H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Elcova Rookie

skinner is on a distinguished road
Default Lemon Law: H3 is the most unreliable car I've ever owned!

I love everything about the H3....except the motor! Unfortunately the motor is a pretty important part The long and short of this story is that I am filing a complaint with GM under CA state "Lemon Law."

Since we bought the car in November we have had to replace the valves and head....THREE TIMES!! Over $10k in repairs Apparantly there is no solution for this problem...only temporary fixes. I would love to believe the lovely people at the dealer, but I'll leave it up to the courts to decide that.

A message to GM. Quit cutting corners. You had everything right in this vehicle...until you decided to put an underpowered Colorado pickup truck motor in it. Do some research...find some innovative technologies...try to at least compete with the foreign markets. It's no wonder GM is billions in debt. They are too concerned with rushing things to market that their reliability is seriously lacking. We know you have the ability to make great vehicles (Corvette C6 Z06).

As for me, GM is paying me back for this POS and I'm going to the Nissan dealer to buy an Xterra with a big beefy V6. Then I'll take the extra money and maybe go on a vacation The ONLY way I will come back to the H3 is if a small, lightweight turbo-diesel motor finds its way under the hood

If anyone else is experiencing the same problems as me, please be VERY skeptical of what the dealer tells you. After the second failure the dealer claimed it was a different problem. They "adjusted the spark plugs" and I was on my way. Took it to a DIFFERENT dealer the next day and sure enough...the valves were bad, there was a compression leak, and the head had to be replaced. The first dealer increased the idle revs to cover up the problem.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lemon Law: H3 is the most unreliable car I've ever owned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner
I love everything about the H3....except the motor! Unfortunately the motor is a pretty important part The long and short of this story is that I am filing a complaint with GM under CA state "Lemon Law."

Since we bought the car in November we have had to replace the valves and head....THREE TIMES!! Over $10k in repairs Apparantly there is no solution for this problem...only temporary fixes. I would love to believe the lovely people at the dealer, but I'll leave it up to the courts to decide that.

A message to GM. Quit cutting corners. You had everything right in this vehicle...until you decided to put an underpowered Colorado pickup truck motor in it. Do some research...find some innovative technologies...try to at least compete with the foreign markets. It's no wonder GM is billions in debt. They are too concerned with rushing things to market that their reliability is seriously lacking. We know you have the ability to make great vehicles (Corvette C6 Z06).

As for me, GM is paying me back for this POS and I'm going to the Nissan dealer to buy an Xterra with a big beefy V6. Then I'll take the extra money and maybe go on a vacation The ONLY way I will come back to the H3 is if a small, lightweight turbo-diesel motor finds its way under the hood

If anyone else is experiencing the same problems as me, please be VERY skeptical of what the dealer tells you. After the second failure the dealer claimed it was a different problem. They "adjusted the spark plugs" and I was on my way. Took it to a DIFFERENT dealer the next day and sure enough...the valves were bad, there was a compression leak, and the head had to be replaced. The first dealer increased the idle revs to cover up the problem.
Since this is the same engine that's in the Colorado, why don't those guys have the same problem?

Thanks for posting this crap as your first, and hopefully only, post.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok...I don't mean to be a bitch (ok..maybe I do)..but STFU. You're gonna post THAT as your first post!? Why even join the forum if you're getting rid of it?

If anyone here has a right to bitch about their H3..I think I would qualify. However, even w/ as many problems I've had with the H3, I'll still own one. Weather it's mine or a another one. It's still a bad ass truck..so get rid of your POS and buy an FJ....the KY cruiser seems like it would suit you better anyway.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

wonder if he even owns an H3...sounds like a troll

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 06-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Blahblahblahwhinewhinepiss&moanblahblah

Sounds like a dealer related issue.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIHUMMER
Ok...I don't mean to be a bitch (ok..maybe I do)..but STFU. You're gonna post THAT as your first post!? Why even join the forum if you're getting rid of it?

If anyone here has a right to bitch about their H3..I think I would qualify. However, even w/ as many problems I've had with the H3, I'll still own one. Weather it's mine or a another one. It's still a bad ass truck..so get rid of your POS and buy an FJ....the KY cruiser seems like it would suit you better anyway.

