PDA

View Full Version : Tire/wheel debate that could use some input

tomp
11-30-2005, 01:39 AM
I am contemplating either 22" w/37s or 20" w/35s. I like the look more of the 22s w/37s. However, the 35s probably will not rub and will keep gearing lower (stock) for better towing etc.

I have the Hypertech Power Programmer, so I am not concerned with the speedo or tranny shifting etc. The 37s will slightly alter my towing capability though because of the taller gearing.

So, with the two negatives in mind, which is the better choice?

My style of off-roading does not include many large rocks, but I will be using off road tires for Mud. I hardly ever take the time to deflate tires etc., but do face a lot of mud on weekends. Hopefully this will give some inclination of my off road use.

tomp
11-30-2005, 01:39 AM
I am contemplating either 22" w/37s or 20" w/35s. I like the look more of the 22s w/37s. However, the 35s probably will not rub and will keep gearing lower (stock) for better towing etc.

I have the Hypertech Power Programmer, so I am not concerned with the speedo or tranny shifting etc. The 37s will slightly alter my towing capability though because of the taller gearing.

So, with the two negatives in mind, which is the better choice?

My style of off-roading does not include many large rocks, but I will be using off road tires for Mud. I hardly ever take the time to deflate tires etc., but do face a lot of mud on weekends. Hopefully this will give some inclination of my off road use.

DRTYFN
11-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Why ruin your vehicle by going with a 22" wheel? You'll have NO sidewall, thus no practical flex for off-roading.

DRTYFN
11-30-2005, 01:50 AM
But he'll look good on the street.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

tomp
11-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Spinners are out of the question...LOL

Just trying to find something that looks good and still functions in the mud. Maybe I should consider 18s?

I just got this H2 a few months back and have previously owned trucks. I had 16s with 285 BFG Mud Terrains on my 2500HD and these worked great for what I needed.

timgco
11-30-2005, 02:14 AM
18's with 35's would be the better choice IMO. You'll have more rim/ tire options as well. You'll save on the price for rims and tires by staying away from the 22's. If you are going to off road and in mud, I wouldn't even do the 20's.

Boss Hoss
11-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Im by no means have the time under my belt like the guys that posted before me(and their moab picture impress the hell out of me) but for what you are looking at doing i think youd be fine with a 20in rim. In the looks department there is no comparison between and 18 and 20imo. Im sure if you were hardcoring it you woudl want to drop to 18's but they look silly to me--in this case just leave on the stockers and upgrade your tires.

KenP
11-30-2005, 04:51 AM
No matter what you choose, an alignment is imperative. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

DRTYFN
11-30-2005, 05:09 AM
You'll buy 17" or MAYBE 18" Toyo MTs.

VTSTOMPER
11-30-2005, 11:59 AM
I am going to be running 20's with 35's. I will also be keeping my stock set-up for the really good offroad days.