H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

PhillyPhreak is off the scale

All right ....before the Newbie gets flamed for this.....let me state that my H2 will be a stictly road vehicle used for occasional towing. I really want to slam my vehicle along with black 22" rims. I'm having all the chrome taken off (going for the stealth look). What are some of the negative side affects to lowering a H2? Has anyone on here done it? I do go offroading....this is one of the vehicles I would tow....
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

All right ....before the Newbie gets flamed for this.....let me state that my H2 will be a stictly road vehicle used for occasional towing. I really want to slam my vehicle along with black 22" rims. I'm having all the chrome taken off (going for the stealth look). What are some of the negative side affects to lowering a H2? Has anyone on here done it? I do go offroading....this is one of the vehicles I would tow....
Old 02-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Lowering your H2 is like lowering your Jeep. Many have lowered their H2's and the cornering, towing ability is next to useless.
I'm all for lowered rigs, but the Hummer? YUCK!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

HeimenHummer is off the scale

If you lower you H2, it would be as useless as your Jeep.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

I would hardly call my jeep useless....gets as good gas milage as a stock H2...maybe more and with 6" of lift can go a lot more places.....I have no intentions of ever taking the H2 offroad...I like this look http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4522581909&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Minus the rims...and Hammer I'm looking for facts not opinions...why does it reduce it's towing capabilities???

PS did I mention my jeep has OBA (on board air for non off roaders)...a belly up conversion (extra 3.5-4" underbody clearance)....full skids...lockers...8500lb winch...a ford 8.5 rear...should I go on???
Old 02-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

So what negative effects happen when you lift it? Poor gas milage....need to regear to gain your power back (larger tires of course)....I have also heard of control arms snapping ...is this true? Sorry I'm completly new to H2's....I'll probably look for a H1 when I want a new trail vehicle....but that is not what I plan on using the H2 for....this will be a mostly a crusier
Old 02-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhillyPhreak:
So what negative effects happen when you lift it? Poor gas milage....need to regear to gain your power back (larger tires of course)....I have also heard of control arms snapping ...is this true? Sorry I'm completly new to H2's....I'll probably look for a H1 when I want a new trail vehicle....but that is not what I plan on using the H2 for....this will be a mostly a crusier <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tie rods snap, and it doesn't have to be lifted for that too happen either.
As for your Jeep, that thing would be F.U.N. to off road in. you have a lot of work into her. NICE RIDE! If you lower that thing and want to still tow with it,, esp. towing another rig with it, you will have to bag it more than likely. I don't know that much about dropping your H2. If you like that look, why don't you just throw some 22's or 24's on there and leave the susp. where it is. this way, it won't cost you a fortune and still look sweet and be practical to tow with.
there are a few members here that have BIG rims and tires on their stock susp. One of our freinds here in CO has 22" spinners on his and he tows an enclosed trailer and has no problems, he put the nittos on it. it looks nice! not my style, but it looks good with that size rim and tire combo.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

Tie rods....thanks...I don't know why I was thinking control arms. I'm not set in doing it....I just wanted to see any disadvantages of having an H2 lowered. I understand that is not most people thing on here. I like to have one "BLING" mobile to go out in.....and the Z is becoming too small. To tell you the truth my first lowered car was my z. I have fully adjustable coilovers....obviosely their is a huge gain from these performance wise. You just give up a little comfort (not much).
Old 02-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Philly,

WHY would you NEVER take the H2 off road? The H2 is just as if not more capable than your Jeep. Do you have a specific reason as to why you'd never consider upgrading your off road experience?

Don't get me wrong. I love Jeeps! They are really cute and when I see a sexy girl driving one, it looks just right. Girls look good in Jeeps. So cute.

My Video Collectionez

Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Becuase I don't care if I dent/roll my jeep off road....I'm not spending $50k to damage it (right away). I'm more likely to challenge myself if I'm not to worried about damage. Now that's not to say I wouldn't consider lifting it in the future. However a jeep can fit down some trails I wouldn't take a H2 down (to tight). I just don't plan on using it like that right now....beleive me I saw a lifted black H2 on e-bay and I loved it!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

PS i'm not going to argue which is more capable ....becuase in some situations you want/need a larger wheel base. I can see you don't have any respect for a jeep...but a H2 is no H1.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Just teasing you Philly!

8 year Jeep owner here. I've always had a soft spot for my YJ Sahara SE. But now that I have a family(wife n 2 boys), I had to find something that can haul them around in the event of ARMAGEDON.

My Video Collectionez

Old 02-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Can't trust you damn Canadians....Just Kidding
Old 02-11-2005, 09:48 PM
HummMe

When did Ford come out with an 8.5 rear? Did you mean to say a 7.5 or a 8.8 or a 9" or a 10 1/4 or a 10.5
Old 02-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Hummer Professional

DH22G is an unknown quantity at this point

you will loose your towing ability. i have 22"s with spinners on my ride if you want it to be a street machine put the BFG Gforce 325/50/22 its a sick tire and fills the well and also rides nice. dont touch the suspension. you wont be able to tow and your gonna kill the cars balance
03 H2 White... too much to list
2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX -READY FOR THE SUN
Old 02-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

I meant 8.8...typing with a few beers in me will lead to misstypes. The 8.8 swap is fairly easy on a wrangler and is starting to get popular. Their are a ton of ford explorer rears sitting in junkyards waiting to be switched.....an added bonus is I now have 4 wheel disc brakes instead of the factory rear drums.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hmmm I'm surpised that lowering it 2 inches would affect it this much. I guess I'm use to lowering a car as being a benefit handling wise. Now towing I haven't the foggiest idea becuase I have never "towed" with any of my previose vehicles (cars) I lowered.
How does lifting affect the towing capacity?

DH....do you have any pics of your set up?
Old 02-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Hummer Professional

DH22G is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i have pics back at my house ill have to post some on sunday night when iam home.. lifting it effect the gears so youll get obviously worse gas and you will need the custom drop hitch for it to reach. also the correct way to lift is to also change all the gears.. lots of unnecessary money.. just stock is fine ill get you pics, my logo pic is a pic of it with the 22;s and tires..
03 H2 White... too much to list
2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX -READY FOR THE SUN
Old 02-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Philly,
If you decide on anything over 20"s you may have to upgrade your brakes as well. On our Pewter H2 we have 20" wheels with big "meaty" mud tires. Personally I think H2's look better with beefy tires. Even with the 20's, however, braking at highway speeds was a pain. Tomorrow we get 18" Kaotic NT-2's with big beefy tires installed on my wife's yellow H2. The only off roading that thing has seen is a few speed bumps.
Attached Images

2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM

Mr. Lambdebois is off the scale

Negative side effects of lowering your vehicle and increacing the diameter of your rims.

One thing you need to take in consideration is that you will be changing the suspension geometry which will chance how it drives and reacts to different conditions. another thing to be aware of is to consider the overall diameter of the wheel and tire compared to the stock configuration. A larger diameter is essentially a larger lever and can cause wheel bearings to fail sooner.