H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-17-2002, 01:27 PM

MJG NJ is off the scale

Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting the air susp? Will the regular one sag if heavily loaded? The slight offroad advantages of the air susp do not really interest me.... but if I have some bikes on the back and a full load, I do not want to be driving pointing "up"

Thanks.... Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 01:27 PM

MJG NJ is off the scale

Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting the air susp? Will the regular one sag if heavily loaded? The slight offroad advantages of the air susp do not really interest me.... but if I have some bikes on the back and a full load, I do not want to be driving pointing "up"

Thanks.... Mike
Old 11-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

The Air Suspension will not benefit someone who is only putting on a couple of bikes, 300lbs of cargo and no offroad use. It was designed for Heavy off road use, Trailer towing and Heavy Payloads 1000Lbs. or more. I went ahead and got the Air Suspension anyway because once your up in that 55K plus range whats another $1500.00. It will help with resale when I trade it in or sell it used down the road.

Old Mother Hummer !
Old 11-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I didn't care much if I have air suspension or not, but it came with it. For 7 weeks every drive and couple mild off-roads, I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. However, it seems air susp. is quite important to many other H2 owners, as such, $1000 air susp. could be just a bit valuable at resale time, but maybe just a couple hundred $ worth, if that much.
At resale, buyers look at price first, equipments later, generally higher priced same year used car get less interest and inquiries, regardless what fancy stuffs inside.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I opted not to get the air suspension. True it does have some advantages, but I felt over a period of time it would requie more mqintenance than a coil spring( you can't hardly mess up a coil spring). I talked to a service manager at a local dealership and was told that he already has a H2 in the shop where the leveling valve had failed, resulting in a overinflated suspension which ruptured the suspension bladders. I was not real impressed with the location of the leveling vave either. The valve is mounted in the rear wheel well and will catch a lot of road spray, stones, etc. that the tire throws at it.

Don
Old 11-17-2002, 07:27 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I got the air suspension/on-board compressor system just so I could hear it hiss like a Tractor Trailer rig with air breaks when I turn off the engine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 11-18-2002, 02:16 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

It is a lot cheaper to do it yourself with lots of beans, you don't even have to turn off the engine, and you can go anywhere and hear it anywhere whenever.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:19 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

MAC...

and the smell will be right up there with diesel exhaust.

Don [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Hummie2 on November 18, 2002 at 07:28 AM.]
Old 11-18-2002, 02:39 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

So when do you press the little button that says tow/haul. Do you press it before you add on the weight or after you have your load. Curious as we will start boating season this spring and have never had this option on a vehicle before.

Cannot wait to use it. Saw an excursion pulling a large load with it's nose in the air and sighed to myself that I won't have to look like that going down the road.

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com
Old 11-18-2002, 05:12 PM

Big Red 1 is off the scale

I understand that the tow/haul button only keeps the transmission from shifting in and out of overdrive, when towing.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

The air suspension is on my necessity list, mostly because its available [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

- Dan
Old 11-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You pretty much use this mode when towing or hauling. It does change the shift points and throttle programing. I found it very usefull when climbing the curvy hills, (better pedel response & shifting). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2002, 09:19 PM

oh I am gonna be pissed bc this SUV is supposed to have the Air suspension on it. We ordered it with the kit and my husband sent me to pick it up and no one went over what we got.

there were 5 people picking theirs up that day. We did not want the air compressor I remember that bc we have one here at the house that is portable.

Oh this is great.

~amy

Old 11-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If you want the air suspenion to work, you need the Air compressor. When loading down or pulling a trailer, boat, or whatever, the system will compensate-self level-adjust the ride height of the H2. There is also an air jack for filling your tires if you carry the hose, and a button to raise and lower the rear.
Didn't mean to confuse with the tow/haul, as they are not allways used together.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:11 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I don't quite understand what Amy's talking about here. If your H2 is equipped with air suspension option, it comes with the compressor, hose and etc. I don't think you have a choice to NOT want it. Amy, What "kit" are you talking about?
Old 11-19-2002, 01:01 AM

See I am about to get really really mad now. The one we ordered was supposed to have the air suspension kit on it.

I just went over my order papers tonight...it was definitely an option for us. Uh...I heard some folks weren't getting it even though they placed an order.

I also emailed the dealership about it as well. I had the little one with me who was not co-operating with me on the day I took delivery so we were hurried and so was our salesman bc there were so many of us ready to pick up that same day. We remember telling the guy to order it so I know he did not goof up on the order. Honestly I never paid any attention to the back of the truck cause I have not put much in the back yet. So I did not notice that the air suspension buttons were missing. I thought the tow haul button was what we used to level out.

What to do now? Damn I am so pissed.

~amy

Old 11-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Amy,
If you have the air suspension/compressor option, it should be listed on the widow sticker that came with your rig. Also, you will have the button up front to raise the back end and a little air hose attachment below the 12V plug right inside the rear hatch.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 11-19-2002, 01:59 AM

You know what...I remember that now as we were looking at the demo H2.

Gonna go and dig in my sticker...well it never made it to the glass as it was never on the lot for sale.

But there was one in the glove compartment with my paperwork. Gonna go and check now.

How much difference will it matter that we don't have it. We will be hauling around one ton of clay in my hummer at a time and pulling/releasing our boat in the ocean and lake. The boat we want is around 22-23 feet but my husband would love to have a 50' and that is a good chance we get one like that.

Will we be okay with what we got? I am thinking we will but just curious.

~amy

Old 11-19-2002, 02:57 AM

Gary is off the scale

I love my H2's air suspension. When parked at a stoplight it loves pass gas. I just chuckle with my girlfriend and say "This HUMMER likes to Pass Gas" During the summer, I noticed people with their windows down glance at my H2 wondering what just a happened. Between the Whelen Air Horn & PA and the H2 air suspension, my H2 is full of sound effects that bring a smile to my face and others. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Respectfully yours,

Gary
Finlayson, MN

Gary
Finlayson, MN

www.FinancingYourHome.com/MyH2HUMMER.htm

www.FinancingYourHome.com
Old 11-23-2002, 05:30 PM

TJ is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummie2:
I talked to a service manager at a local dealership and was told that he already has a H2 in the shop where the leveling valve had failed, resulting in a overinflated suspension which ruptured the suspension bladders. I was not real impressed with the location of the leveling vave either. The valve is mounted in the rear wheel well and will catch a lot of road spray, stones, etc. that the tire throws at it.

Don<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like this is exactly what might have happened with my H2 - it would sure explain that big puddle of fluid we found underneath it (leak appears to be coming from the rear tire area).