H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 PM

H2Girl is off the scale

Does anyone know how to reset the oil life display in the information center of the cluster? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 PM

H2Girl is off the scale

Does anyone know how to reset the oil life display in the information center of the cluster? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If I remember right.
Make sure oil life is displayed on the console.
Then press and hold the enter button on the wheel until it resets.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:58 PM

H2Girl is off the scale

Thanks BigZ! Worked out fine.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:45 PM

OUSUCKS is off the scale

When all else fails read the manual.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:55 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Question about the oil filter and time to change. My hummer man said that the H2 will "tell" me when it's time to have an oil change and that the driving habits affect your change time. So what % does it get down to before you have to change it out.

Am curious. I have 35% left on mine and I have about 5700 miles on the rig.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-30-2002, 09:15 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I would use the "% oil life remaining" as a guide only. I had my first oil change at 3500 miles and will probably not go over 5000 miles between changes no matter what the computer says.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 12-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thats about the miles I changed the Oil in mine the first time--(33%)--Only my opinion, but would not go over 6000 miles without a change. It also depends on the conditions you drive in. If you drive it hard, in dusty areas/off road in summer/Fall, change it more often. But the old standard, every 3000 miles, is cheap Insurance, for a long and happy engine life.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:15 PM

well that is exactly what I told the guy at Hummer but he is insistant (not sure if that is a word or not) that I wait until the computer tells me to change it. He says the hummer monitors our driving habits and regardless of mileage it will tell you when to change it.

Did anyone go to the dealer the first time or did you go to your regular joint or maybe even do it yourself???

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-30-2002, 10:48 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I had oil change at 3000 miles, on the dot, I didn't care what the digits said. Dealer didn't say a word abut what not, gave me a free change. I think they gave free first oil change to every new Hummer.

I made the mistake of buying $900 3 years service contract, you bet I will be back there every 3000 miles.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:48 PM

DIANE is off the scale

I went to a local place.The nearest dealer is 4.5 hours away and that is too far to drive for an oil change. I had my first one at 3500 miles with the oil indicator at 62%. I think that will be the average time for me.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:25 AM

well I will be off in the a.m. to get it changed then regardless of what the service man says then.

THanks you guys...

p.s. I have always gone by the 3K rule, but just going by the Hummer guys.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 01-02-2003, 01:36 AM

JJ is off the scale

FYI, the oil life reading is based on engine RPM and temp if memory serves me correctly - its in the manual. This is a poor gauge of engine oil life, the best gauge is oil viscosity. GM and others have been working on a true oil viscosity sensor for several years but to my knowledge has not deployed it. Oil viscosity changes as the oil breaksdown under use and is also a good indicator of other contaminants entering the oil stream such as metals. I'd guess that one of their difficulties is in a calibration scheme that works for the myriad of oil choices/brands.

In absense of a true first order sensor of oil life (such as viscosity) I'm sticking with the every 3000 mile rule of thumb - too bad, because I'm sure there are plenty of times when our vehicle's oil doesn't need to be changed as often.

JJ
Old 01-02-2003, 02:15 AM

yep I agree with your posting. Had mine changed on Tuesday at 5700 miles on it and the guy said it looked fine and was not "dirty" or dark in color. He said I was right on time getting it to them but was not in "dire straights" yet.

Also, the guy told me not to use a synthetic oil until I reach 10K miles. He stated that on a new vehicle you want everything to be nice and oiled (broken in) before switching over to synthetic.
He said this was the recommendations they were taught. Makes sense.

I actually new a girl who never changed the oil in her Toyota in the '80s. She drove it all through high school without one single change. Can you believe that? She came from a single family with no male influence. Scarey.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 01-02-2003, 02:32 AM

driftwood is off the scale

Dear Hummergirl
That mechanic telling you to wait until 10K for synthetic may mean well but probably is misinformed. Your engine better be oiled well no matter what oil from the get go or you will surely sieze.I'm sure he was referring to breakin period but I think it doesn't really matter. For some reasons emotions run high when it comes to synthetic vs conventional. Synthetic is more slippery than coneventional and reduces the waer and tear of startups which is especially pertinate to cold climates. Us southerners don't have to woory about that!
I attribute synthetic from preventing a siezed 454 Merc V8 inboard in my boat. I blew out a oil filter relocate hose and lost oil from the engine and unsure of the exact problem until dockside, I idled home 30-40min when I really should have shut the engine down.

Pete
Old 01-04-2003, 06:01 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I expect to own my H2 for about 3-6 years...by then I probably won't be able to stand not owning the newest model of H2....which will have all the undeniable upgrades that we can't resist.

While I like to take care of my toys and treat them as if I'll keep them forever....you have to consider what your really doing is taking care of it for someone else down the line. Course, if buyers ask if it has had synthetic, it sounds good to say "yes".

I myself will change the oil every 3,000 miles...by then it always seems dark, dirty and in need of changing. An idea is to look for the Fram oil filter that is longer then the typical short ones you may find in stores. I think you may find a high quality filter better then the cheapo's they use at Jiffy-lube and other shops where overhead is a major component against profit! I personally use the Fram PH3675.

The manual explains that engine oil life is determined by RPM, engine temp and other related factors. While that may be the truth, I think the computer guides us on a 6,000 mile 100% to 0% scale. Funny how my engine oil life was exactly 50% when I hit 3,000 miles on the nose!

Hummergirl, I wish you had changed your oil at 3,000 instead of waiting. When an engine is breaking it, there is considerably more wear/tear and particles in the oil. I'll stick to every 3,000 miles at least until you reach 15K.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:31 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

I waited until my engine oil life showed 30% before changing it, and then I changed it myself. I drove a BMW for years always following their computer for engine oil life, and the 3K miles is a guideline and is heavily impacted by how you drive. You won't have any problems with your engine because you didn't change it at 3K miles. Keep doing what you're doing.

Kelley