H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 PM

guyzilla is off the scale

I'm fixing to get it and despite having to sign up for 3 years safe and sound package and switching over to the verizon family plan it sounds like a pretty good service?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 PM

I'm fixing to get it and despite having to sign up for 3 years safe and sound package and switching over to the verizon family plan it sounds like a pretty good service?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM

mr.jeepster is off the scale

I don't know about the whole "package" deal, but I do know this - out in the middle of the Mojave desert, where there is NO cell phone reception, the sat phone in the H2 works perfectly. For that reason alone, we signed up for the safe and sound plan (1 year) and bought 60 minutes of cell phone time. Pretty cheap insurance, really!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

I have a 2005 so i have the verizon service. I am currently having issues with my onstar not connecting but my personal calling minutes work like a champ. I do a fair amount of traveling and i have yet to find a place where my trucks phone does not work, even though many where my cell phone doesnt work. I use my personal calling minutes frequently and i highly recommend it.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM

I too have the safe and sound package and 100 minutes but problem is the minutes do not roll over and they are about $.40/minute. With the verizon package you can use the minutes thru verizon which equals about $.10/minute.
As far as the phone goes you are right, i get outstanding reception with my car phone. Only issue i have is the voice command frequently messes up (no way to dial with window down as well).
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

I have the verizon/onstar plan. It works great and it is a whole lot cheaper than using those pre-paid minutes from onstar.

I was lucky enough to already have my wireless plan through verizon. Basically all that happens is the onstar phone is added as an additional line onto your existing plan (I think the current cost is 9 or 10 bucks more a month). Nearly all of your current verizon plan features attach to the new line (of course there is no txt messaging and I think call waiting doesn't work) Then you get a new phone number from verizon and thereafter the in-car phone works like it always has, but your plan time shows up as part of your verizon minutes.

For me it has been great. Before, I rarely used the onstar phone. Now whenever I'm in the Hummer, it is the primary cell phone I use.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by desertfox:
but I do know this - out in the middle of the Mojave desert, where there is NO cell phone reception, the sat phone in the H2 works perfectly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OnStar just uses Verizon cell service, no sat phone ability. The only satellite ability of OnStar is GPS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on the money Phil. The differance in reception as I understand it, is that a vehicle mounted phone is alowed a much higher power output(3 watts compared to 1 I think) and has a much larger antenna than what you can get in a hand held unit.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CLAYDOG:
Right on the money Phil. The differance in reception as I understand it, is that a vehicle mounted phone is alowed a much higher power output(3 watts compared to 1 I think) and has a much larger antenna than what you can get in a hand held unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on the money other than the hand held units are 0.5 watt so you are getting six times the power out of the OnStar unit.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 09-07-2005, 02:56 PM

Ahhhhhh..so that's it! LOL And here I thought I had a cool sat phone. Okay, so if that's the only difference, I'll take it! It works like a champ!

I'm locked into my current cell phone service - but when it's up, it'll be Verizon for me. One stupid question.....when the H2 phone is just part of your Verizon service, do BOTH phones ring when you get a call - the one built in and the one on your belt?? Or does the second phone have a seperate number? I know, I know, I am technically challenged. I spend more time in the saddle than even in my beloved Hummer!
Old 09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dick Renaud is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by desertfox:
Ahhhhhh..so that's it! LOL And here I thought I had a cool sat phone. Okay, so if that's the only difference, I'll take it! It works like a champ!

I'm locked into my current cell phone service - but when it's up, it'll be Verizon for me. One stupid question.....when the H2 phone is just
part of your Verizon service, do BOTH phones ring when you get a call - the one built in and the one on your belt?? Or does the second phone have a seperate number? I know, I know, I am technically challenged. I spend more time in the saddle than even in my beloved Hummer!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The onstar has its own number. You can forward the Verizon calls to the onstar phone. Two choices-Forward immeadiately or after four rings. You turn the forwarding on by dialing a code. I am putting it in my new H2 and my new Motorhome so I can forward it to which ever unit I am in. My wifes phone also can be forwardes to either. It actually works like regular call forwarding.You could use Verizon call forwarding without the onstar program to forward calls to you onstar phone but then you could not use the verizon minutes.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm locked into my current cell phone service - but when it's up, it'll be Verizon for me. One stupid question.....when the H2 phone is just part of your Verizon service, do BOTH phones ring when you get a call - the one built in and the one on your belt?? Or does the second phone have a seperate number? I know, I know, I am technically challenged. I spend more time in the saddle than even in my beloved Hummer!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you knew everything. That's a pretty basic common sense thing.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:

I'm locked into my current cell phone service - but when it's up, it'll be Verizon for me. One stupid question.....when the H2 phone is just
part of your Verizon service, do BOTH phones ring when you get a call - the one built in and the one on your belt?? Or does the second phone have a seperate number? I know, I know, I am technically challenged. I spend more time in the saddle than even in my beloved Hummer!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The onstar has its own number. You can forward the Verizon calls to the onstar phone. Two choices-Forward immeadiately or after four rings. You turn the forwarding on by dialing a code. I am putting it in my new H2 and my new Motorhome so I can forward it to which ever unit I am in. My wifes phone also can be forwardes to either. It actually works like regular call forwarding.You could use Verizon call forwarding without the onstar program to forward calls to you onstar phone but then you could not use the verizon minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. Can the "On Star" phone be the one and ONLY Verizon phone...or does it have to be a second line?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The onstar has its own number. You can forward the Verizon calls to the onstar phone. Two choices-Forward immeadiately or after four rings. You turn the forwarding on by dialing a code. I am putting it in my new H2 and my new Motorhome so I can forward it to which ever unit I am in. My wifes phone also can be forwardes to either. It actually works like regular call forwarding.You could use Verizon call forwarding without the onstar program to forward calls to you onstar phone but then you could not use the verizon minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. Can the "On Star" phone be the one and ONLY Verizon phone...or does it have to be a second line? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The line in your H2 is separate and maintained by OnStar but carried by Verizon.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dick Renaud is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. Can the "On Star" phone be the one and ONLY Verizon phone...or does it have to be a second line? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The line in your H2 is separate and maintained by OnStar but carried by Verizon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DRTY is right on. The onstare line is simply added to your Verizon account and your Verizon minutes are used instead of the expensive Onstar minutes. If you call forward your Verizon phone to the onstar phone with the immeadiate call forward it will work as if it is the only phone. But keep your cell handy, the computer burps once sometimes and you have to reset the call forward.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Orbital H2 is off the scale

Here is the link to the site.
www.verizonwireless.com/onstar
Other than the fact I like my other cell coverage, it would be a good reason to switch.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I was recently faced with a Bummer of a situation. And Scarey.
I was on a trip through central Idaho, on my way to visit family, and my Son fell on some rocks, (in a gravel spot) and split his forehead open. No biggie, except he hit a vein, and the amount of blood pouring out of his head was astonishing. I have a pretty good first aid kit, but I was worried that something more serious would happen. I was able to get the bleeding stopped, but I had no where to go to get him s***ched up. NO PHONE service for 60 miles back the way we came, and no service for 100 miles the other way. (Hummers truly are not fast cars.) On Star would not work. When I finally did get phone service we were still 100 miles from town, and the clinic.
I am always on remote roads,(this time I was on a paved highway) and I was considering a satellite phone just in case of another, more serious emergency, and I'm nowhere near pavement.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to Verizon too, just for the convenience of having it on the same bill.

Edit: Why did it block S***ched up? What's going on here?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
Edit: Why did it block S***ched up? What's going on here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just asked the same thing in a thread on the H3 side. I saw it did it to somebody else and it did it to me earlier. Not sure what is going on.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

because of all the whining, mostly from the H3 owners, it appears Jason has enacted the censor feature on the message board software. It is picking up the word (t i t) in (s t i t c h e d) and editing it using auto censor rules.

Thank all of the whining members.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
because of all the whining, mostly from the H3 owners, it appears Jason has enacted the censor feature on the message board software. It is picking up the word (t i t) in (s t i t c h e d) and editing it using auto censor rules.

Thank all of the whining members. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figured it must have been some sort of sensor.

No whining from me