PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Protection - My new skid plate

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:42 PM
As all of you know, our T-case protection is good for a bird bath (when flipped upside down) http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I seen our fellow H2 member construct a beefy skid plate out of some scrap U-bolts and metal and it sounded like a great idea. I went into my garage and gathered up the goods. This is how it went.....

The truck is in the garage waiting for a bath and some armor....

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:42 PM
As all of you know, our T-case protection is good for a bird bath (when flipped upside down) http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I seen our fellow H2 member construct a beefy skid plate out of some scrap U-bolts and metal and it sounded like a great idea. I went into my garage and gathered up the goods. This is how it went.....

The truck is in the garage waiting for a bath and some armor....

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:44 PM
This is the first piece of steel. It is 3/16" plate.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:46 PM
With a little help from the Miller plasma cutter, this piece gets cut to 9" X 21"

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:51 PM
This is the first piece welded on the plate. It is about 3" X 9". This will help space the new skid plate another 3/16" away from the t-case when bolted on.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:54 PM
This is the top section of the piece that was just welded. The top plate is cut out for the OEM bolts. With the 3/16" drop, these are able to be counter-sunk so they will not get hung up.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:57 PM
This is the bottom again. The second spacer plate is welded for the rear. This second plate will eventually rest against the torsion cross member.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 04:59 PM
This is the t-case side of the new skid plate. I also welded 1/2" X 1/2" square stock down the long sides for even more support.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Since I was so bored, I had to get a little creative. This H2 cutout is for all the rocks and things you may run over. Now....if they miss the H2 stamped on the front skid plate, they will be reminded, very shortly, that they have been just ran over by an H2. You can also see the rear counter-sink holes.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Its got some paint now... On each end of the new skid, I heated it up (red hot) with a torch and bent the ends. This gives the new skid plate a rise on each end so it tucks up towards the floor of the truck. Now the ends will not be able to get hung up.

H2mike
01-17-2004, 05:13 PM
This is the top view of the skid plate. It is still glossy because its wet! Its actually flat black primer. Now the explination on the mounting. You can notice the 3 holes with a notch on one end. This is the OEM bolt pattern for the front. The notch in the plate is to clear the other OEM cage under the motor. I only used 2 bolts for the rear. I drilled these 2 holes through the front side of the torsion bar cross member. The holes are drilled in the part of this cross memeber where it makes a small "U" shape at the bottom of the steel. The rest of the skid plate extends to the back part of the torsion bar x-member, to cover it up.

I will get some pics of this new plate installed so you can see the complete product. Hope you enjoy!

Mike - Station 38 Fire Chief -
'03 Sunset, Lux, Sunroof, Air Suspension, HID's, eXtreme Tubes w/ 4 PIAA's, Warn 9.5ti winch, SMA HD Brush Gaurd w/ 2 PIAA 525's, SMA Valance w/ PIAA 520's, Stainless HUMMER Inserts, Gibson SS Headers, Corsa SS Sport exhaust, Husky Liners, 12 Hide Away Strobes, Whelen Dash Dual Strobe, 2 Whelen LED bars, Remote Mount Motorola Low Band, Sho-Me/Whelen Siren, XM Radio

DennisAJC
01-17-2004, 06:02 PM
You've just created a weak point plasma cutting that logo. Excellent idea though.

" S & B Member Since 2003 "

DRTYFN
01-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Somebody likes to weld. Instead of adding all of the extra plate for spacing why didn't you use a press to give it a slight bend to accomodate the t-case?

Just wait until a rock scrapes across that thing and lodges in that cut-out logo. I'm curious who you think will be impressed by the logo way under there?
Don't take this wrong, I'm not bashing you at all.

S&B Member since '03

H2mike
01-17-2004, 07:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DRTYFN:
Somebody likes to weld. Instead of adding all of the extra plate for spacing why didn't you use a press to give it a slight bend to accomodate the t-case?

Just wait until a rock scrapes across that thing and lodges in that cut-out logo. I'm curious who you think will be impressed by the logo way under there?
Don't take this wrong, I'm not bashing you at all.

