Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need a tent

Can anyone help me find a good tent? Not something that you can hang off a cliff and spend the night in, just something for two tall adults and two little rugrats. It also rains a lot here in the Northwest so I'd like to stay dry overnight if possible. I haven't used one since my Dad had his great big army canvas tent that smelled like mold all the time. It was so heavy you could barely get it out of the truck.

Gots to get ready for the Rubicon!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need a tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
Can anyone help me find a good tent? Not something that you can hang off a cliff and spend the night in, just something for two tall adults and two little rugrats. It also rains a lot here in the Northwest so I'd like to stay dry overnight if possible. I haven't used one since my Dad had his great big army canvas tent that smelled like mold all the time. It was so heavy you could barely get it out of the truck..

I dont know if your have dicks sporting goods over there, but if you do, see if they still have ones made for them by eureka!. I would recommend getting a two pole 2-3 person tent w/ a removable rain fly. I had a $350 north face bull frog (or something like that) for years until it burnt in a fire. It was ok, but I like my $99 eureka! one far better. It is lighter, quicker (2 poles instead of 3), and it has lasted very well even with abuse, drunkeness, dogs in it, and indifference due to its low cost. I've had it 6 years now and its 100% fine.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=319930

We use something like this and it works great.
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 09-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBLWARMR
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=319930

We use something like this and it works great.

17' x 10' I guess you might as well park the Hummer inside too...
Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Old 09-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can anyone help me find a good tent? Not something that you can hang off a cliff and spend the night in, just something for two tall adults and two little rugrats. It also rains a lot here in the Northwest so I'd like to stay dry overnight if possible. I haven't used one since my Dad had his great big army canvas tent that smelled like mold all the time. It was so heavy you could barely get it out of the truck.

Gots to get ready for the Rubicon!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I heart the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent, especially the large one when paired with the 7"x"10" vestibule. Open up the three large, screened doors/windows, and it's cool in the summer. When the weather gets bad, this thing is bomb-proof. You can secure it down with over 50 guy lines (rarely necessary barring a hurricane or blizzard - but better to have and not need than need and not have); very heavy, waterproof fly covers the entire tent surface area; seven heavy duty aluminum poles. Giant vestibule allows you to set up a stove/grill and cook when the wind/rain prevents doing so outside. You can stand up inside. Large enough to put tables and cots in there. One of the best designed products of any kind that I have ever owned. Not terribly cheap.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Hummer Guru

x2
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a three room tent from costco that we bought in 2003. Costco has a new tent everyyear, and so far most of them have been pretty good. They run around $100 and hold up very well. If you don't do a lot of camping, then I definately wouldn't spend too much for one My only question is weather or not there is enough room along the rubicon to pitch a tent of that size. Any rubicon veterans know the answer to that? I also have a small 3 man tent but it won't fit the whole family....If we use that, then some would have to sleep in the rig....

'03 H2
Old 09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I heart the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent, especially the large one when paired with the 7"x"10" vestibule. Open up the three large, screened doors/windows, and it's cool in the summer. When the weather gets bad, this thing is bomb-proof. You can secure it down with over 50 guy lines (rarely necessary barring a hurricane or blizzard - but better to have and not need than need and not have); very heavy, waterproof fly covers the entire tent surface area; seven heavy duty aluminum poles. Giant vestibule allows you to set up a stove/grill and cook when the wind/rain prevents doing so outside. You can stand up inside. Large enough to put tables and cots in there. One of the best designed products of any kind that I have ever owned. Not terribly cheap.

Cabela's = Great service, great products, and I have seen this tent setup, it looks impressive.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Cabela's = Great service, great products, and I have seen this tent setup, it looks impressive.

Agree. There are dozens of high-quality small backpacking tents out there. But, short of the massive hunting camp, semi-permanent, tents, there aren't a lot of great options for larger ones. I had owned some other large tents in the past. After my wife and I cut short a 3-day camping trip when the last one leaked during an intense evening downpour in the Rockies, I looked at all the options available, and this one seemed like the best. Only downside, other than the cost, is that it takes about an hour to put up for one person and about 30 minutes for two. However, if you're campinig for at least two nights, it's worth it to me. The beer can holders affixed to the walls are a nice touch.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Cabela's = Great service, great products, and I have seen this tent setup, it looks the tents they used when they found out about E.T. but green.

fixed just kidding- kind of.

We have a Dicks too (heheh....."Dicks" ) and we bought a Coleman tent for 99 or less and it was great. You can put two of them side by side- kids and adults. Plus if space between trees in a factor you can move them how you want. But we also have a larger 3 room with a little porch deal on the front of it but I can't remember who makes it. I'll check. But most of them are pretty easy to set up nowadays which is great. Make sure you look for the rain resistant ones.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marinehawk's
tent is very impressive.

i've seen it in person.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

This ones nice. It cost a bit more than your average tent but its sweet,and those pesky animals wont get to you.
I beleve the seller is a forum member.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies. All of em before I was even up!

MarineHawk, that's one serious setup. I think I can get by with one a little smaller, but I like the fact that it's really weatherproof. When it decides to rain over here, it can really get bad. I like CP's idea too, of having two you can put together. Sounds like there are a billion choices.

We don't have a "Dicks", but I can go to the local Camping gear outlet and look for a tent. REI is downtown and parking the Hummer on the street could be risky. I could order one from Cabella's. I love that place.

They don't make the old tent's with one big tall pole in the middle anymore, do they?

What about sleeping bags? Or those pad thingys that even out the tree roots so you don't get one on the spine all night.

How do I pick a tent? What should I look for?
I guess something like 10'x10' would work. I always have lots of crap everywhere I go, so I'd need some extra room inside.
Rain Flaps?
A little thing on the front for muddy kids to undress in?
Is there any type of material that is better? UGH! I just want a pretty one that matches the woods. K? Do they have those?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Rox,
Just get a simple 10x10ish tent, made by a good manufacturer like Kelty. You don't need those fancy "3 rooms" crap tents, just something like this which is super easy to set up in 5 minutes:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001& productId=48047331&parent_category_rn=22000147&vca t=OUTLET_SEARCH

Old 09-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I like CP's idea too, of having two you can put together.

This makes it even less inexpensive, but:
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
This makes it even less inexpensive, but:

Too complicated. Kids can be sent to sleep in the H2 if required.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
What about sleeping bags? Or those pad thingys that even out the tree roots so you don't get one on the spine all night.

If the tent's big enough, cots are nice. You have the added benefit of being able to store a large volume of things (for me in tubs) under the cot. Then, you have more room in the tent. I put one of those mattress thingies on top of the cot. It's like sleeping in a narrow bed. I have lightwieght goose down bags for backacking where it's cold, but for Hummer camping, I actually prefer the cotton/flannel bags. A decent one is just as warm--it just weighs 15 times as much. They're a lot cheaper too.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hummer
Too complicated. Kids can be sent to sleep in the H2 if required.

My little guy would probably prefer it. And I would probably never need two tents, as we are stopping with our second son--due Dec. 12, but until they are old enough to shoot bears, people, and other threatening varmints themselves, I think they will sleep with me and Mr. Ruger.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
If the tent's big enough, cots are nice. You have the added benefit of being able to store a large volume of things (for me in tubs) under the cot. Then, you have more room in the tent. I put one of those mattress thingies on top of the cot. It's like sleeping in a narrow bed.

LOL. Slow down man. She's talking about car camping, not a trek up Everest! Leave the bags in the H2 and sprawl out in the empy tent.