H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

Awhile back I called Onstar and added more minutes to my phone number account. I was informed that I could get a vehicle diagnostics report sent to me by emails! I thought NO WAY!? THIS IS AN AWESOME SERVICE!! HOW COOL IS THIS!!
So I just wanted to see if some of you H3 owners knew this was available to you. The email from Onstar has all the info at a glance.

Because you're an active OnStar subscriber enrolled in OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, you receive regular e-mail updates on the condition of four of your vehicle's key operating systems. So wherever you drive, you can feel more confident that your car is ready for the road. About every 30 days, your vehicle will automatically transmit diagnostic data
on the following modules:
Engine and/or Transmission System
Air Bag System
Antilock Brake System
OnStar System

Here are some basic info that is provided:
(I blocked out some info.)
All the info is in HTML fromat and is well laid out.

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics for your
2006 Hummer H3 as of 10/23/2005

Dear Anthony ******,

As you requested, here is your latest OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report. This invaluable service is an exclusive benefit of owning an OnStar-equipped GM vehicle and offers even greater peace of mind by helping to make sure your vehicle is ready for the road. Your most recent checkup results are shown below. For more detailed information, just click as shown.

As always, if you have questions about this report or OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, please call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or push the blue OnStar button in your vehicle.

VIN:
5GTDN******102551

Account Number:
010-***-****

Vehicle Phone Number:
414.***.****

Diagnostic Status: Complete. No action needed.

More Information

Antilock Braking System

More Information

Air Bag System

More Information

Onstar System

More Information

Remaining Oil Life: 70%
No service needed.

More Information

Mileage: 13,183
No maintenance needed.

More Information

Hands-Free Calling:
40 minutes remaining.
Good until 09/23/2006.

More Information

OnStar Subscription:
Credit card on file.

Just one more reason why I am glad I purchased a Hummer!! So for the H3 owners out there, get hooked up with this great feature that Onstar offers.
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Hummer Professional

Awhile back I called Onstar and added more minutes to my phone number account. I was informed that I could get a vehicle diagnostics report sent to me by emails! I thought NO WAY!? THIS IS AN AWESOME SERVICE!! HOW COOL IS THIS!!
So I just wanted to see if some of you H3 owners knew this was available to you. The email from Onstar has all the info at a glance.

Because you're an active OnStar subscriber enrolled in OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, you receive regular e-mail updates on the condition of four of your vehicle's key operating systems. So wherever you drive, you can feel more confident that your car is ready for the road. About every 30 days, your vehicle will automatically transmit diagnostic data
on the following modules:
Air Bag System
Antilock Brake System
OnStar System

Here are some basic info that is provided:
(I blocked out some info.)
All the info is in HTML fromat and is well laid out.

OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics for your
2006 Hummer H3 as of 10/23/2005

Dear Anthony ******,

As you requested, here is your latest OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report. This invaluable service is an exclusive benefit of owning an OnStar-equipped GM vehicle and offers even greater peace of mind by helping to make sure your vehicle is ready for the road. Your most recent checkup results are shown below. For more detailed information, just click as shown.

As always, if you have questions about this report or OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, please call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827) or push the blue OnStar button in your vehicle.

VIN:
5GTDN******102551

Account Number:
010-***-****

Vehicle Phone Number:
414.***.****

More Information

Antilock Braking System

More Information

Air Bag System

More Information

Onstar System

More Information

Remaining Oil Life: 70%
No service needed.

More Information

Mileage: 13,183
No maintenance needed.

More Information

Hands-Free Calling:
40 minutes remaining.
Good until 09/23/2006.

More Information

OnStar Subscription:
Credit card on file.

Just one more reason why I am glad I purchased a Hummer!! So for the H3 owners out there, get hooked up with this great feature that Onstar offers.
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Cool.

