PDA

View Full Version : air suspension- necesary?

MJG NJ
11-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting the air susp? Will the regular one sag if heavily loaded? The slight offroad advantages of the air susp do not really interest me.... but if I have some bikes on the back and a full load, I do not want to be driving pointing "up"

Thanks.... Mike

MJG NJ
11-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting the air susp? Will the regular one sag if heavily loaded? The slight offroad advantages of the air susp do not really interest me.... but if I have some bikes on the back and a full load, I do not want to be driving pointing "up"

Thanks.... Mike

Hummer Man
11-17-2002, 02:47 PM
The Air Suspension will not benefit someone who is only putting on a couple of bikes, 300lbs of cargo and no offroad use. It was designed for Heavy off road use, Trailer towing and Heavy Payloads 1000Lbs. or more. I went ahead and got the Air Suspension anyway because once your up in that 55K plus range whats another $1500.00. It will help with resale when I trade it in or sell it used down the road.

Old Mother Hummer !

MAC
11-17-2002, 06:11 PM
I didn't care much if I have air suspension or not, but it came with it. For 7 weeks every drive and couple mild off-roads, I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. However, it seems air susp. is quite important to many other H2 owners, as such, $1000 air susp. could be just a bit valuable at resale time, but maybe just a couple hundred $ worth, if that much.
At resale, buyers look at price first, equipments later, generally higher priced same year used car get less interest and inquiries, regardless what fancy stuffs inside.

Hummie2
11-17-2002, 06:22 PM
I opted not to get the air suspension. True it does have some advantages, but I felt over a period of time it would requie more mqintenance than a coil spring( you can't hardly mess up a coil spring). I talked to a service manager at a local dealership and was told that he already has a H2 in the shop where the leveling valve had failed, resulting in a overinflated suspension which ruptured the suspension bladders. I was not real impressed with the location of the leveling vave either. The valve is mounted in the rear wheel well and will catch a lot of road spray, stones, etc. that the tire throws at it.

Don

Texas Red
11-17-2002, 07:27 PM
I got the air suspension/on-board compressor system just so I could hear it hiss like a Tractor Trailer rig with air breaks when I turn off the engine. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

MAC
11-18-2002, 02:16 AM
It is a lot cheaper to do it yourself with lots of beans, you don't even have to turn off the engine, and you can go anywhere and hear it anywhere whenever.

Hummie2
11-18-2002, 01:19 PM
MAC...

and the smell will be right up there with diesel exhaust.

Don /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by Hummie2 on November 18, 2002 at 07:28 AM.]

HummerGirl
11-18-2002, 02:39 PM
So when do you press the little button that says tow/haul. Do you press it before you add on the weight or after you have your load. Curious as we will start boating season this spring and have never had this option on a vehicle before.

Cannot wait to use it. Saw an excursion pulling a large load with it's nose in the air and sighed to myself that I won't have to look like that going down the road.

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com

Big Red 1
11-18-2002, 05:12 PM
I understand that the tow/haul button only keeps the transmission from shifting in and out of overdrive, when towing.

Dan
11-18-2002, 06:40 PM
The air suspension is on my necessity list, mostly because its available /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

- Dan

Big Z
11-18-2002, 09:17 PM
You pretty much use this mode when towing or hauling. It does change the shift points and throttle programing. I found it very usefull when climbing the curvy hills, (better pedel response & shifting). /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

HummerGirl
11-18-2002, 09:19 PM
oh I am gonna be pissed bc this SUV is supposed to have the Air suspension on it. We ordered it with the kit and my husband sent me to pick it up and no one went over what we got.

there were 5 people picking theirs up that day. We did not want the air compressor I remember that bc we have one here at the house that is portable.

Oh this is great.

~amy

Big Z
11-18-2002, 10:02 PM
If you want the air suspenion to work, you need the Air compressor. When loading down or pulling a trailer, boat, or whatever, the system will compensate-self level-adjust the ride height of the H2. There is also an air jack for filling your tires if you carry the hose, and a button to raise and lower the rear.
Didn't mean to confuse with the tow/haul, as they are not allways used together.

MAC
11-18-2002, 11:11 PM
I don't quite understand what Amy's talking about here. If your H2 is equipped with air suspension option, it comes with the compressor, hose and etc. I don't think you have a choice to NOT want it. Amy, What "kit" are you talking about?

HummerGirl
11-19-2002, 01:01 AM
See I am about to get really really mad now. The one we ordered was supposed to have the air suspension kit on it.

I just went over my order papers tonight...it was definitely an option for us. Uh...I heard some folks weren't getting it even though they placed an order.

