Bring back memory of a rental Ford Tauras I had as dealer loaner, it had coffee stain on the cloth seats, the image is stuck in my mind. At least you can wipe the leather seats clean. How do you remove coffee, tea or food stain from cloth seats? you know it is only a matter of time someone drops something on the seats. The Scotch stain resistant treatment made the cloth feel stiffer, at least they used to, I have not had cloth seats for 2 decades.

With cloth seats in NYC, at least you don't have to worry about anyone stealing your seats. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I have dark gray cloth on my Jeep now and can't notice stains. Never even a consideration. WHich is point since the H2 cloth seats are "wheat" and light in color.

But if the H2 seats are cloth AND noticably stained, then I won't even have to lock the doors. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2002, 07:13 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Okay...all this from a woman's point of view...

The cloth seats aren't what you think in the Hummer; they aren't like chenille or velvet in appearance. Like what's seen in the Ford Expedition.

The H2 cloth seats more like a woven type fabric. The edges are a synthetic material that resemble leather. They aren't leather, but most people think they are.

So far Very easy to clean. With a 3 year old and a husband who is a rat, I opted for the cloth bc of the type of cloth they were when we were ordering. Very easy to clean with a rag or carpet cleaner.

Also, being a potter I am prone to having jeans coated in clay or other oxides that stain leather but are pretty easy to get out of cloth with a nice vaccuum and damp rag.

I have had leather in every luxury car we've owned and yes they were easy to clean BUT...if you are an outdoors type I hate them. If you are fish like us and go to the beach or launching jet skiis and boats, nice wet, slick leather seats aren't fer ya.

I've seen the leather in the Hummer and I was not impressed. Sorry...it's not the same quality as Mercedes or BMW in most humble opinion. My mother's 2002 Nissan Maxima has more awesome leather work than the H2. I thought it resembled a baseball mitt with the stitching and all.

HTH,

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com
Old 11-24-2002, 07:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Thanks Amy, I needed a women's point of view, because the 2 that I have polled say unequivically to get leather. I've actually not seen the cloth on the H2 and should do that before ordering. If I like the synthetic fabric that will resolve it for me. Good to hear that it doesn't stain easy, even though I know I will manage.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:57 PM

DIANE is off the scale

I have leather and I really like them. My jeep also had cloth, and yes, with 2 young boys there are stains. I even used the carpet cleaner. We also go to the beach and I guess that if the leather becomes a problem, I will buy the H2 neoprene seat covers. As far as resale goes, leather heated seats will give you more that cloth. Seat covers can go a long way to protect both cloth and leather.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:08 PM

If it helps any...out of the Hummer Happening this past weekend...there were only a handfull of leather seats out of 12-15 owners. I am not sure on the exact numbers bc some of the H2s that were there were demos from the dealership, but everyone I talked to said that they were wanting the cloth seats on purpose and ordered them that way.

Let me go look at the fabric again in the garage to give you an idea of what it's like...yeah...woven like canvas and quilted in rows just like the leather seats.

you can also get this water repellant to spray on...it's amazing. I bought it at Lady Foot Locker for $4.99 to spray on my "off-road" running shoes. It is incredible. Water rolls of it like a duck's back. It also helps protect from smells too.

We also went off roading at our grandparents house and we were all pretty muddy dirty and grimey after carrying bails of hay to the cows. That farm smell is pretty easy to get out of the cloth seats with a spray here and there with fabreeze or the tiny carpet cleaner I have. My 3 year old's muddy feet just wiped right up with a towel.

When considering the resale factor with leather seats or cloth...nothing looks worse to me than the cracked and worn leather that is soiled from human-oil, sweat, or water stains.

The only problem with cloth is if the person smoked. Yick. We all know what that smells like in a used car. pee-u...

