H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road
Question Engine Block Heater question

Hi Experts and Expertettes -
I wanted to order an engine block heater for my H3, but was told that I needed to order it from the factory, i.e. order a new truck with that option. That it couldn't be added at the dealers. Can anyone tell me why? Is it embedded in the engine or something?
Thanks

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale
Default Re: Engine Block Heater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerHippy
Hi Experts and Expertettes -
I wanted to order an engine block heater for my H3, but was told that I needed to order it from the factory, i.e. order a new truck with that option. That it couldn't be added at the dealers. Can anyone tell me why? Is it embedded in the engine or something?
Thanks

you can get them from dealer...all you do is remove a plug on left side of motor and screw in heater...by the way it is a 17mm allen bolt style hole.
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Hummer Authority

I just found a little note that says 3.7L engine in 2007 H3 has "New cartridge-type engine block heater, which fits neatly into a specially machined block orifice; for use with available engine block heater."

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ec_062006.html

Are you thinking of that? Can a 3.5L engine's heater be added after delivery?

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
I just found a little note that says 3.7L engine in 2007 H3 has "New cartridge-type engine block heater, which fits neatly into a specially machined block orifice; for use with available engine block heater."

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ec_062006.html

Are you thinking of that? Can a 3.5L engine's heater be added after delivery?

I have never looked at or delt with an 07...3.7. I was talking about 3.5, which I have done. about 3/4 up the left(drivers) side of the block is a hole with a plug in it. All you do is unscrew plug(you will loose antifreeze) and screw in block heater. You can access this through left wheelhouse.

part # for heater is 12586687 retail $21.23
part # for the cord 15134398 retail $35.58
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Aha! Really? Cool. Thx for the part #s. I shall visit my friend neignborhood dealer to see what their computer says about these. Remember, he said they couldn't order a block heater.

29-Jul-2008
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 AM
Hummer Authority

OK, dealer can get parts. part they can't say if they can do the job 'cuz computer doesn't definitively show where it gerts installed. And the parts are not seen on a specific Accessories Page on their system, so they think (as mentioned earlier) that it has to be order with a truck.

They wondered, if the heater goes right into the block or into some other part (possibly water pump?) If it goes into the block, then they said the standard H3 engine should be able to have the heater installed. If it is in some other part, then perhaps a non heater truck doesn't have the correect part to accept the heater. (paraphrasing their thoughts).

So, does the heater go right into the engine block? Anyone have one installed after they took delivery?

Thanks.

29-Jul-2008
Old 08-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Hummer Authority

ok, heater plugs into the engine to heat the coolant. Search function works

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...t=block+heater

So, has anyone had it done after delivery?

29-Jul-2008
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
ok, heater plugs into the engine to heat the coolant. Search function works

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...t=block+heater

So, has anyone had it done after delivery?

As I stated above I have installed the block heater for the H3 after getting it at the dealership. What kind of dealership are you talking to about installing this??? I have herd people on here berate dealer techs and being one myself usually felt defensive but if your dealer techs can't access GM Service Information and figure out how to install a block heater then I feel sorry for you. If they can't seem to get it done give them this... It is procedure for replacing the heater but is the same for removing plug and installing heater. Heater screwws right into side of the block.
Document ID# 1556421
2006 HUMMER H3
Coolant Heater Replacement

Removal Procedure
  1. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .

Raise and support the vehicle only high enough to access the coolant heater (6) through the wheelhouse. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. Remove the left wheelhouse liner. Refer to Wheelhouse Panel Replacement in Body Front End. Disconnect the coolant heater cord (4) from the coolant heater (6).
  2. Remove the coolant heater from the engine block.
Installation Procedure
  1. Notice: Refer to Component Fastener Tightening Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the coolant heater into the engine block.
    Tighten
    Tighten the coolant heater to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Connect the coolant heater cord (4) to the coolant heater (6). Install the left wheelhouse liner. Refer to Wheelhouse Panel Replacement in Body Front End. Lower the vehicle.
  2. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System.
Document ID# 1556421
2006 HUMMER H3

Last edited by cestwick : 08-09-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Hummer Authority

THanks! Now THATS why I love the forum and purchased a hummer!
It's a hummer dealer. THey were accessing some GM parts thingy on their computer. But because the heater wasn't showing on some "accessories" page, they didn't know they could add it later.

29-Jul-2008

Last edited by HummerHippy : 08-09-2006 at 12:27 PM.