H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-03-2005, 10:03 PM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

Okay here is the deal. I want to get a black on black with Luxury, Adventure and sunroof. I know those are all factory options and is how the car must be configured upon delivery. However, I also want to get the black crossbows, black tubular assist steps and the wrap-around brush gaurd. If I were to buy these accessories a la carte from a dealership, would it cost me more instead of having the car fitted with them at the factory? Second, would I be able to install it on my own. I'm fairly good with cars so I'll know what I'll be doing. But is it something that can even be done if it wasn't installed at the factory? Reason I ask is because I know I won't find a car local to me with the exact specs that I want. Chances are better though that I'll find a black/black with just lux, adventure and sunroof and then I can add the accessories myself. This way I can get a better deal on a car thats already on the lot rather than have to special order with the accessories that I want and possibly pay a premium. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:03 PM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

Okay here is the deal. I want to get a black on black with Luxury, Adventure and sunroof. I know those are all factory options and is how the car must be configured upon delivery. However, I also want to get the black crossbows, black tubular assist steps and the wrap-around brush gaurd. If I were to buy these accessories a la carte from a dealership, would it cost me more instead of having the car fitted with them at the factory? Second, would I be able to install it on my own. I'm fairly good with cars so I'll know what I'll be doing. But is it something that can even be done if it wasn't installed at the factory? Reason I ask is because I know I won't find a car local to me with the exact specs that I want. Chances are better though that I'll find a black/black with just lux, adventure and sunroof and then I can add the accessories myself. This way I can get a better deal on a car thats already on the lot rather than have to special order with the accessories that I want and possibly pay a premium. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:07 PM

firm is off the scale

If you order the accessories when you buy the car you shouldn't be paying for labor. Unless they are hustling you.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the other items are dealer installs anyway. Not positive. Though I read in a thread earlier that getting the brush gaurd installed later is more expensive. Don't know for sure though so check the Hummer site. Should tell you there.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 PM

RT0870 is off the scale

If you DO choose to wait and add the accessories later.....you ought to check out this site:

http://www.h2parts.com/

It's a Lynch Hummer subsidiary...I think.

The prices are anywhere from $80-$200 less than what you will pay from the factory. AND, for the exact same item.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Hummer Professional

funpilot is off the scale

My local dealer says that installing the brush gurad costs more than the part, so get it from the factory.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:16 PM

Mervz is off the scale

Is anyone really that incompetent that they cannot install a brush guard themselves??? What is it, 4 maybe 5 bolts?? jeesh same with the side steps.. easy work...
Old 06-03-2005, 11:18 PM

RT0870 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mervz:
Is anyone really that incompetent that they cannot install a brush guard themselves??? What is it, 4 maybe 5 bolts?? jeesh same with the side steps.. easy work... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I'm a thinkin', too.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mervz:
Is anyone really that incompetent that they cannot install a brush guard themselves??? What is it, 4 maybe 5 bolts?? jeesh same with the side steps.. easy work... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same too (I just posted that in another thread)... can somebody please confirm how are the brush guard and side steps installed?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone really that incompetent that they cannot install a brush guard themselves??? What is it, 4 maybe 5 bolts?? jeesh same with the side steps.. easy work...

I was thinking the same too (I just posted that in another thread)... can somebody please confirm how are the brush guard and side steps installed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I answered in another thread, We donot install brushguards, sidesteps, upper lights, ect.at the plant. These are dealer installed options. They can't be too difficult to install, just my opinion. I have installed sidesteps on Tahoes, and the like. Just used regular tools.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:05 AM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

Thanks for the quick reply everyone. I think I'm gonna buy the parts from H2Parts and install them myself when the time comes. This is how I've done it with all the OEM parts for my other car too. A lot of the dealerships have there own websites and sell the OEM parts at a very small percentage above their own cost. Im glad to see there is something like that available for the H3.

If holes for the brush gaurd and side steps have been pre-drilled from the factory, then I don't see the installation being much of an issue if I do it on my own. Even if installing the brush gaurd requires taking off the bumper, I still think it shouldn't be to bad. But just to be safe, like DeLeon said, if someone could post how the brush gaurd and side steps are installed, that would help out a lot. This way I can see if there is any welding involved too. Additionally, if someone who is going to a dealership can compare an H3 with and without the brush gaurd and side steeps to see if holes are pre-drilled, that would be a big help also. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

Hey S2KtoH3, maybe we can get together and install those in our H3s! H2Parts has great prices, I would save almost $1,000 after shipping if I buy from them (that is in parts only), I think I could sace another $1,000 if I install everything myself.

I'm in El Centro, CA but I go to San Diego every weekend.. are you anywhere near here?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If holes for the brush gaurd and side steps have been pre-drilled from the factory, then I don't see the installation being much of an issue if I do it on my own. Even if installing the brush gaurd requires taking off the bumper, I still think it shouldn't be to bad. But just to be safe, like DeLeon said, if someone could post how the brush gaurd and side steps are installed, that would help out a lot. This way I can see if there is any welding involved too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't think any welding would have to take place. I would think that these options would just bolt on. We wouldn't predrill for any options. Most options like these would use exisisting holes in the frame.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 AM

RT0870 is off the scale

Glad the link has worked well for some of you!!

Now........if only I could take delivery of one myself
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 PM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

DeLeon, I'm in South Orange County. When are you getting your H3 if you don't have it already and what accessories do you plan on getting?