H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Hugthis is off the scale

The following is an email I sent to Hummer. It should explain a lot.

"I have been to three different Hummer dealerships and each one has been a huge disappointment!

This has been the first time I've ever considered a Hummer and my experiences at your dealerships is leading me to feel it will be my LAST.

The first one was in Valencia, CA. I took the H3 for a test drive. The dealer was happy to answer my questions and we took it on a test drive. When I wanted to test it on the off road track, I couldn't. The dealer had parked several cars on it and couldn't take them off.

The next day I went to the dealership in Van Nuys, CA. I told the girl salesperson I wanted to really get a feel for how the H3 drove. I explained I'd like to drive it on the freeway, etc. Instead she restriced me to only driving around the block. When I repeated that I wanted to drive it for more than a few minutes, she told me how popular the H3 was and that everyone else was satisfied with a short test drive. I left the lot.

The same day I went to the Thousand Oaks, CA auto mall. I found an H3 on the lot that wasn't locked and proceeded to climb all over the car and under it. Anything that could be opened, I looked in it. After I was done, I looked around for a salesman. There was nobody. Eventually I went in to the show room where I found a salesman 'hanging out'. I told him I was interested in the H3 and he called over another salesman. I told him I was interested in driving the H3 on their track. I come to find out there track has a bunch of cars parked on that too.
When I told the salesman what I wanted to do, he proceeded to tell me how he had driven the H3 and what he did with it. I'm supposed to spend thrity five thousand dollars based on someone elses experience driving it?
It's a Hummer, right? It's got this reputation of being a good off road vichicle. I've been to three dealerships in two days and so far it's all talk, then I'm dismissed like I'm taking up their time.

Because I hadn't looked at them, I stopped by the Nissan dealership to look at their Xtera. The level of service from that salesman was amazing. Everything I wanted to try with that Xtera we did.

I was very excited about the H3. After being talked down to, and treated like some stupid kid who's impressed by a loud stero and shinny plastic, that excitment is a thing of the past. Is Hummer serious about selling an H3 or do you figure, I'm just one of many fish in the ocean?"

I guess Hummer feels it's the only game in town so they don't need to work to sell the H3. I don't need someone to suck up to me, but come on, how about a decent test drive?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Hugthis is off the scale

The following is an email I sent to Hummer. It should explain a lot.

"I have been to three different Hummer dealerships and each one has been a huge disappointment!

This has been the first time I've ever considered a Hummer and my experiences at your dealerships is leading me to feel it will be my LAST.

The first one was in Valencia, CA. I took the H3 for a test drive. The dealer was happy to answer my questions and we took it on a test drive. When I wanted to test it on the off road track, I couldn't. The dealer had parked several cars on it and couldn't take them off.

The next day I went to the dealership in Van Nuys, CA. I told the girl salesperson I wanted to really get a feel for how the H3 drove. I explained I'd like to drive it on the freeway, etc. Instead she restriced me to only driving around the block. When I repeated that I wanted to drive it for more than a few minutes, she told me how popular the H3 was and that everyone else was satisfied with a short test drive. I left the lot.

The same day I went to the Thousand Oaks, CA auto mall. I found an H3 on the lot that wasn't locked and proceeded to climb all over the car and under it. Anything that could be opened, I looked in it. After I was done, I looked around for a salesman. There was nobody. Eventually I went in to the show room where I found a salesman 'hanging out'. I told him I was interested in the H3 and he called over another salesman. I told him I was interested in driving the H3 on their track. I come to find out there track has a bunch of cars parked on that too.
When I told the salesman what I wanted to do, he proceeded to tell me how he had driven the H3 and what he did with it. I'm supposed to spend thrity five thousand dollars based on someone elses experience driving it?
It's a Hummer, right? It's got this reputation of being a good off road vichicle. I've been to three dealerships in two days and so far it's all talk, then I'm dismissed like I'm taking up their time.

Because I hadn't looked at them, I stopped by the Nissan dealership to look at their Xtera. The level of service from that salesman was amazing. Everything I wanted to try with that Xtera we did.

I was very excited about the H3. After being talked down to, and treated like some stupid kid who's impressed by a loud stero and shinny plastic, that excitment is a thing of the past. Is Hummer serious about selling an H3 or do you figure, I'm just one of many fish in the ocean?"

I guess Hummer feels it's the only game in town so they don't need to work to sell the H3. I don't need someone to suck up to me, but come on, how about a decent test drive?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hugthis, on the one hand, I symphatize with your experience. BUT, this is LA. LOTS & LOTS of qualified buyers for a hot-selling brand-new vehicle such as the H3. Dealers here really do NOT need to work as hard; and can afford to let a more "demanding" customer like you walk away. So, economically speaking, can't really blame them...
Old 07-10-2005, 03:18 AM

Hugthis is off the scale

If that's true, it's a sad statement about Hummer. What kind of customer service can be expected from a company like that?

It begs another question though. How many first time Hummer owners bought the H3 without even seeing what it can do off road?

Sure, there's going to be the soccer moms and dads who buy one for the looks and status, but that'll be only a few.
How many here took a serious look at the H3 before buying it?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Hummer Guru

bparker is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont generalize the entire company based on your area as they definetly do not treat you like that here in TX.

=)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hugthis:
If that's true, it's a sad statement about Hummer. What kind of customer service can be expected from a company like that?

It begs another question though. How many first time Hummer owners bought the H3 without even seeing what it can do off road?

Sure, there's going to be the soccer moms and dads who buy one for the looks and status, but that'll be only a few.
How many here took a serious look at the H3 before buying it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-10-2005, 10:12 AM

silverbrick is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by bparker:
Dont generalize the entire company based on your area as they definetly do not treat you like that here in TX.

