H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

Hello everyone. I'm really looking into an H2. This is my second time of looking into this, first time a couple of years ago, and the reason I did not get it then was because I heard so many horror stories regarding gas mileage. I really want this truck.

Could you guys, real world owners and drivers of H2s please tell me?

1. What is the real mileage on them? It would be mostly city driving, AC always on (South Florida). Is it that bad? Are "tree huggers" just exagerating?

2. Do you have to put premium gas in it? Can you just put regular? I'm talking about lowest grade, I thing it's 89 octane?

Thanks for your help, as again it is the only thing that's preventing me (my wife doesn't wnat me to pay for excess gasoline) from just getting it.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

Hello everyone. I'm really looking into an H2. This is my second time of looking into this, first time a couple of years ago, and the reason I did not get it then was because I heard so many horror stories regarding gas mileage. I really want this truck.

Could you guys, real world owners and drivers of H2s please tell me?

1. What is the real mileage on them? It would be mostly city driving, AC always on (South Florida). Is it that bad? Are "tree huggers" just exagerating?

2. Do you have to put premium gas in it? Can you just put regular? I'm talking about lowest grade, I thing it's 89 octane?

Thanks for your help, as again it is the only thing that's preventing me (my wife doesn't wnat me to pay for excess gasoline) from just getting it.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 AM

shipbldr is off the scale

I have averaged 12.3 mpg in my daily driving over the 11,000 miles since I bought the truck. AC is almost always on.

I burn only 87 octane gas and change the oil every 2500-3000 miles. My oil change intervals are very short because I think oil is cheap... and engines are not.

About milage concerns... If you are actually worried about the cost of gas... this might not be the right vehicle to buy.

If you buy an H3... you will get the (dare I say it...) same offroad abilities. And the 20k you save would pay for all the gas you might ever buy for it.

On the other hand... You would probably need to pry my H2 from my cold dead fingers to get it away from me. I've had a lot of cars... but nothing has been so much fun in so many ways as my H2. Fun to drive, gets a lot of attention, roomy inside for tall guys, and endless possibilities for change.

Summary:

If you worry about the cost of gas... this is the wrong truck.

If you want a truck that's a joy to own and don't mind the slight price premium... JUMP ON THIS ONE!!

P.S. Present GM price discounts are enough to offset the cost of gas of the lifetime of the truck... food for thought.

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
If you buy an H3... you will get the (dare I say it...) same offroad abilities. And the 20k you save would pay for all the gas you might ever buy for it.

Summary:

If you worry about the cost of gas... this is the wrong truck.

P.S. Present GM price discounts are enough to offset the cost of gas of the lifetime of the truck... food for thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the H3, very underpowered imho, the gas thing, I currently drive two BMW 5 series and I could swear those things eat gas like there no tomorrow and I can only put "Premium" gas in them.

and yes, the GMS discount and current money factor on the H2 are very atractive...
Old 06-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an H3 on order but with the new discount I have been seriously thinking about trying to get an SUT

Now, if I can just get my company to pay for my gas, it is a done deal

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
Now, if I can just get my company to pay for my gas, it is a done deal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what I will probably do...

Come on Hummer owners, please let me know so that I can go to the dealership and get the damm truck!!!

Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 12:47 PM

h2sin is off the scale

Around 9.3 mpg, city/highway(during traffic jam mostly)

TBH if you have not driven one.. go drive it and you'll forget all about mpg dont forget to bring the wife
Old 06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

I average 12.1 @ 38K miles. Mix of highway and lots of traffic jams with the A/C blasting. The mileage isn't that bad for a truck anyway, even the Honda Ridgeline all wheel drive truck only gets 17 mpg with a V6. The H2 is made to run on regular gas and lots of it with that 32 gallon tank. It only hurts when the price jumps up. The most I have ever put in it was $65!

If it don't go chrome it!
http://home.comcast.net/~mbdougl2/2003h2.htm
Old 06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Hummer Guru

My friends that have them say that they get around 11 mpg. I am pretty sure they are not keeping close track of it though. You know, when you are made of money it really doesn't matter much

Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

I get 9 and change (9.2 to 9.4) overall. That's my average total since 2003. On the open road (trip), I get 11 and change. I don't know if I have a heavier foot than most or if it's the frequent mountain climbs. Either way, I think I'm toward the low end. So if you figure you'll ge what I get, you'll either be spot on or pleasantly surrprized. Now go get that truck before they run out of your favorite color!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

11.3 with 99% city driving. I got over 12 with stock tires.

You're going to find that most SUVs are within this range, especially the larger ones. Personally, a 2 mpg difference between an H2 and an X5 wouldn't matter much to me.

Also, keep in mind that EVERYTHING is more expensive on this truck. Parts cost more, oil changes, car washes, new tires, etc. Gas mileage isn't the only concern.

I would take one for a 24-hour test drive and see if the pure coolness of driving a Hummer outweighs your concerns regarding gas mileage.

Stacy
Old 06-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by mbdougl:
The most I have ever put in it was $65!
[quote]

$65 ? I'm currently putting from $50 to $54 in the 530i paying "premium" prices, so $65 is not really a big difference (I think)
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
...HMR even had some figures like that recently.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, but there is a typo in the title sentence in that article on page 42 I can let typos slide in the body of text on occasion but not in the BIG BOLD TYPE in the title of the article.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Like most people, I am averaging 10.5 ~ 11.0 mpg tops. And that's mostly city driving and mostly light foot. If you are worry about gas mileage, this may not be the truck for you. BUT do inform your wife that most full size "and" mid size SUVs out there are gas guzzlers as well. I think it's safe to say most of them get low teens in real world. So depending on how many miles you drive per month, the difference in gas money may not be as much as you think
Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilfred:
So depending on how many miles you drive per month, the difference in gas money may not be as much as you think </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much, for example 2003 530i 11.5K miles on it...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

trashguy is off the scale

i get low 10s also, best i ever saw on a all highway no a/c trip was 11.6.my friend has a 4 door dodge ram with a hemi and i get better mileage than him.the 32 gallon tank takes a little getting used to though.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaybeH3:
Not much, for example 2003 530i 11.5K miles on it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on how long you have had it to get to 11.5K miles, the mpg on the H2 really shouldn't be an issue. What I mean is, it's an '03 but when did you buy it?