S&B Member since '03<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, a press would have beeen nice, but I do not have a press. It only took a little time to add the plates.

As for a rock getting caught....If that rock doesnt get caught up in the cage in front first, then maybe it will grind against the edges of the logo. If it makes it past that, it will get caught in the deep notch of the torsion bar cross member. Either way, I am not worried and/or concerned if it gets beat up, bent, or messed up in any way. There are not too many trails that I go on that have real "sharp and pointy" rocks sticking up down the center of the trail. If I ever decide to cover it up...1/16" plate welded over it....or what the hell...I can build a new one in a couple hours.

Did you tell N2ITNSD about his t-case protector? He may need to be warned of the "rock getting caught in your t-case protector". Check out the pic I have attached. Here is his well-built t-case protector (a fine job). As you will see he has the same problem...right? You will also notice the MANY OEM holes and crevasses throughout the bottom of the truck. There MANY places for a rock to get lodged into. Count how many are in this pic alone. Take a look when you get a chance.

Who will see this....mostly just me...and it makes me smile http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Also, the dealer will see it when doing warranty repair...they may smile too. And it impresses me...thats all it needs to. Maybe it impress someone else out there in H2 land...

As far as a weak point with the H2 cut out....I can jack the truck up on that plate. Anything is stronger than the OEM free-hanging tin.

Wow....I thought I would get a positive reply.

Buckeye Hummer
01-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Mike,

DRTY's reply is positive, just constructive questioning. You did a great job! Beef up the bottom of an H2 and you can go anywhere!

Even my H1's belly had some aluminum in there that now resides at a scrap bin I hope. Steel is the only way to go. I hit a rock so hard this week on my steel rockers that half the crap in my truck went flying in to the windshield. That's fun stuff!

frank6150
01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I like it and I want one! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Excellent work you did there with the welding and cutting. I probably would have found a way to sever a limb playing with those big boy toys you were using.

S&B Member since '03

Cranky Steve
01-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Nice work, gota love Plasma! I love mine!

BS Member since '04

Founding Member of RCRC 4wd Club Scaramento, CA www.rcrc4x4.com (http://www.rcrc4x4.com)
Pirate4x4.com Vendor & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator

RIC-H0
01-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Excellent job on your design!
You are either single or divorced, or have a really cool wife, for her to let you spend that much time on your Hummer.

I was outbid for the purchase of a plasma cutter from my workplace. I'm dying to get myself one, it is so much easier to use one, than it is to cut it by hand>

Well Done!

Ric-H2

H2mike
01-18-2004, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RIC-H2:
Excellent job on your design!
You are either single or divorced, or have a really cool wife, for her to let you spend that much time on your Hummer.

Ric-H2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ric. Actually I have a really cool girlfriend. She just puts up with me http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As for the plasma, you NEED one. My Miller is good to cut up to 5/8" and requires air. I think I paid about $1100-1200 for it.

Cranky Steve
01-18-2004, 04:10 PM
What Model? I have an older Cutmate 300 I picked up for $500, 3/8"s clean, 1/2" to 5/8"s sever. It also needs air as well. I set up a Motorguard M-60 Air Filter for it to insure a clean dry supply of air.

BS Member since '04

Founding Member of RCRC 4wd Club Scaramento, CA www.rcrc4x4.com (http://www.rcrc4x4.com)
Pirate4x4.com Vendor & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator

unaslob
01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
very nice clean job.... how heavy was thing thing??? i wish i knew how to do that kind of stuff..

unaslob

Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad 'tip'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX CB, Dual 4' Firestik fiberglass whips, front tinted windows, 7" Homer Simpson decal (teehee)!

alecs wife
01-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Can you make me one??
R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2

RIC-H0
01-19-2004, 02:53 AM
I got out bid on the Plasma Cutter from work. I lost it over a bid of $350.
I've got about 15 sheets of stainless steel that I want to cut up to make myself some awesome looking undercarriage protection.
I will get me a plasma cutter, and then I will be posting some picts soon.

Ric-H2