H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 PM

poul is off the scale

So to determine if I can live with it, I rented H3 from Budget ($100/day, ouch) and took it for a road trip to Mt. Rainier last weekend.

City driving is total blast, the truck is fast, responsive, and turning radius is unreal. You cannot see squat when backing during parking, of course, but I would just ride on pavement and drop from it into perfect spot.

On a highway, it’s somewhat sluggish and passing is hard, but I drive Mustang Cobra, so nothing is really fast after that monster. Overall, the impression is OK, ride is comfy and sure, lesser cars part their way to let me drive , takes turns with confidence and stays on course, which is more than can be said about most SUVs.

I went camping, and what can I say? “Almost folding” rear seats suck. Really stupid design compromise. Everybody has flatly folding rear seats these days, even freakin HHR, what’s the freakin’ problem, Chevy?

Offroad, this beast goes through any challenge I could find for it, including specially designed offroad course; it was really amusing to look at faces of all the guys with heavily modified jeeps and land cruisers when I drove past them on a trail in a rental, with music blasting, cute girl in bikini, cigar in my mouth

What concerns me is horrible handling on a gravel road. At any speed above 25MPH this thing would just skid sideways. Very unstable and uncontrollable. I could drive this in my rear drive Cobra faster and with more confidence. Every single Honda Element and Toyota Matrix passed me, driving 10..15 MPH faster, really annoying. My question to off-roaders – is this normal on rigs like this? Jeep Wranglers were passing me too.

Other than these points, I am really impressed with this beast.

Cheers,
Poul.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 PM

poul is off the scale

So to determine if I can live with it, I rented H3 from Budget ($100/day, ouch) and took it for a road trip to Mt. Rainier last weekend.

City driving is total blast, the truck is fast, responsive, and turning radius is unreal. You cannot see squat when backing during parking, of course, but I would just ride on pavement and drop from it into perfect spot.

On a highway, it’s somewhat sluggish and passing is hard, but I drive Mustang Cobra, so nothing is really fast after that monster. Overall, the impression is OK, ride is comfy and sure, lesser cars part their way to let me drive , takes turns with confidence and stays on course, which is more than can be said about most SUVs.

I went camping, and what can I say? “Almost folding” rear seats suck. Really stupid design compromise. Everybody has flatly folding rear seats these days, even freakin HHR, what’s the freakin’ problem, Chevy?

Offroad, this beast goes through any challenge I could find for it, including specially designed offroad course; it was really amusing to look at faces of all the guys with heavily modified jeeps and land cruisers when I drove past them on a trail in a rental, with music blasting, cute girl in bikini, cigar in my mouth

What concerns me is horrible handling on a gravel road. At any speed above 25MPH this thing would just skid sideways. Very unstable and uncontrollable. I could drive this in my rear drive Cobra faster and with more confidence. Every single Honda Element and Toyota Matrix passed me, driving 10..15 MPH faster, really annoying. My question to off-roaders – is this normal on rigs like this? Jeep Wranglers were passing me too.

Other than these points, I am really impressed with this beast.

Cheers,
Poul.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">his beast goes through any challenge I could find for it, including specially designed offroad course; it was really amusing to look at faces of all the guys with heavily modified jeeps and land cruis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had this after I'd had it in four wheel drive locked.
Is this when you experienced it?
I think it takes some time for the lock to disengage resulting in a very scary ass sliding ride until it fixes it self.

Mine took almost 10 minutes before it stopped doing it.

-C
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 PM

poul is off the scale

i think i tried it with both lock on and lock off, for about 30 minutes each.

10 minutes? scary.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

entheos is off the scale

The H3 has a special "fender safe" circuit that will randomly activate the brakes a single wheel at a time to mimic poor handling when gravel roads are detected. This keeps the speed down to prevent loose stones from popping up and possibly damaging the fender flares. When mud flaps are installed, the mechanic is instructed to over-ride this circuit by using a special code consisting of a complex series of long and short presses of the unlock button.

I would go into how to get the rear seats to fold flat but this is so obvious and ben described ad nauseum in this forum that I will neglect to repeat it. I will say that it involves a bean bag.

The H3 relies on intimidation (or indifference) when backing up as well. What was that crunching sound?... another Prius

Seriously I practically live on a dirt road but until my mudflaps come in, I am too paranoid to go fast enought to see how it handles. Was stabilitrak activated? I do prefer dirt roads that are packed gravel and not loose, lots of cars aren't so hot on marbles, especially the glacial outwash type.

And please tell me that cigar was not lit.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poul:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's the problem, you drove a Chevy Hummer, not the Hummer Hummer.
Can't speak for the seats, that is something everyone has to decide on by them self. As for the gravel driving, well, I have Wrangler, and let me tell you on a loose gravel road, the Wrangler goes sideways faster than the Hummer.
I have driven a few H3s on gravel roads, and my suggestion would be to make sure you are in the normal drive mode, and not in 4-Hi or 4-Lo. I find with my Jeep there is less sliding in only rear wheel drive.
You might want to turn off the traction control too.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

montanah3 is off the scale

Hmmm....This is interesting! I have driven front wheel drive auto for the last 18 years and was able to go places that most people had to lock in their 4-wheel drive. It didn't want to purchase a light ended truck, so I wouldn't have to learn to drive all over again so to speak. Would like to hear more about this phenomenom. No wise cracks. My husband has been after me for years to get a new vehcile. I told him when I found something I wanted--I would get it -- and the H3 was IT! Live on a gravel road which depending on the season is dusty & dry, wet & slippery, snowy & mushy, or 8 inch frost heaves!...And that's while avoiding deer and other critters.

