H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-26-2005, 11:10 PM

shipbldr is off the scale

The "Inner Tim Allen" in me has surfaced again. This time during an air horn installation.

The roots of this one lay in the end-of-trail event all H2 owners know: The 20-40 minute tire refill.

After blowing about 45 minutes airing up... I began the search for a better way. I found that most 12vDC air pumps only put out around 10L max.

Knowing there had to be a better way, I tapped into my friends in south china an found it. I found a shop in south china that makes a 150L per minute air pump. It runs on 12vDC and draws about 60 amps.

So of course... I ordered one.

Then I thought about it and decided that it would go even faster if I have an air tank.

Having just installed the Gobi rack... I had lots of space up top.

Knowing I was thinking of installing an air horn, I called and asked what size air tank was suggested. The horn vendor sugegsted a .5 gallon tank.

So I bought a 5 gallon tank. I figured a 900% reserve couldn't be a bad thing.

I also bought a Viair 145 psi pressure switch.

And a set of horns....

I spent the better part of tonight fabricating a mount to put the horns in a semi-protected place on the Gobi rack.

The black spray paint is drying on the new mounts right now.

I'm going to run 3/8 hose from the tank to the horn. I hope it can breath through that...

Report on the expected carnage tomorrow after parts are dry and installed....
Attached Images

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 09-26-2005, 11:10 PM

The "Inner Tim Allen" in me has surfaced again. This time during an air horn installation.

The roots of this one lay in the end-of-trail event all H2 owners know: The 20-40 minute tire refill.

After blowing about 45 minutes airing up... I began the search for a better way. I found that most 12vDC air pumps only put out around 10L max.

Knowing there had to be a better way, I tapped into my friends in south china an found it. I found a shop in south china that makes a 150L per minute air pump. It runs on 12vDC and draws about 60 amps.

So of course... I ordered one.

Then I thought about it and decided that it would go even faster if I have an air tank.

Having just installed the Gobi rack... I had lots of space up top.

Knowing I was thinking of installing an air horn, I called and asked what size air tank was suggested. The horn vendor sugegsted a .5 gallon tank.

So I bought a 5 gallon tank. I figured a 900% reserve couldn't be a bad thing.

I also bought a Viair 145 psi pressure switch.

And a set of horns....

I spent the better part of tonight fabricating a mount to put the horns in a semi-protected place on the Gobi rack.

The black spray paint is drying on the new mounts right now.

I'm going to run 3/8 hose from the tank to the horn. I hope it can breath through that...

Report on the expected carnage tomorrow after parts are dry and installed....

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Charles, remember Dan's set up?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool Charles, what kind of horn did you get?

A bigger tank is the way to go. Mine fills to 150psi and will start refilling at 120psi. A 3 second blast will get the compressor running so it really emptys out the tank fast. Having the tank close to the horn is good too. I think I lose a little flow through the 20' of line I'm using.

One of these days I have to pull the horns and retune them once and for all. They're good but I know they are not up to the 150db.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:
Cool Charles, what kind of horn did you get?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found the manufacturer of this horn setup in China. The horn was rated for 100 PSI.

I talked to them real nice, agreed to buy 3 cubic meters of them if they would:

Make mine in 100% chrome
Upgrade the valving to handle 150 PSI
Guarantee 152DB+ (yeah, like I can actually check this number....)
And ship me a sample now!

The did all three... which is why my horn has black paint on the valve bodies.

I will have just a couple feet from the tank to the horn... and its 3/8 hose. It should hurt pretty good when it goes off. To get some extra slam I might replace the existing solenoid valve with a 1/2" valve I have here...

We'll see...

When I go home today I'll mount it up and see how it all looks...

In short: Horn- Chinese mystery Brand X "Ningbo Special"

Tank - Hoosier Tanks

Pump - "The Monster 150L/min" Southeastern Shanghai Custom Pump Works... some guy named Tony (No joke)

This thing better go boom...

