PDA

View Full Version : Definitive answers on replacing the stereo and Steering Wheel Controls

Michael James
01-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Just got my black H2 3 days ago.
Looking to replace the Bose speakers and head unit (frankly, very disappointed in sound quality of the LUX edition).

1) What are you doing with the existing headunit/stereo? Are you keeping it but dropping in behind the console? (need to know location it ended up in). or did you remove it completely? Some have indicated you must keep it in the car, but "hide it". What remains hooked up?

2) When you replace the stereo, what overall functions do you loose? (door chimes, onstar, etc..) be specific if you could.

3) What aftermarket interfaces are you using with the new headunit to allow steering wheel controls? For example, if you went with the Alpine, are you using Peripherals brands of PESWIX, PESWIV? (these are IR based read/send units) or what are you using??? (by the way, read the article from Blitzsafe, saying they are NOT going to release an interface due to issues regarding the airbags and OnStar). Overall, heard a lot of people saying they were getting it done, but no followup posts regarding whether it worked or not.

Steering Wheel Controls includehttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gifwhich do you loose right away and what interface brings it back)

(left side)
a)On-star
b)Prog
c)Source Up/Down
d) Trip Info
e) Fuel Information

(right side)
f)Seek
g)Volume
h)Personilization
i) Select

Michael James
01-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Just got my black H2 3 days ago.
Looking to replace the Bose speakers and head unit (frankly, very disappointed in sound quality of the LUX edition).

1) What are you doing with the existing headunit/stereo? Are you keeping it but dropping in behind the console? (need to know location it ended up in). or did you remove it completely? Some have indicated you must keep it in the car, but "hide it". What remains hooked up?

2) When you replace the stereo, what overall functions do you loose? (door chimes, onstar, etc..) be specific if you could.

3) What aftermarket interfaces are you using with the new headunit to allow steering wheel controls? For example, if you went with the Alpine, are you using Peripherals brands of PESWIX, PESWIV? (these are IR based read/send units) or what are you using??? (by the way, read the article from Blitzsafe, saying they are NOT going to release an interface due to issues regarding the airbags and OnStar). Overall, heard a lot of people saying they were getting it done, but no followup posts regarding whether it worked or not.

Steering Wheel Controls includehttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gifwhich do you loose right away and what interface brings it back)

(left side)
a)On-star
b)Prog
c)Source Up/Down
d) Trip Info
e) Fuel Information

(right side)
f)Seek
g)Volume
h)Personilization
i) Select

Texas Red
01-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Boy, ignorance (on my part) is bliss. I'm happy with the sound system. I guess I just don't know what good sound is, huh.

TonkaH2
01-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Good job, Phil. I'm in the same mind as you, and am trying to decide how to best fit it all in now. I have grown to love my 2 Kicker 12" L5's in a sealed box, and I'm looking for a place to glass them in -probably replace the wheelwell covers, if it'll work. Keep us updated and send pics!