H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 AM

Centerfire is off the scale

I just experienced down and up shifting on minor hills for the 1st time.. On the way to the riverbost today , while driving into a major head wind. The H2 would down shift for a short period of time, I can now see why others on this forum had issue with it. It got to be a bit of a pain in the backside. On the way home with tail wind. not an issue. Not sure if new Gobi roof rack was an issue too. ALl I can say is that it is a howling bugger at 60 to 80 mph.. Hoope will reduce when Gobi send the 2" Brackets and I ake off the ugly faring.

Mike
Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 AM

I just experienced down and up shifting on minor hills for the 1st time.. On the way to the riverbost today , while driving into a major head wind. The H2 would down shift for a short period of time, I can now see why others on this forum had issue with it. It got to be a bit of a pain in the backside. On the way home with tail wind. not an issue. Not sure if new Gobi roof rack was an issue too. ALl I can say is that it is a howling bugger at 60 to 80 mph.. Hoope will reduce when Gobi send the 2" Brackets and I ake off the ugly faring.

Mike
Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 AM

unaslob is off the scale

what kind of bracket are they offering instead of the fairing??? I dont have that much trouble with howling... but I would think that taking the fairing off would only make it worse... the howling is caused by uneven airflow over the small holes in the flooring of the rack... if the fairing is not on properly it rattles pretty good..and it is a pain in the ass getting that fairing fitted properly.. una
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 10-31-2003, 12:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, the downshifting is why I have been looking at the programmers. Unfortunately, the HPPIII will not help with this problem (in another thread, I posted the email from Hypertech stating that the HPPIII will not modify part throttle shifts).

The Diablosport Predator should help with the shifting problem (I have an email from their tech support saying it will help). I ordered a Predator yesterday, so I will soon know...

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 10-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

I have the predator and do not have or have experienced the down shifts as mentioned. The Gobi Rack is great I have the 2" brackets and have since the begining and you will always have some wind noise especially at higher speeds. Do you have the lights also? The lights on the Gobi rack and wind noise are virtually no louder than the Factory offered light bar.

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.
Attached Images

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:52 AM

Waiting on the standard 2" brackets.. I do not like the way it looks sitting up on the 4 1/4" brackets.. I know I do not have the PLexiglass farring mounted down tight. Was waiting for brackets.. Yours appears to be lying back at a steeper angle. No I did not get the lights. Although we became a dealer for Gobi.. I can obtain the lights elsewhere for less. PLus Not sure which lights I want. considering the Hella Black magic lights. ( They look cool).. ALso I was waiting on lights form Clifford mfg since August. They are still not ready so I canceled yesterday and will have to find a nother source for POlice LED"S. Unfortunately I do not know of any other company using Class III LEd's in their lights, so the search goes on.

The downshifting is not a major issue for me. We do not have many hills around Indianapolis. I believe the big problem was the 30 mph head wind. I can say That even with the wind I could get the big red box a little over 100.

My 99 sub would shift down during the same trip until I put the supercharger on. Never downshifts on the trip now. We didn't take the sub because the check engine light is on and didn't want to be 100 miiles form home and have it die.ANd the wife will not take the ride in my lowered 69 chev truck.

Mike
Old 10-31-2003, 10:54 AM

By the way do you have any fit problems with the 37" tires. If not do you have the air suspension on the rear or have to do any lift to the front. My H2 has stock suspension ( no air in back). MIke<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TBarrow:
I have the predator and do not have or have experienced the down shifts as mentioned. The Gobi Rack is great I have the 2" brackets and have since the begining and you will always have some wind noise especially at higher speeds. Do you have the lights also? The lights on the Gobi rack and wind noise are virtually no louder than the Factory offered light bar.

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

Mike,

Coming from a place where a 30mph wind is common I have the same issue as far as up/down shifting. (Have actually burned a transmission up on a 92 Suburban from the constant shifting.)

If I'm running into the wind and get alot of shifting, I'll keep a close eye on the trans temp, and even put it into the tow/haul mode. (of course MPG goes down even more, but the temp will cool down and remain constant)

I don't know if this is proper action, but seems to alleviate the shifting problem.

Any thoughts???

John
Old 10-31-2003, 02:21 PM

2slo4now is off the scale

I'm with you Phil. Why does it downshift with the cruise and not with the foot. Strange. Magna charger extreme flow exhaust intake and programmer. She still downshifts more than I would like. I've got my programmer set to unlock the converter instead of downshifting. It makes the transition much smoother.

Dan from Alabama
Old 10-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

You guys are both right about the cruise control.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting a programmer that eliminates the torque management, increases shift points, etc. helps.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:03 PM

OOPs!.. I forgot. Yep the cruse was on.. I wonder if I just took the darn thing out of overdirve and ran in 3rd gear.. If it really got to drive me nuts.. Or I could just only drive away from the win d and down hill.. Or not dirve on windy days on the interstate.. Oh Hell its an H2 it's cool no matter what.
Mike
Old 11-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

The 37's did not rub at our last offroad event. I do have the air suspension but have left the front stock. there is a spot on my sway bar but it was there before the 37's. The black magic lights by Hella were a little to big to fit the Gobi Rack. I went with the Piaa 580's

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.
Attached Images

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:35 AM

Thanks for info on Black Magic.. That helps in deciding what to go with, by illiminating one choice. Mike