Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

xburbman is off the scale

My girl and I are going to Italy (flying into Milan and leaving from Rome) for our honeymoon. The dates are from 06/12/06 - 06/27/06. I haven't even been to Europe before so I'm looking for any helpful advice. Everything between arrival and departure is open...I'm thinking Milan/Venice/Florence/Amalfi Coast/Rome by rail/taxi. We probably want to stay in some smaller towns outside of the tourist trap places like Milan/Venice since their all connected by rail...right? Any advice and or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

My girl and I are going to Italy (flying into Milan and leaving from Rome) for our honeymoon. The dates are from 06/12/06 - 06/27/06. I haven't even been to Europe before so I'm looking for any helpful advice. Everything between arrival and departure is open...I'm thinking Milan/Venice/Florence/Amalfi Coast/Rome by rail/taxi. We probably want to stay in some smaller towns outside of the tourist trap places like Milan/Venice since their all connected by rail...right? Any advice and or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can stay on the north coast do! Genoa, Sestri Levante/Riva Trigosa....gorgeous small towns.
Linky
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Just keep telling her: "Voglio coprire il suo corpo nei baci dolci" and you'll have a great time no matter where you go.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

A great activity (and cheap)that I did was to rate the gelato in each town/city that we visited. The best in my mind those many years ago was next to the Duomo in Florence/Firenze. Have fun. It is definitely the best place in Europe. Watch out for the Gypsy kids, they'll distract you and then take your wallet before you know it.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 01-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Get married first.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HIHUMMER:
Just keep telling her: "Voglio coprire il suo corpo nei baci dolci" and you'll have a great time no matter where you go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah what HIHUMMER SAYZ....cept substitute tongue bath for kiss's

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm telling you..it works for me. My love speaks to me in French and yoohoo! I get all hot and bothered!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HIHUMMER:
I'm telling you..it works for me. My love speaks to me in French and yoohoo! I get all hot and bothered! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But I don't even know French sweetie!
Ric(-)H2
Old 01-10-2006, 12:26 AM

Bondage is off the scale

You HAVE to visit Pompeii - and plan to spend an entire day there - it is mind boggling....

Sean

Oh - and watch your wallet in ANY public place in Italy. They have the world's most talented pickpockets! No kidding!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

First of all: Congrats.

Next: Always eat in the places where the locals do -- -- never at a multi-national chain hotel or someplace that is touristy. Italian food is the best on the continent and IMHO so is Italian wine. That includes French food [which can be quite good] and food anywhere in the UK [which sucks everywhere in the UK -- -- sorry, but everyone knows it's true]. Don't know what your budget is like, but one first-class gourmet Italian meal along the way will be long remembered. If you buy a red Michelin guide, it will give you all the restaurant info.

A green Michelin guide for each of the cities you visit will give you all the info on what to see and how to see it. They are really terrific and make the trip much more interesting. I lived in Europe for 4 years and used them extensively.

As far as which cities -- -- they're all great, but don't miss Florence.

If you could only go to one European country in your lifetime, Italy would be the one. I've been to them all, I'm not Italian, and it gets my vote.

Bon voyage,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bondage:

Oh - and watch your wallet in ANY public place in Italy. They have the world's most talented pickpockets! No kidding!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very true!!!
Watch out for the children, and the Gypsies!
The gypsies are pretty scary, and the children look pretty innocent. So either way, just be careful.
I found that the smallest hole in the wall places have the best food!
Found a tiny place in Rome (Not even a name on the outside, and no where to sit) they had the best food from morning to night. Literally a hole in the wall, but the nicest people and food made fresh to the minute! Hope all goes as planned, and enjoy to the upmost!

Congrats!!!

Ric(-)H2
Old 01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks HummBebe! That's exactly one of the things I was hoping for...references to small towns where locals live and are not packed with tourists.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummBebe:
If you can stay on the north coast do! Genoa, Sestri Levante/Riva Trigosa....gorgeous small towns.
Linky </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well, I don't know what it means yet, but it sounds like fun for her and I both! I will look it up and 'lay it on her' so to speak and watch closely at her response. Thanks Hi!