Slate Blue, Lux, Adventure, 4 Mud Flaps, Brush Guard
Old 08-23-2005, 01:14 AM

poul is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I practically live on a dirt road but until my mudflaps come in, I am too paranoid to go fast enought to see how it handles. Was stabilitrak activated? I do prefer dirt roads that are packed gravel and not loose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>well, it was *rental*, what do I care? Of course when I buy my own baby hummer I am going to install biggest baddest mudflaps I can find, with silhouettes of naked chicks on them. As I said, I tested both configurations: auto 4wd with stabilitrack on, and locked 4wd with stabilitrack off. No much difference. And the whole point of offroad vehicle is that you don’t get to choose the roads, you just take them, no? I would take it easier if Honda Elements would not pass me by every 5 minutes, you know?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And please tell me that cigar was not lit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> of course it was lit. duh! And music was blasting. It was more fun that way.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have Wrangler, and let me tell you on a loose gravel road, the Wrangler goes sideways faster than the Hummer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ah, that explains it, I guess. But wranglers were passing me too. I guess they are not that heavy...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have driven front wheel drive auto for the last 18 years and was able to go places that most people had to lock in their 4-wheel drive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I’ve driven both FWD and RWD, and for me RWD with manual transmission is easier to control - I just do throttle steering, like on a racing course – something you cannot do on FWD. BMW has the whole litany somewhere online about how RWD is better on snow, ice etc. The thing is, Hummer’s 4WD is controlled by computer, not me, so I don’t know what the hell is going on in its little semiconductor brain. I wish I could turn 4WD off altogether and keep it in RWD mode. How about another button, Hummer engineers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Live on a gravel road which depending on the season is dusty & dry, wet & slippery, snowy & mushy, or 8 inch frost heaves!...And that's while avoiding deer and other critters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> for roads like this, I would rather buy Subaru. I’ve driven WRX on roads like this, and it easily goes 50MPH where other cars fall off the road at 30, with traction to spare. It can also drive circles around Hummer on a highway

Seriously, every vehicle has its purpose. Where I live, everything is paved, except when it’s not, it’s really unpaved and only Jeeps and Land Rovers venture there, so Hummer sounds just perfect. For you – maybe not so much. Rent it for a day or two, like I did, you’ll get the idea.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:01 AM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">cigar in my mouth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In your mouth or the girl in the bikini's mouth?

Inexperienced driver on gravel are we?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The H3 has a special "fender safe" circuit that will randomly activate the brakes a single wheel at a time to mimic poor handling when gravel roads are detected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Why the hell did they do that?
I'm going to get mine turned off today.
Are they trying to cause an accident or what?

-C
Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FormerJeeper:
That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Why the hell did they do that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They didn't.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:40 PM

poul is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In your mouth or the girl in the bikini's mouth? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>depends on the definition of the word "cigar"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Inexperienced driver on gravel are we? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yep. i only drove on gravel: miata, cobra, ford probe, honda crv and subaru wrx.

any pointers on how to do it in baby hummer?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Hmm, if the lockers were engaged the steering would see wierd. Not sure if it would skid but feel if you couldn't control the way you wanted to or would feel like when you turn the wheel and it doesn't turn (at least not responsive). The lockers like to go in straight lines so if engaged this might be the deal.
I heard that the 4 wheel low disengages automatically around 20 MPH on the H2, not sure on the H3 though.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Hummer Expert

Can you tell me more specifics of where you went in Mt. Ranier?

If you purchase a H3 I recommend sand dunes in Eastern Washington or the Beach in Long Beach, WA.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 PM

poul is off the scale

i went to mowish lake, evans creek offroad trail, camped at ipsus creek, and then drove to summit and hit a couple of forest roads off highway 410 - there are plenty of them.

i will definitely hit the dunes! how difficult is drive there? i remember long beach is very easy, we got through it in audi awd.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Hummer Expert

Thanks for the info. I have parked at Ipsut creek and hiked up the Glacier before so I am familiar with that area.
On the internet Evans Creek looks hard core, what was your opinion of it. I mean should I be an experienced driver to go to those trails? I have been on plenty of off-road trials in the H3 but not a Veteran by any means.

The dunes are not difficult just have to get used to them. It seems wiered to drive over a hill and only see the sky, so it can be intimidating at first. You will need to put a flag on your rig some rule.

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM

poul is off the scale

oh, i didn't spend much time on those trails and didn't go to difficult ones - i am not experienced offroader myself - last time i did it was in israeli negev desert many years ago, and "sufa" jeep was government property i just wanted to get a brief taste of what is it like in H3. i think to do some serious wheeling there you should be a part of a group.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:37 PM

poul is off the scale

here are the photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyrea...rainieraugust/
Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Hummer Expert

Nice pictures. I mean nice scenery and nice quality pictures. We won't tell anyone but people don't understand how beautiful it is here. 75 is hot and on average we get less rain than Dallas in Summer.
I have the red also, haven't seen any others on the road yet though. What dealership did you get yours at?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:03 PM

H3OH is off the scale

WOW!

Very nice pics...but I made the mistake of going up one in the directory...WOWZA!

Some interesting images there!

Interesting!