H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wireless Network Help

Ok, I know this isn't in the right section, but hopefully the person that can help me will see it sooner...

I'm trying to bridge two wireless routers with a Linksys Wet11 wireless bridge. The first router is a d-link wireless router with the internet connection...the IP address is 192.168.0.1. What I'm going to try to do is set the Wet11 to 192.168.0.225 static and point it to the d-link router with a cantenna. Once I get this setup, then connect the wet11 to my second router through the internet port. the 2nd router is a Netgear MR814(s) wireless router. On the netgear router, disable DHCP and set its IP address to 92.168.0.20 static. The gateway for both wet11 and netgear router will be set to the d-link address of 192.168.0.1 and DNS will be automatic.

If this works, my understanding is that the computers accessing through the second router will send their mac address' to the 1st router through the Wet11 and then be able to access the internet. Is that right?

If this isn't going to work, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

'03 H2
Old 05-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless Network Help

Are you trying to use it as something to extend your range? If you just want more range, get a Pre-N wireless router.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Hummer Professional

ratesguy is off the scale

just connect the hunzitz to the jargup. Huh? What language are you speaking?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Hummer Guru

Yeah, is for extended the range. I'm trying to use what I have without purchasing more equipment....

'03 H2
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratesguy
just connect the hunzitz to the jargup. Huh? What language are you speaking?

It's a mixture of japchinlish and romularabic...

'03 H2
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 AM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Doc,
Unless your ISP will supply you with a static IP address (usually for a few extra bucks a month) I don't think what you are trying to do will work.

Unless you're paying for a static IP address from your ISP they are dynamically generating a new IP address for you each time one of your computers access there service (i.e usually when you restart the computer or access the net via there services) Your router is taking whatever IP address they send it and then again dynamically generating a unique IP address for each computer on your network.

I'm no IT person and the above example or explanation may not be completely correct but I'm guessing your running into trouble and your isp dynamically generating ip address for you is as good an explanation as any.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending upon what ISP you have, the fact that you have a dynamic IP address isnt really an issue. We have Comcast with dynamic IP at our company and at home, we have a VPN that allows us access to our office via the web, sure once in a blue moon the IP will change but its usually only after the modem loses power or we have to reboot the modem. Now on to your question. I believe instead of trying to bridge the routers together it would be easier to get whats called a repeater, this essentially extends the range of the system. I use a Netgear wireless accent point at home, it was like a $450 unit and get very good range on it AND it runs at 108 Mbps which is faster than if i plug in hardwired. Every time we've tried to bridge routers it doesnt work, it always seems like something screws up the dhcp. Not saying it wont work. I know if you are using netgear they can actually remote access your hardware and set the units up, they did that on our VPN. Good luck...i know enough to be dangerous on this stuff....

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

So... You have a router, connected to your modem. You want to put your ethernet bridge near the edge of that routers range. Then you have another router, just connected to a computer, with no modem. You want that 2nd router to connect to the bridge in order to be on router 1's network and use that internet?

I believe you'd have to set the bridge to ad-hoc mode, it will pick up the signal from router 1 and be connected. Then just use windows to find the network, which will be through the bridge. Yeah...I think that'll work, try it!

But...isnt the wet11 802.11a/b? And I think I read something about a cantenna?! I'm almost positive your speeds will suck. What kind of range are you trying to cover?

You could sell your 2 routers, the bridge and pick up a Belkin Pre-N wireless router. I think that covers 250,000 sq ft, over the 40,000 sq ft a linksys wireless G router covers. It's only like $80, think about it!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Hummer Guru

Thanks for the input guys. In response to deit's question. I have a wireless router with internet in one building. In the other building, I just have a router and wireless bridge. I want to be able to pull the internet over the wireless bridge to the second router so that I, in effect, extend the range of the network. Yeah, it would probably be easier just to scrap the whole thing and start from scratch...but hey...gotta have a reason to hate computers and networking...

So far, with the above setup, I had the wet11 (wireless bridge) connected to the ethernet 1 port of the 2nd router. I am able to ping the wet11, the 2nd router, and the 1st router w/ internet - from my computer which is wirelessly connected to the 2nd router. Unfortunately, I can't get to the internet. I've tried moving the wet11 connection to the "internet cable in" connection of the router (where you would normally connect the modem), and then I can't ping anything but the 2nd router. I tried switching to ad-hoc and infrastructure mode with either setup, with no luck.

The reason I'm trying this is because I know that the Wet11 is supposed to allow bridging of two "wired" networks...and figured it shouldn't be much harder to bridge two "wireless" networks. Of course, I have now reached the extent of my network computer geek knowledge and am now fumbling...any other ideas?

'03 H2
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Hummer Guru

For those interested. I picked up a linksys wireless router and connected it the wet11. Then, I shot the wet11 towards the netgear router. Switched to Ad-hoc...and everything worked like I wanted it to. Unfortunately, the other router that I am trying to connect...won't connect... it's a d-link router...

'03 H2
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't you just get a buttload of CAT and hardwire one to the other?
Not the easiest, but the most reliable, don't you think?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the IP addresses. I'm hacking hou right now.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Denny Crane is off the scale

You could also get higher gain antennas and Nuke any small animals or Birds within 10 miles.

D