The girl has it right skinner. What are you doing here? I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad time with your H3 but if you expected people to commiserate with you about this... well... it ain't gonna happen here. Goodby little skinner, enjoy your YupTerra.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Elcova Rookie

Damn...don't take it personally. I was posting this message to address a problem...not to start a like/dislike war. If there are people out there with the same issue this may be useful to them. And honestly I have no idea why the Colorado owners dont have the same problem, but the fact remains that it is the same motor. It could be the combination of small motor, heavy truck, and all-time AWD. But this is not the purpose of this post. A new vehicle should not have these problems...period. I agree, the H3 is an awesome "mid-size SUV" (but by no means a badass "truck"). It has awesome offroad ability...when it works. But we can all agree that is underpowered.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
wonder if he even owns an H3...sounds like a stupid fuking moron dumbass idiot

Fixed.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
wonder if he even owns an H3...sounds like a troll

Oh my God you guys are defensive! Yes I'm an H3 owner. Yes this was my first post. Yes I am pissed my H3 keeps breaking. No this is not a dealer related issue (its been to 3 different ones because I thought the same thing). You guys sound like I insulted one of your children...lol
Old 06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

Okay...so you want to "help" people that might be having the same problems...fine. But you DEFINATELY didn't come across that way in your first post. You sounded like the typical troll who wants to bitch and whine about Hummers.

Yes...the H3 IS underpowed..but did you not notice that when you test drove it? Why DID you buy it the first place?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Oh my God you guys are defensive! Yes I'm an H3 owner. Yes this was my first post. Yes I am pissed my H3 keeps breaking. No this is not a dealer related issue (its been to 3 different ones because I thought the same thing). You guys sound like I insulted one of your children...lol

Well, in a sense you did. Had you come to us when your truck started having issues perhaps we could have helped. There are many experts and GM insiders here. Instead you came and told us how things had been bad and that you were leaving:
Quote:
As for me, GM is paying me back for this POS and I'm going to the Nissan dealer to buy an Xterra with a big beefy V6.
So, basically your post was inflamatory and unnecessary. Which brings the question: why did you post it, knowing that you were jumping ship?

Perhaps if you were saying that things had been rough but GM was giving you a new truck...

Enjoy the YupTerra. Good Luck.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Elcova Rookie

I bought it cuz the pros outweighed the cons. I was willing to deal with the sluggishness. I loved the ride, look, and suspension. Plus, this was for my wife...and she loved it. It just frustrates the hell out of me when dealers keep giving me the run around. $30k on a car and this shouldn't happen. The reason I made the Xterra analogy is because they are more reliable cars. The H3 is absolutely SUPERIOR offroad...but this is primarily a daily driver. And I'm to the point now where dealership visits are almost a monthly occurance.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Elcova Rookie

If GM really does "FIX" the problem....and I mean a real fix, as in never happening again, then we will keep the H3. But so far it has been "fixed" 3 times! I just want something reliable...thats all.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

Ok..fair enough. But you, like me, sound like you got a "jinxed" truck. Look how many H3 owners ARE NOT having issues with theirs. You say that you like everything about the truck...and you were willing to deal w/ the sluggishness...why not just get another one? There are always kinks to work with new market vehicles....just how it goes.

PS: what was YOUR build date? If you want to help...you really should let everyone know this as well.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Is GM willing to give you a NEW H3 to replace your current truck? If they offered to would you be willing to give it another try? If the answer is YES to both then lets talk. If the answers are YES and then NO... well, what do you honestly expect?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had your experience I would do the lemon law claim and have GM take the H3 back if they would.

I think your problem is with the dealer. Is there any way to get a whole new long block engine (block, crank, rods head etc) from GM not a dealer fix?

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 06-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Elcova Rookie

I haven't heard back from GM, but according to CA Lemon Law I am entitled to a new vehicle, or a complete refund minus "usage fees." Since there is only 10k miles on the truck this amounts to 5% of the purchase price. Of course I wish none of this ever happened. Maybe this is a "jinxed truck"...but I have heard other people with the same problem. I am unsure of the build date, but the truck was purchased back in October. As I mentioned before I would be willing to stick with the H3 if I was Guaranteed, by GM, that this problem was solved. A guarantee from a dealer means nothing.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

Skinner....Check your PM's.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you can get a 2007 model with the 3.7L engine

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
If I had your experience I would do the lemon law claim and have GM take the H3 back if they would.

I think your problem is with the dealer. Is there any way to get a whole new long block engine (block, crank, rods head etc) from GM not a dealer fix?

Would all three dealerships be getting parts from the same place? As I mentioned before I was skeptical of the first dealer...so its been taken to different ones. Hopefully #3 knows what they're doing.