H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Unless someone on here tells me differently, the last time I checked with GM parts, I could not get a chrome mirror cap unless I bought the entire mirror.

Paragon and I decided to trade mirrors and the rear license plate assembly. He wanted black, I wanted chrome.

I took off my mirror assemblies, completely off both doors. Then I popped off the mirrors themselves. As soon as I did this, it was apparent that the caps are only connected to the mirror assembly with a few snap on type plastic snaps.

I put my mirror assemblies back on my H2 and sent Paragon the caps only. I alerted him and he simply popped off his mirrors from the mirror assembly, unsnapped his chrome covers and put on my black ones. A 15-20 minute job tops. Plus we both saved a lot of shipping costs by not sending heavy mirror assemblies though the mail.

Why GM does not sell caps only? (last time I checked) Is a scam to get owners to buy new mirrors if they want different caps?.

Let me know if this is still GM parts policy.
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Unless someone on here tells me differently, the last time I checked with GM parts, I could not get a chrome mirror cap unless I bought the entire mirror.

Paragon and I decided to trade mirrors and the rear license plate assembly. He wanted black, I wanted chrome.

I took off my mirror assemblies, completely off both doors. Then I popped off the mirrors themselves. As soon as I did this, it was apparent that the caps are only connected to the mirror assembly with a few snap on type plastic snaps.

I put my mirror assemblies back on my H2 and sent Paragon the caps only. I alerted him and he simply popped off his mirrors from the mirror assembly, unsnapped his chrome covers and put on my black ones. A 15-20 minute job tops. Plus we both saved a lot of shipping costs by not sending heavy mirror assemblies though the mail.

Why GM does not sell caps only? (last time I checked) Is a scam to get owners to buy new mirrors if they want different caps?.

Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Old 09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Just saw this today..

After market chrome mirror caps. H2 Chrome Mirror Overlays
Old 09-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Thanks for the link.

$233 plus shipping is a lot of money when folks on here want to trade chrome for black.

My point is that only the caps have to be traded, not the whole mirror. Since GM only sells the unit as a whole and not caps, it leads some to believe that the caps are not easily removed.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

H2M&W and I traded mirror caps and the costs was about 15 minutes of my time and the shipping. Find someone wanting to trade for the opposite and switching out the caps are a cinch as H2M&W found out for us.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:42 AM

MisterEd is off the scale

Thanks for letting us know... Any tips on the best way to "pop" them off?

I got chrome in the Atlanta area that I will swap for black........
Old 09-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

First you need to pop off the mirror glass itself. To do this-using your mirror switch inside the truck, bring your mirror in towards the truck as far as possible.

The distance between the outside edge of your mirror and the mirror housing should be at its maximum.

Place a soft rag on the housing and then place a 1" wide (plus or minus) flat bar inside between the mirror glass and the housing. GENTLY pry at that point--if needed, move around the mirror glass a bit, little by little. The mirror will pop off--make sure someone is there to catch it, if necessary.

Move your mirror housing back with the glass removed and you can see it. There are about 5 or 6 little plastic clips that hold the cap to the mirror housing. Release them and the cap will come off.

If you break the actual mirror when removing it you are looking at around $60.00 to replace it. I know because on my second mirror, I pryed from the inside of the mirror where the the mirror was indented into the mirror housing.

The first mirror came off so easily, I lost my head and figured I could pry from any edge of the mirror. I laughed when it broke and then kicked myself in the ass for rushing.

I passed the info off to PARAGON while we shipped. His were a cinch because he pryed from the outside on both.

It was the easiest and cheapest (shipping is nil on the caps) trade I have done and we both ended up with what we wanted.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:50 AM

MisterEd is off the scale

Great directions......... Thanks for making it easy for all of us!!

Ed
Old 11-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you break the actual mirror when removing it you are looking at around $60.00 to replace it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2mildandwild,
do you have the part number for the passenger side mirror, i too broke mine while swapping caps, the convex nature on the passenger mirror is more likely to break. but really was easy to replace caps this way.
thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HummerLV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you break the actual mirror when removing it you are looking at around $60.00 to replace it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2mildandwild,
do you have the part number for the passenger side mirror, i too broke mine while swapping caps, the convex nature on the passenger mirror is more likely to break. but really was easy to replace caps this way.
thanks in advance <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the same thing on Friday. I thought I used the same technique as I did on the DR SD, but i guess not.
88979812 PS glass list $79.98, I PD $65.61.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:34 AM
Hummer Professional

thanks timgco
$40 + shipping from gm parts direct
Old 11-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me tell you all,that the d/s and passinger
side must come off diffrent.One breakes and one
don't.Every mirror I've had apart broken p/s
perfect d/s.Good Fing luck. I have a few
battle wounds to prove it!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Hummer Guru

[Q UOTE]Orig inally posted by partsguy:
I have a few
battle wounds to prove it![/quote]
Old 11-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

calm down.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:55 AM

stealth H2 is off the scale

Fellas,
if you use a small flat heat screw driver and a putty knife on the under side
where the cap attaches to the outside of the mirror, it pops out with a gentle twist, make sure they are warm, not cold an brittle. Hot is best. I wouldn't
even mess with the glass. Trade is a great idea. If you can't find a trade, I found
a guy in Wisconsin at Saved Auto Parts that sold the black caps to me for 100.
Best of luck!
Anyone know how to get the chrome plate off the back above the liscence plate?
Or what I'll find under there?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, th mirrors are sold only as assemblies through GM, the caps are not serviced by themselves. While this may seem like a scam to you, the consumer, this is how GM looks at it. You buy your vehile with a certain trim level package, that package includes certain items that you wouldn't find on another trim level. It is a model designation, you pay extra for it. If they made it easy to swap only parts of a trim level, the identity would be lost. Now you have to remember these are corporate people thinking marketing. However, if there was ever a warranty issue with these caps, you can bet your ass they would make the offending part available seperately because then THEY would have to pay for it. I see time and time again.

Dave
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 04-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Hummer Guru

[quote]Originally posted by stealth H2:
Fellas,

I found a guy in Wisconsin at Saved Auto Parts that sold the black caps to me for 100.
Best of luck!

You paid $100 for the caps?
Why didn't you just post here to trade like everyone else does?
Be careful with your method of changing out the mirror caps. Plastic clips are placed on the insde and have to be pushed in to secure them properly. If you don't push those clips out before you remove the cap, they will break for sure. Hope they stay on for a $100.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stealth H2:
Anyone know how to get the chrome plate off the back above the liscence plate?
Or what I'll find under there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that chrome piece is easy, just carefully pull off the rear interior door panel and you will find it is attached with a few bolts and the handle cable.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

The putty knife idea works like a champ? I think I am going to use that method. I am not too stoked on twisting off the glass.