I just used OnStar this weekend, even though there customer service is not that good and the lady said the transmission is part of the engine. They were able to tell me why my engine light was on and also told me I had rough idleling (which I did). I don't use them much but am beginning to think I should more often.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale

I have received my first vehicle report from OnStar and I really like the service...it helps me to figure about when I will need to make the trip to Lubbock to have my oil changed/regular service stuff. Since this is over an hour away I like the idea of knowing how soon an oil change will be needed.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Hummer Professional

Location: Killing Fields or Antenora...if u know where that is contact me NOW.
H3OwnerDiz is off the scale

NICE! I had no idea I could do this! Thanks

Boulder Grey H3
Old 10-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

It's a pretty cool feature. Here's the link to sign up for it:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/ovd/index.jsp
Old 10-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks for the link DarthKarl. Everyone should know that this Onstar Diagnostic Service is at no additional cost to Onstar subscribers.
(Monster Garage Narrators Voice: FREEBIES!!)
Old 10-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link.

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,600+ miles
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Signed up and three days later i have The report.Its good because you can keep track of the minites on the phone They give you 30 minites and the first time they sell you 100 min for 19.99. Regularly they are 100 min 39.00 so it good to keep track.
One funny thing though it said oil life remaning 89% I had the oil changed at 1400 mi and the dealer didnt reset, so at 2759mi it was 89% how far can you go using that system ? I didnt realize they didnt reset it for few hundred miles so I left it and will complain at next service.Im changing the oil every 3000 miles no matter what on star says.

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,700+ miles
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, the oil life monitoring system is very accurate, as long as:
It is reset at each oil change...

You use the correct oil (it is programmed for a particular oil spec, and if you use an inferior oil, it does not know this, use a better oil and it does not know this either; however, it will not cause any future problems)...

Depending on your driving habits, a 3K oil change is only good for the oil companies and their employees and stock holders (see note below). (Ever notice that all those so-called pros who recommend a 3K oil change all have their fingers in the oil industry?)

Just watch your OnStar readings (or purchase a Tech 2), and actually monitor the oil life percentage. In the colder months, it will reduce at a faster rate for miles driven, then it does in the warmer months; providing you are not driving in the Sahara.
Someone who does short drives in the winter, not allowing the oil to warm up, will have the light kick on a lot sooner, than someone who drives a decent warm up cycle, which allows the moisture in the engine to burn off. Oil improvements in the past 10 years has been amazing as well as the longevity of the oil additives used. GM, as well as all other mfgrs spent millions on research and testing of this system, and they did it to help their customers cut operating costs, while allowing for no damage to the internal components of the engine.
For those who disbelieve, my suggestion is before saying something does not work, obtain the proof.
I have my oil analyzed on all my vehicles on the second oil change. I ship off a sample to Blackstones, and they in turn send me a complete oil analysis, including the TBN. So far, on all my vehicles (including the Vette) that have an oil life monitoring system, the oil analysis indicated the oil was still healthy, didn't need changing, and was not high in any trace elements except for those used by the oil company, or those natural to that particular engine.
Example, on my '03 Vette, when the monitor indicated 20% life remaining, I would head up to the store, purchase my Mobil 1, then within a week or two (depending on driving) I would change the oil. My results from Blackstone's was usually 6 or 8 TBN, with high trace amounts of calcium (additive used by Mobil), and in the early years, high nickel (common on the LS1 engine). Average miles on the oil was in the 6-8000 mile range, with the low end during the cooler months, and the high end in the warmer months.
The only thing the system can not take into consideration is dirt entering the engine. If you are using a paper style air filter, and the box, as well as all the other intake areas are sealed properly, that is not a problem. If using a foam type filter, then I would recommend (my recommendation only) changing earlier, depending on where you have been driving. If only city roads, there should be no problem, if off-roading, dirt will be entering the engine. Foam filters are not good filters for filtering dirt. Many tests prove this, and that is one reason why I will never use one (that and dynos I have had performed proved no increase in HP.)

