H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-30-2004, 04:05 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Off-roading only once a month, I decided on a TEMP install. Took me abt 5 minutes to put on/take off from my H2. Kudos to the many prior ideas in this forum.

The CB goes next to right leg. I used 99cents rubber tie-down (a length of thick rubber with s-hooks on each end), to loop around a metal pipe under dash & hooking to driver seat frame. The gap between rubber & console is perfect to hold my CB. I drilled 2 holes in the thick rubber & attached the CB mount (that came with the CB) using screws & bolts.

I enlarged screw hole of the Mic mount (came with CB) & thread through right dash bolt. The black electrical tape is to prevent scratching the dash (eventually to be replaced with those dip-plastic-in-a-can from Home Depot). Power cable run to the back seat power outlet (plug-in). Antenna cable run under mats, under rear seats, under spare tire, out rear hatch..
Attached Images

Hummer Authority

Off-roading only once a month, I decided on a TEMP install. Took me abt 5 minutes to put on/take off from my H2. Kudos to the many prior ideas in this forum.

The CB goes next to right leg. I used 99cents rubber tie-down (a length of thick rubber with s-hooks on each end), to loop around a metal pipe under dash & hooking to driver seat frame. The gap between rubber & console is perfect to hold my CB. I drilled 2 holes in the thick rubber & attached the CB mount (that came with the CB) using screws & bolts.

I enlarged screw hole of the Mic mount (came with CB) & thread through right dash bolt. The black electrical tape is to prevent scratching the dash (eventually to be replaced with those dip-plastic-in-a-can from Home Depot). Power cable run to the back seat power outlet (plug-in). Antenna cable run under mats, under rear seats, under spare tire, out rear hatch..
Hummer Authority

Old 04-30-2004, 04:24 AM
Hummer Authority

My antenna is long, magnet-mount & seems to get great reception. So I decided to mount on back bumper -- without drilling any holes.

I used a 4x4 post mount (a u-shaped metal), bending one leg backward about a third from top (creating a backward "hook"). The other leg I cut a large V-notch (from the existing center bolt hole), and fold abt half-way inward to "pin" bottom of my antenna.

The "hook" goes over the bottom rubber gasket (between rear lights & plastic bumper) quite securely. The black electrical tape is to prevent scratching body paint (to be replaced with...above). This provides a metallic base for my antenna's magnet mount. On long trips I further "secure" this metal base to bumper using "eartquake"-gel, which sticks very well, easily removed, and does not leave any residue on bumper.

To prevent antenna from whipping, I use a short stiff plastic line fished between holes on the plastic vent above rear lights -- and just threading antenna through the plastic line.

Everything goes on&off real FAST & EASY (Mic mount is not removed -- when it is all black, not noticable imo). Sorry, pic is after 3 days at Pismo -- covered in sand!
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Very low rent set up.
I agree with PhilD, doing the job properly would have been almost easier.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Hummer Authority

Obviously this install is for those who like me mostly drive it on-road, but enjoys occasional off-roads. Being complete newbie, I felt it rather pretentious to have off-road equipment as if I am an expert off-roader that does this all the time (like many of you guys).

The second reason has to do with aesthetics . In my area, I see maybe 10 Hummers a day, NEVER saw a single dirty one yet.. Plenty with brushguards just for show, and hardly any roof-racks. Never seen one with a CB antenna sticking on the top.

Phil, I've read your comments on the 2/3 above vehicle, but isn't the antenna (still) wide open on 3 sides? The truck body blocks only 1 side? Isn't the antenna 360degrees? Anyways, this $20 antenna seemed to allow me to listen to ALL CB traffics in the 2 runs I've been to (from the guys receiving the messages, the guys relaying it back n forth, and the original transmitter! ).

I'm glad SteveR convinced me to get the CB to listen to all the commentaries (I'm a tourist!), but the $50 CB & $20 antenna are too ugly to leave on my beautiful truck permanently!!
Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Hummer Authority

HEY!@#%* I didn't even say anything about your <span class="ev_code_RED">BRIGHT RED</span> Duck!!