H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

OK, I just did the first oil change in the H3 last night. I didn't mind removing the skid plates since it was very easy. The problem is that the location of the drain plug and filter is horrible. The drain pours partly on the cross-member. The oil filter has a nice little tray to catch the oil that drains from the filter, however, the plastic bolts that attach it to the frame aren't even close to being sealed. The oil drained down the tray, but also drained right through the cross-member. I still have oil dripping out of the cross-member. I don't mean to complain, but I think they could have done a little better job with the placement.

Does anyone have any tricks they have used for oil changes? I will probably try to clean the filter tray off and use some silicone for the next oil change. Also, has anyone used any of the quick change drain plug replacements? I wasn't sure of the quality.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

OK, I just did the first oil change in the H3 last night. I didn't mind removing the skid plates since it was very easy. The problem is that the location of the drain plug and filter is horrible. The drain pours partly on the cross-member. The oil filter has a nice little tray to catch the oil that drains from the filter, however, the plastic bolts that attach it to the frame aren't even close to being sealed. The oil drained down the tray, but also drained right through the cross-member. I still have oil dripping out of the cross-member. I don't mean to complain, but I think they could have done a little better job with the placement.

Does anyone have any tricks they have used for oil changes? I will probably try to clean the filter tray off and use some silicone for the next oil change. Also, has anyone used any of the quick change drain plug replacements? I wasn't sure of the quality.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Malibu1 is off the scale

I have used a 2 liter bottle cut in half on some other vehicles to remove the oil filter after it has been initially loosened. this catchs any oil that might flow out of the top of the filter. no mess

good luck
Old 11-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as the quick change drain plugs go, I wouldn't put one on, 'cause all it takes is a quick turn, and all your oil is gone down the road, and a nice smokey engine soon to follow! IMO

It'll help if you slide a piece of cardbordover the crossmember to catch any spillage, and you can direct it into your oil catchpan.

Good luck!

Ric-H2
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't have that problem when changing my oil. Possibly being on an incline had something to do with it; not sure.
Malibu 1 reminded me of a way I had to change oil on my GP (I think it was the GP). Get an orange juice container, or any other type of plastic container where the pour spout is off to the side. Cut the top down to about 2 inches (or less, you might have to trim). Insert the large open part under the drain plug, and allow the oil to flow into the container, and out the side pour spout, into a container.
Just an idea, I have not tried it on the H3, but it sure worked good on; I think, my GP.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Thanks for the responses. I will have to try these ideas.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Beartooth is off the scale

For the filter, I use a large Ziploc freezer bag (1-2 gallon). Just loosen the filter to a point where you can turn with your hand without leaking and then let the filter and excess oil just drop in the freezer Ziploc bag.

Hunter in the Fall; Sledder in the Snow.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I like that ziplock idea. That way oil doesent contaminate your garbage can.You can probobly get those bags for cheap at the dollar store.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I've been using Ziplock bags for years because I like to change my oil in the garage and I hate to get oil on my epoxy painted floor of my pit. I am "car crazy" as they say on the Speed Channel and had a concrete 41 inch X 5ft X 5 ft ( I have to hunch over except under the H3) pit dug in the garage with metal screens when not in use. Six years ago it ran about $1,800 (without the screens) to do and makes working under the car so much easier. When I want to escape the wife, I take my Budweiser down there and disappear. If I did it again though, I would put in a sand trap drain in the bottom they tried to talk me into. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you have kids and our golden retreiver thinks it's his second home!
I also put down a large aluminium Walmart drip pan and use medical gloves. Ziplock works great with the H3. Years ago there was a lot in the press about washing your parts in that old leaded gas and getting lead and nickel in your system from contaiminated engine oil - even though leaded gas is gone I like the clean feeling afterwards of using gloves.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to say, that this one is easy to sell to your wife if you live in the tornado belt, because you can tell her how safe you would be down in the garage pit during a tornado. We've used it for just that purpose twice!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Those pits are against town codes here on long island unless they were put in before codes took effect I would love to have a pit, my house was built before codes so if I put one in myself no one would be the wiser.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mike B is off the scale

Buy an oil extractor and a filter relocation kit (when they come out). I know that the H2 and H1 have filter relocation kits out now and H3 should follow. That way you don't need to get under the vehicle.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure if you go to a filter relocation kit that mounts the oil filter in any angle other than open end up, to get a filter with a check valve. If you mount it so that it mounts down, oil drains out of the oil filter, and it takes a few seconds to fill it up again, and get a steady flow of oil into the engine.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Just make sure if you go to a filter relocation kit that mounts the oil filter in any angle other than open end up, to get a filter with a check valve. If you mount it so that it mounts down, oil drains out of the oil filter, and it takes a few seconds to fill it up again, and get a steady flow of oil into the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Make sure you don't run your relocation lines close to any heat sources. Had a buddy of have a spewer because his line rubbed up against exhaust manifold and burnt a hole in it!

Ric-H2