Old 09-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good! Can't wait to hear them. I'm sure having them up on the rack will do a good job of projecting the blast.

I have the LiteGlow train horns, Firestone tank (I had to cut the mounts off of it), ViAir compressor & pressure switch, and 20' of stainless braided refrigerator water line for the air.

Make sure ya post some pix!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:46 PM

Progress pictures...

Here is the horn. I made a mount from two metal straps and then bolted it to the Gobi rack. (Yet another way the Gobi rack makes life easier...)

As you can see... the hose routes over the sunroof. So later I will make another trip to the hardware store to buy a 90deg elbow and a close nipple to allow me to shoot the hose straight backawards and not over the sunroof.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 PM

Here is the air tank. I attached it to the mesh in the floor of the Gobi rack. I made two backing plates then threaded bolts through the feet of the tank, the mesh, and finally the backing plates.

The tank mount is very solid. Teh size should allow me to run air tools and also let people know when I am really upset in traffic.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2005, 07:50 PM

Side profile of the horn and tank on the rack.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM

My vision of how an H2 should look...

(ummm... just with more mud. A lot more mud.)
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 PM

Next installment is testing.

Let's hope it doesn't explode.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Test #1 Complete

What in the hell have I done?

I aired up the tank to 70PSI then ran a pair of wires I could attach to the battery.

Very carefully I tapped the hot lead to the solenoid air switch. A glancing blow at best...

Damn loud.

So I of course had to try a longer blast... Truely and massively penetrating. It hurts.

And this is at 70psi!

I think that I may need to get rid the the 145psi pressure switch and air back to 50-60 psi..

NOT!!!

This is truely the most obnoxious thing I have ever owned in my life. Perhaps even more outrageous than my Hummer itself.

I have fallen in love with my truck all over again.

Hong gives it her highest rating: "horrible"

Thank you Dan for the inspiration. Of course you have some explaining to do with Hong now... but at least know I am a very happy guy.

Your suggestion of the air tank at the Paragon event set this all in motion.

Happy, Happy, Happy!!!!

Next week we go 145psi. After the switch gets wired to the cabin...

Charles

Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

If you fill the tank to 145lb -- with the all black paint and location on the roof -- is there any danger of heat from the sun raising the pressure in the tank above the 150lb limit?

How much does your pump cost? I don't care for a louder horn, but hated the 40min tire refills also...
Old 09-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

If you blow that thing while stopped at a light make sure you have your brakes on... Otherwise the blast from the horn might push your truck backwards!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2Finally:
If you fill the tank to 145lb -- with the all black paint and location on the roof -- is there any danger of heat from the sun raising the pressure in the tank above the 150lb limit?

How much does your pump cost? I don't care for a louder horn, but hated the 40min tire refills also... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>He should have a 150psi blow off valve that will release pressure if it gets above 150 but maintain the desire pressure.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:22 PM

Paragon called it...

I'm installing a 150psi blow off valve with the pump.

Now I just have to find one...

The comment on the black paint was right on target.... I was worried about the sunny days too...

Any suggestion about where to find the blow-off valve will be welcome.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How much does your pump cost? I don't care for a louder horn, but hated the 40min tire refills also... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll keep you posted on the pump (You will get one cheap, very cheap...

It cost me about $10,000 for the pump design and first production run. I have a few cubic meters of them coming in about 2 months. First 2 prototype units will be here in 7-10 days.

I'll make sure you get one for "dirt" cheap if you want one. Just remind me once they get here... I'll hook you up. It's a real commercial pump. Wait until you see how I am installing it in my H2... its very, very trick!!

Old 09-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
Paragon called it...

I'm installing a 150psi blow off valve with the pump.

Now I just have to find one...

The comment on the black paint was right on target.... I was worried about the sunny days too...

Any suggestion about where to find the blow-off valve will be welcome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.4by4connection.com/blowoffvalve.html
Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 PM

Thank you Paragon!!!!