I'm telling you..it works for me. My love speaks to me in French and yoohoo! I get all hot and bothered! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Excellent! Thanks a bunch George! You've helped to confirm what I've heard about Italy thusfar. I will get the Michelin guides as a reference to look up each of the cities and restaurants in them before we go...and use it while we're there. I hear that the wines don't have sulfites, which keeps you from having a hangover...although I think that if you drink enough, you're gonna have one anyway. Hmmmm...maybe 12 oz. of water for every 48 oz. of wine? Chao!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
First of all: Congrats.

Next: Always eat in the places where the locals do -- -- never at a multi-national chain hotel or someplace that is touristy. Italian food is the best on the continent and IMHO so is Italian wine. That includes French food [which can be quite good] and food anywhere in the UK [which sucks everywhere in the UK -- -- sorry, but everyone knows it's true]. Don't know what your budget is like, but one first-class gourmet Italian meal along the way will be long remembered. If you buy a red Michelin guide, it will give you all the restaurant info.

A green Michelin guide for each of the cities you visit will give you all the info on what to see and how to see it. They are really terrific and make the trip much more interesting. I lived in Europe for 4 years and used them extensively.

As far as which cities -- -- they're all great, but don't miss Florence.

If you could only go to one European country in your lifetime, Italy would be the one. I've been to them all, I'm not Italian, and it gets my vote.

Bon voyage,

George SSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM

TROUBLE is off the scale

Hot and bothered? wow. I wish my love would say the same thing to me!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Hummer Professional

jfox is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xburbman:
...Chao!... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The correct spelling is CIAO, maybe you should also pick up a phrase book.

I suggest visiting Siena, to bad you will miss the Palio. If you really want of the beaten path you can travel to Murlo which is about 24km from Siena. Make reservations at Ristorante Pizzeria Bar dell'Arco, Via delle Carceri - Murlo, Murlo, tel. 0577-811092 be sure to ask for a balcony seat. Best pizza on the planet.

If you are up for a museum you can also visit the Etruscan museum. Awesome finds from an archaeological site in the outlying hills. Spent a better part of my college career digging out pottery and such from that site...

J.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks jfox. Yep, my fiancee & I were discussing that very subject. She speaks fluent Spanish (in fact teaches it at a local community college) and hoped that there would be some cross-over in the 2 languages....Nope! She exchanged lessons with an Italian friend of hers and became quickly aware of the distinct differences. We're going to need to be careful with what we ask for! I am really looking forward to the archaeological/historical findings we'll certainly run across...will look up the info. you've provided when I get a chance & hopefully be able to give it a visit while we're there. Chow!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jfox:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xburbman:
...Chao!... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The correct spelling is CIAO, maybe you should also pick up a phrase book.

I suggest visiting Siena, to bad you will miss the Palio. If you really want of the beaten path you can travel to Murlo which is about 24km from Siena. Make reservations at Ristorante Pizzeria Bar dell'Arco, Via delle Carceri - Murlo, Murlo, tel. 0577-811092 be sure to ask for a balcony seat. Best pizza on the planet.

If you are up for a museum you can also visit the Etruscan museum. Awesome finds from an archaeological site in the outlying hills. Spent a better part of my college career digging out pottery and such from that site...

J. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking of museums, when we were in Venice, a guy kept gesturing for us to follow him. He looked harmless, we were curious, and so we did.

He opened this unassuming door, and we ended up in some artist's private showroom...sss -- room after room after room full of giant gorgeous exquisite marble and glass statues and creations! It was better than many of the museums we visited thorughout Europe, since it was packed so full, and you can actually touch it!!!

To be polite, from time to time, we lifted the price tags, mumbled, and nodded to ourselves...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:06 PM

Kid Shyleen is off the scale

"je ve te mange maintenant!"