Agree I got the VIP treatment at my Hummer dealer here in MD,...and I wasn't dressed in a suit for any of my visits.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the VIP treatment at Lynch Hummer in Chesterfield, Missouri. They let me drive their DEMO H3 while I was deciding whether I wanted the Adventure package, to my heart's content and the salesman was very low pressure while riding with me. We even slid under an H3 in the showroom and he showed me all the neat engineering underneath. I guess when you go to the world's largest Hummer dealer you get more! It was the most pleasant new car buying experience I've had in quite some time.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:13 PM

shipbldr is off the scale

Sorry to hear about your LA experience.

Anderson Hummer in MD treated me like royalty. Let me drive the trucks whenever and for as long as I wanted while I was trying to make up my mind.

They were attentive and answered lots of (what I now see as) stupid "newbie" questions.

After the sale they have continued to be great to me.

If you don;t like your local dealer... buy a $200 airplane ticket and go visit a dealer that wants your business. Lynch Hummer has a great reputation for fly-in buyers.

Sad fact of life if that selling cars is a hard business full of a lot of worn-down zero sum people.

Your expecations for service are reasonable. Stick to them and insist on rewarding a dealer who takes good care of you.

Service matters more than saving 5% of a vehicle.

Stick to your guns.

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 07-10-2005, 02:28 PM

hutz13 is off the scale

Did you get a email response from Hummer regarding your experiences? ... It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about the sales tactics at the 3 dealers.

I don't think there is any product in any market that can afford to P.O. prospective customers just because demand is huge.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by Hugthis:

QUOTE]

I think that will be totally opposite. Most of vehicle buyers buy it for the status.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:20 PM

Hugthis is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you get a email response from Hummer regarding your experiences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I haven't heard anything back from them, but it is the weekend. As a side note, I called the Valencia dealership yesterday on my way to see a buddy. He lives near them. I asked the salesman if they had cleared off their track. No... big suprise.

Man, I wish we had great dealers here like you guys have.

Seriously though, I'm close to giving up on getting one. Sure it'll be a great car, I think, since I haven't tested it out. But the time will come I have to take it in for service and I'll be dealing with the same rude, lazy, lying dealership I delt with before.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hugthis:

How many here took a serious look at the H3 before buying it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>See, I told you this is about economics. Outside LA, you prob won't have any problems as above testamonies show. This is NOT about Hummer in generality.

As far as service, you are actually lucky to be living in SoCal. In Cerritos Hummer service dpt, there exist a MASTER MECHANIC named Mike Sabarese -- considered by most to be the #1 expert when it comes to Hummers. He and his entire team has always extend top notch COMPETENT service to me, and I didn't even buy my H2 there. With them locally, you WON'T have any of those incompetent dealer warranty/repair service horror stories prevalent elsewhere.

As far as off-road prowess of the H3 -- this is exactly why this forum is so valuable, no? (Thanks Jason! )

At the end, when the H3 is no longer brand new and selling like hotcakes, I'm sure you'll get to test-drive it to your heart's content... even in LA
Old 07-10-2005, 11:05 PM

angelus is off the scale

That odd. I live in Sherman Oaks and have posted several times about the great service I received before and after the H3 actually came to there lots. I ordered mine, sight unseen if Reno, but I kept pestering the Sherman Oaks dealership. I asked every question under the sun and when they finally had one in house I checked it out both in and out and the dealers actually waited after hours so that I could test drive the demo they had. I have had experiences where dealers are kindof stand offish but to generalize about Hummer I think is unfair. True there are some a**holes but there are those who are willing to answer all your questions and do what it takes to have a happy customer.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Hugthis is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but to generalize about Hummer I think is unfair </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having had good experiences with Hummer, I understand where your coming from. And having a bad experience at one or two dealerships, even I would say don't rush to judgement, but, you'll have to admit, THREE dealerships? It would make anyone wonder.

On the plus side, the folks on this board are very nice and quick to help out. That makes owning an H3 all the more appealing.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:42 AM

H3mainer is off the scale

hey hugthis im sorrry to hear about yor bad experience. but i just wanted to echo almost everyone else. im on the east coast and cant say enough good thingd aobut my dealer and the whole order and test drive process. and even here there are going like hotcakes right now.
put it this way, my first visit i talked to the dealer for 5 minutes he threw me the keys and said see ya in a few hours. when i got back he had moved 3 H1's and asked if id like to try the track. so i hope you got a few bad apples and not a hummer problem. and hey maybe your email will put a flame under hummers ass to push for some changes in those areas. good luck in the future
Old 07-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

It begs another question though. How many first time Hummer owners bought the H3 without even seeing what it can do off road? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Most. Because they don't care. They'd rather ask about rim and tire size so they can replace them as soon as they get off the lot.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

when it's hot it's hot, want your ass kissed go to a dealer with drive to sell. they can't keep them in LA go west yourng man and see them for service. The service scores count more then sales os thier SFE
Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale

Hugthis...I understand your frustration...seriously I'm no off-roader or anything crazy...but when I was shopping for big rigs...what sold me was a dealer giving me and my buddy the keys to a demo H2 and just letting us take it on our own...we found some mud off the side of a road and drove it silly through the puddles and brush...returned it to the dealer a bit dirty...and sat down and talked price.

They didn't feel they had to negotiate at all because it was a 'HUMMER' so I walked...took me three weeks of intense searching & negotiating to get the deal I wanted...but eventually i found it...

if i were you and that was my experience...i would call a few other dealers...maybe outside of your area...and tell them you want to test drive it extensively...one may even let you take it for the night...then you can make up your own mind from there.

If they treat you like sh*t...walk...but don't give up on the brand/ride because humans suck.