To sum it up, it is your engine, do what you want. However, to save money, to help reduce oil imports, go with the monitor. If you decide to change your oil every 3K, I personally thank you, since my retirement fund is primarily based on oil stocks, and the more oil you'll purchase, the sooner I might be able to retire. (Oh, and use XM too, that helps the retirement account too.)
Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

just signed up! how do you view your oil life meter? i change mine every 5k miles or so
Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale

Well said.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Hummer Guru

wannabeh3 with car off put key foward without starting press odometer reset button till oil life comes up hold down button to reset,its all in the manual.

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,700+ miles
Old 10-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

I have the OnStar Diagnostics set up on my H2 and my wife's H3. Very nice system.

As for the oil change, I use the in dash meter too. When I go in and get one of those silly stickers on the window saying "Come in in Another 3,000 miles" I tear it off. As Fstop mentioned, I think it's very safe to trust the system. Why would it be there otherwise!? It obviously not helping the dealers any, and if you follow it and the engine siezes up, that's not really helping GM either. So let the computer control your life...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aubs:
I have the OnStar Diagnostics set up on my H2 and my wife's H3. Very nice system.

As for the oil change, I use the in dash meter too. When I go in and get one of those silly stickers on the window saying "Come in in Another 3,000 miles" I tear it off. As Fstop mentioned, I think it's very safe to trust the system. Why would it be there otherwise!? It obviously not helping the dealers any, and if you follow it and the engine siezes up, that's not really helping GM either. So let the computer control your life... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So let the computer control your life... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

....How true... When My friends start bitchen about the cost of natural gas and gasoline....I laugh... I don't care..that's when I turn up my thermostat and fill my tank and drive even more. I do the "Oppisite" ..Like the Seinfield episode...(OPPISITE GEORGE) Where he does every thing oppisite.

A friend of mine was getting on my case about buying a HUMMER...He called them gas Guzzlers..
This might be true...but this is America... the land of the free..So ...Drive your Hummer and enjoy what you have reaped..!

I also have a 65 Corvette with a GM ZZ502 Deluxe Crate Motor..That's 502 CID and 502 HP..
And I'm proud to say it gets 13MPG.. Of course that's because I also have a 5 speep OD Tranny behind the Motor.

Gas....$3.00 A Gallon... No Problem... Bring It on... Here In New Joisey.. we Have the Higest Property Tax And Car Insurance in the Nation..

Might as well enjoy whil the stuff is still flowen..
Old 10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aubs:

As for the oil change, I use the in dash meter too. When I go in and get one of those silly stickers on the window saying "Come in in Another 3,000 miles" I tear it off. As Fstop mentioned, I think it's very safe to trust the system. Why would it be there otherwise!? It obviously not helping the dealers any, and if you follow it and the engine siezes up, that's not really helping GM either. So let the computer control your life... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so right...the dealers screamed bloody murder when this system was released. Surprising to me (and many others), dealers performed a ton of oil changes and that has been cut down considerably.

Good Link:
Blackstone's for oil analysis
Old 11-06-2005, 02:43 PM

BobPri is off the scale

Meant to include this important thread related to my question on first oil change at 3,000 miles or wait til system tells me to change it?
Thanks much.
--------------------------------------
Old 11-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS FOR THE INFO! I never knew this service existed. Either no one ever told me about it or I was too busy drooling over my new purchase and missed it, but I've signed up too. What've you got to loose, and the minutes tracking is great.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:41 PM

Kid Shyleen is off the scale

Sort of just used this.

Had a message on my DIC stating that my Stab Sys Traction had failed. I pushed the Blue Button and asked OnStar about the message. They performed a diagnostic and confirmed that the ABS/Traction control system had failed. I told them I would call my dealer and schedule an appointment. They said stand by, and connected me to service. I was able to schedule my appointment nearly instantly. Pretty cool service! Now if I can just get my Stab Sys back...