PDA

View Full Version : Lube Locations (Service info needed)

TG
01-21-2003, 12:09 PM
It's time for my 1st oil change and I don't want to drive the 90 miles to my Hummer dealer for basic service, but I want to be sure that my Hummer is serviced properly. Is there any tech info available on where all the lube fittings are located? Is the oil filter a special type for the Hummer? Any other info that I need to know would be very helpful!

TG
01-21-2003, 12:09 PM
It's time for my 1st oil change and I don't want to drive the 90 miles to my Hummer dealer for basic service, but I want to be sure that my Hummer is serviced properly. Is there any tech info available on where all the lube fittings are located? Is the oil filter a special type for the Hummer? Any other info that I need to know would be very helpful!

Texas Red
01-21-2003, 03:21 PM
My dealer says you have to remove the front skid plate to get to all the lub points.

TG
01-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the diagram, PhilD! Do you know what type of oil filter is needed?
TG

JCJ
01-21-2003, 05:22 PM
PhilD,
Where did you get the service manual?
Is it hard copy or CD-ROM format?
It's "Out of stock" for months at Helminc.com

JCJ
01-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Many thanks PhilD!
Just bought a set of GM Service Manuals at Ebay at Ebay frm "qualityandprice" fo $ 39.50.
I knew I'd seen the local GM dealer use it, when looking up the part## of both tail gate struts, which become weak.

Hummerstein
01-24-2003, 01:35 AM
Be careful w/ taking your rig for an oil change. Due to the location of the filter and the skid plate I just returned from a Chev Dealer to find the dealer had not tightened my filter w/ oil pouring out all under my drivetrain. Took it to a Hummer dealer only to find they were having the same problem.

Jim
03' Pewter, LUX H-2
00' K3500 Crew Cab
69' Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser
71' 427 FJ-40 Land Cruiser
02' Nissan Maxima SE

h2fan
01-24-2003, 10:15 PM
pf44 i think thats the same as my corvette http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Hummie2
01-26-2003, 02:11 AM
Here are some pics of display at Houston Auto Show of H2 with body removed. You can see some of the lube points behind the skid plate.
All view are from top side of frame.

Pitman Arm on Steering Gear

[This message was edited by Hummie2 on January 25, 2003 at 08:21 PM.]

Hummie2
01-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Steering Idler Arm on rt. side frame rail

Hummie2
01-26-2003, 02:30 AM
Another lube point on Idler Arm.

As before looking down from top side of frame.

JJ
01-26-2003, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hummerstein:
Be careful w/ taking your rig for an oil change. Due to the location of the filter and the skid plate I just returned from a Chev Dealer to find the dealer had not tightened my filter w/ oil pouring out all under my drivetrain. Took it to a Hummer dealer only to find they were having the same problem.

I changed the oil myself at 3000 miles. Due to the filter location, you can't get a good hand grip on it to fully tighten it. I purchased one of those filter cap wrenches (socket) that you insert a socket driver into. The cap fits on the end of the filter and you tighten it with a socket driver, gently of course. Works great - Walmart price approx. $3.

Hummie2 - thanks for posting all the photos.

JJ

dochummer
03-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Lube points. Ok, so I am completely incompetent when it comes to this kind of stuff. I did just finish the oil change, which may not seem like much...but hey, it's a start. What exactly do I need in order to lube these areas under the truck, and it's 18 points right? And do you just pump oil into it until it's completely full or what?

LasVegas
03-20-2005, 01:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummie2:
Another lube point on Idler Arm.

As before looking down from top side of frame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've been having my rig lubed at oil change (not dealer) and have been curious on whether they knew fitting locations. I now have my own pneumatic grease gun and got under my rig & checked. They got the obvious ones, but not the secret ones. The Idler Arm zerk with the bulleting to replace with a 90 degree fitting was interesting. I removed and replaced it. The fitting I took out was a FALSE fitting i.e. completely closed! Don't understand that at all. Any ideas why GM would do that? And oh, your picture without all the other components installed makes it look easy to get to that zerk. It ain't! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

KenP
03-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Gosh, I saw the title of this thread and thought "her backside with KY, Duh..." Sheez, what do I know? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LasVegas
03-20-2005, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
Gosh, I saw the title of this thread and thought "her backside with KY, Duh..." Sheez, what do I know? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ken, Ken, Ken, have a Coor's Light http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

DRTYFN
07-24-2005, 03:28 AM
BTT

Ashley
02-27-2006, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just returned from a Chev Dealer to find the dealer had not tightened my filter w/ oil pouring out all under my drivetrain </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Odd this, service manual says the Oil Filter should tightened to 30Nm (that sounds like alot).

That adapter nut the oil filter fits to should be 55Nm as well but i would think that shouldnt come off.

finall
02-11-2008, 05:48 AM
So, can anyone tell us how many fittings there actually are?

I have an 06 H2, and I can only find 10.

People say it is between 10-16 on this forum. Where are they?

Does anyone have a diagram? Help!