~amy

Old 11-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Leather or cloth, whatever. Except few occasional rare rentals, I have not been in cloth auto seats. I always MISTAKENLY thought people have cloth seats is because they cannot afford leather seats. Don‘t get mad at me, now I know I was wrong, some people actually have cloth seats by choice! don’t pile on me, no kicking or spitting please.

But in defense of the Hummer leather quality, personally I think they are superb. I read news that GM interior designer is not happy with leather quality, I looked up and down the chairs, I don't know what they are talking about. I have had 20+ years of MB, Rolls, Jaguar, BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln experience, cars known for their superb quality leather, frankly I cannot tell the difference. All my leather seats are/were always in top condition, without any special care.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Well excuse us simple folk, Mac, maybe you might want to change your site name to Snob. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] Actually I had always had cloth for economic considerations until I bought the Jeep and bought cloth consciously because, as Amy points out, I thought leather looked crappy after a few years. And I usually buy a car with the intention of having it for a while. But now I'm more concerned with overall comfort and how it holds up day to day, and I'm leaning more towards the cloth as I listen to people. Another thing I don't like about leather is getting in the car on a hot day after the car being in the sun and you're wearing shorts. Ouch, that's unfortable. Less a problem with cloth.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:40 PM

Believe me...these H2 leather seats ain't like the Benz or BMWs.

The BMW leather is like sitting on a bunch of soft furry baby rabbits and keep getting softer and softer as the years roll by.

Oh lord...looks like a trip to the BMW dealer next week to spy a "economy" convertible.

Damn I wish I had those 740iL seats again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

~amy

Old 11-24-2002, 11:10 PM

it's extremely hot here too in the summer...120 degree heat indices by 11 a.m. Another reason we went to cloth as well.

~amy

Old 11-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It also helps protect from smells too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uuuuuh....... Oh never mind.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:22 PM

KAC is off the scale

I've always resisted leather seats because I live in a very hot, humid area. And, I have large dogs - large slobbery dogs. I wanted the heated seats in the H2 though so I decided to try the leather. I can't tell you whether I like them over the long haul since I've only had the truck for a day and a half but, so far, I don't regret my choice. Ask again in two years!

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series
Old 11-25-2002, 02:49 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

I prefer cloth, but opted for leather because of the heated seats. I have them on my Tahoe and LOVE them! I don't really dislike the leather as much as I thought I would [it is easier to wipe clean] and as of yet my dog hasn't punched a hole in it with his claws(!)

The other consideration I had was resale value, as most people will want leather according to GM.

I plan to get neoprene covers for the H2 for offroading, etc. That will keep the seats in good condition. Of course, that would work for either cloth or leather.

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"
Old 11-25-2002, 06:04 PM

YEAH! KAC your rig has arrived!!!

~amy

Old 11-25-2002, 10:23 PM

m998 is off the scale

I just sold a Mountaineer (Explorer knock-off) with leather. After 3 plus years of desert heat carrying everything from wet dogs to bags of cement, the first guy to look at it bought it. Said it looked like new (it did). If you take reasonable care of the interior leather works and looks pretty darn good. OK, maybe the Hummer interior is not Connolly leather with Wilton carpets, but then again, that stuff the Germans call leather aint either!
Just thought I’d stir the pot a little....I wish I had my 3.0CSL back.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:30 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

I've got the leather, and my husband and two dogs and I go everywhere in that truck. We can just wipe the seats clean after the dog park, and after fishing, boating and swimming, just wipe them down. I wouldn't have anything but leather. The cloth seats in my husband's pickup are trashed from this kind of use, no matter how clean we try to keep them!

kelley
Old 11-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I really appreciate those last posts, particularly about dogs and other outdoor abuse. I'm concluding that both have pros and cons and I might just get leather for a change and give it a shot. It will appease the girlfriend which is nice bonus. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I also just want to say how great it is to see so many cool H2 owners and fans joining this forum. Congratulations Kim on your new rig!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I've had leather seats in the last three vehicles I've owned. Wouldn't have anything else.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas