H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 PM

richk is off the scale

I am trying to get my dealer to disable the TPM system. They have serviced the system and still cannot get rid of my "tire pressure low" messages, which come on any time the H3 sits for a few hours. So I have requested the system to be turned off or disabled until Hummer comes out with a working fix. The tech is telling me "the system cannot be turned off because it is built into the body control module". Does anyone know if its possible to turn off or disable the TPM?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:53 PM

richk is off the scale

I am trying to get my dealer to disable the TPM system. They have serviced the system and still cannot get rid of my "tire pressure low" messages, which come on any time the H3 sits for a few hours. So I have requested the system to be turned off or disabled until Hummer comes out with a working fix. The tech is telling me "the system cannot be turned off because it is built into the body control module". Does anyone know if its possible to turn off or disable the TPM?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richk:
I am trying to get my dealer to disable the TPM system. They have serviced the system and still cannot get rid of my "tire pressure low" messages, which come on any time the H3 sits for a few hours. So I have requested the system to be turned off or disabled until Hummer comes out with a working fix. The tech is telling me "the system cannot be turned off because it is built into the body control module". Does anyone know if its possible to turn off or disable the TPM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tech is correct, it would take a recalibration issued by GM to turn off the system. Even if a tech could turn it off, it would be in violation of Federal Law and could also open the dealer to possible future lawsuits. (Try and get them to disable the airbags and see what they say.)

Have they replaced all the sensors and the BCM? If not, that would be my suggestion to them. Also, a call to the assistance center should be made, and try and get a GM service engineer out there.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:17 PM

richk is off the scale

Their last response to me this afternoon was "we are going to wait until Monday to see if any new service bulletins come out"
Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

I have gotten the same comments Rich.
we have the same issue, but after the third reset, it's been fine... knock on wood!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Hummer Guru

Just had a thought. Did they calibrate the sensors? Possibly, one is out of calibration and causing all the problems.
If it was me, I would follow the relearn procedure in the owner's manual, and see if that helps. If not then pull out the phone and complain to customer assitance.
He could end up waiting for hell to freeze over before a bulletin is relesased. Then again, one might be issued someday.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:25 PM

richk is off the scale

The tech even made a comment to me, something to effect of "Hummer is not even paying for our service time on all these TPM issues".
Old 09-16-2005, 07:27 PM

richk is off the scale

I have service tech's email address, so I can be a real pest until the TPM issues are resolved. Personally I just wish it was possible to turn off the entire system. It's more trouble than its worth. If this is any indication of whats to come in future years with TPM systems being required on all vehicles, all the dealerships are in for a big service nightmare!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richk:
The tech even made a comment to me, something to effect of "Hummer is not even paying for our service time on all these TPM issues". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BS on the part of the tech, or the dealer is screwing the tech. GM has a labor op 9995 that is "customer concern not duplicated," he can use. In addition, if he is smart enough to find the problem, they can claim "other hours" for diagnosis on the part replaced.
What they can't claim is a duplicate for a part replace that was not defective. If it takes them three tries to relearn the system, they can get paid for it, if the dealer submits the claim.
One of the biggest problems I have seen with techs is the dealer does not pay them what the labor time from GM says.
In addition, I believe GM just released some new ops that pertain to diagnosing these sensors, and will even pay if it is due to the customer not having correctly inflated tires.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 PM

richk is off the scale

Final word from the dealer today is that the TPM system cannot be disabled. So it is going back in on Wednesday for the third time to try and fix the problem. I am getting tire low messages every time I drive now. It is really getting annoying. The service tech actually tried to convince me to just deal with the messages until Hummer figures out what is wrong with the TPM system. My plan is to continue to bring it in until the problem is fixed. Maybe I will set a new world record for the most serviced H3.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

f5fstop, hey just curious if you think the corvette tpm sensors would work?

They might be a better solution for us with rim profiles that make the sensor stand straight up off the wheel instead of having the slanted lip.

Brent
Old 09-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Hummer Expert

CslRkH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you just pull the fuse?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

Since I changed my wheel and tires too aftermarket wheels and tires my TPM message has come on. If you find a way to disable it let me know.
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 09-20-2005, 03:55 AM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure that the installers did move the sensors over to the new wheels. And then I bet you just need to resync them to the computer in the truck. Same was true for vettes sometimes they just needed to be resynced. But make sure they are in there first =)

Brent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rhyno:
Since I changed my wheel and tires too aftermarket wheels and tires my TPM message has come on. If you find a way to disable it let me know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a great way to get it fixed. Call GM and tell them your on your 3rd fix for the same problem and then talk to the service Mgr. or Dealer owner. Be nice just point out 3rd time same problem. Your gettting close to Lemon law land. Some of the Techs are not always Sr. techs. Alot of friction in service if your at a multi line dealer when it comes to Hummer.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I have not come across any that I have not been able to fix so I am calling out B.S. on other people saying they can't be fixed. First of all, do you have the same wheels and tires on it that it was new with? Read the sticker on your door jamb and make sure it is the same as what's on your truck. They may have done a tire swap before you bought it and not known it. Also, are you getting a service tire monitor system message, or a low tire message?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
I have not come across any that I have not been able to fix so I am calling out B.S. on other people saying they can't be fixed. First of all, do you have the same wheels and tires on it that it was new with? Read the sticker on your door jamb and make sure it is the same as what's on your truck. They may have done a tire swap before you bought it and not known it. Also, are you getting a service tire monitor system message, or a low tire message? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you
Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM

richk is off the scale

Everything is stock. The dealer set all the pressures, did whatever they thought needed to be done (calibrated this, set that, etc), and sent me on my way. And 2 blocks down the road from the dealership the tire low message comes on again!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Hummer Guru

So, you are saying the dealer didn't replace any parts?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
I have not come across any that I have not been able to fix so I am calling out B.S. on other people saying they can't be fixed. First of all, do you have the same wheels and tires on it that it was new with? Read the sticker on your door jamb and make sure it is the same as what's on your truck. They may have done a tire swap before you bought it and not known it. Also, are you getting a service tire monitor system message, or a low tire message? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and Low tire.