I also emailed the dealership about it as well. I had the little one with me who was not co-operating with me on the day I took delivery so we were hurried and so was our salesman bc there were so many of us ready to pick up that same day. We remember telling the guy to order it so I know he did not goof up on the order. Honestly I never paid any attention to the back of the truck cause I have not put much in the back yet. So I did not notice that the air suspension buttons were missing. I thought the tow haul button was what we used to level out.

What to do now? Damn I am so pissed.

~amy

Texas Red
11-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Amy,
If you have the air suspension/compressor option, it should be listed on the widow sticker that came with your rig. Also, you will have the button up front to raise the back end and a little air hose attachment below the 12V plug right inside the rear hatch.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

HummerGirl
11-19-2002, 01:59 AM
You know what...I remember that now as we were looking at the demo H2.

Gonna go and dig in my sticker...well it never made it to the glass as it was never on the lot for sale.

But there was one in the glove compartment with my paperwork. Gonna go and check now.

How much difference will it matter that we don't have it. We will be hauling around one ton of clay in my hummer at a time and pulling/releasing our boat in the ocean and lake. The boat we want is around 22-23 feet but my husband would love to have a 50' and that is a good chance we get one like that.

Will we be okay with what we got? I am thinking we will but just curious.

~amy

Gary
11-19-2002, 02:57 AM
I love my H2's air suspension. When parked at a stoplight it loves pass gas. I just chuckle with my girlfriend and say "This HUMMER likes to Pass Gas" During the summer, I noticed people with their windows down glance at my H2 wondering what just a happened. Between the Whelen Air Horn & PA and the H2 air suspension, my H2 is full of sound effects that bring a smile to my face and others. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Respectfully yours,

Gary
Finlayson, MN

TJ
11-23-2002, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummie2:
I talked to a service manager at a local dealership and was told that he already has a H2 in the shop where the leveling valve had failed, resulting in a overinflated suspension which ruptured the suspension bladders. I was not real impressed with the location of the leveling vave either. The valve is mounted in the rear wheel well and will catch a lot of road spray, stones, etc. that the tire throws at it.

Don<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like this is exactly what might have happened with my H2 - it would sure explain that big puddle of fluid we found underneath it (leak appears to be coming from the rear tire area).

Hummie2
11-24-2002, 04:42 AM
TJ...

I don't have any shop manuals yet ( they are still on order from Helm Publishing ) but I don't think the air suspension should have any fluids. It kind of looks like it might be a electric over pneumatic control ( don't know for sure ). The fluid you see could be a bad shock, leaking axle seal or something else serious. By all means get in ASAP to service dept. for them to check.

Don

TJ
11-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Thanks Don,

I am relatively clueless when it comes to the technical aspects of my H2. All I know is that I love my H2, I love driving it, and when it comes to problems, well....I guess that I'll just have to let GM/Hummer help out on that part of it.

My H2 is in the shop (once again) as we speak - had to get it towed in this time because, along with the big fluid leak underneath, the brake warning light started flashing. The fluid looked like maybe hydraulic fluid, so the brakes may be a totally separate/unrelated problem? We told them the last time it was in that the brakes were pulling to the right, but they didn't fix anything because they said that they 'couldn't reproduce the problem'. Anyway, I haven't heard anything back on it yet but didn't really expect to since it's a weekend and the service dept is only open M-F). Hopefully I'll hear something from them early this next week--I really miss my H2 when it's away from home like this...

This is the third time now that we've had my H2 in for repairs and I've only had it a little over two months, not quite 5000 miles and not even any "serious" offroading yet (we were planning a trip for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend, but I guess that'll all depend on how long they have to keep my H2 now). Both the dealer and Hummer have tried to be really helpful, but going on the third time now, it's starting to get a little old...it seems like "Not again!?!" is becoming a permanent part of my vocabulary these days.

Hummie2
11-25-2002, 02:09 AM
Well now we know what the fluid is. Its brake fluid!

Don

Steve R
11-25-2002, 02:51 AM
Hey Humm-budz,

Seems like there's a bit of confusion about the air suspension/compressor situation on our badd-ass rigs. In order to prevent an overly long post, I'll try to just smack-down on issues machine-gun style:

The air suspension is basically the same thing Chevy/GMC offers as their "Auto-Ride" feature. In this capacity it offers us a 'smoother and nicer' ride then conventional shocks. They claim you can feel the difference in ride.

They (GM) also modified this system with a handy little button that, when pushed, allows the rear-end to be jacked up to its fullest extension. This feature adds additional clearance to our H2's. It's very handy and even today made the difference for me in getting over a big obstacle while offroading. Not only good for offroading, you can also jack-up the rear for goofing-off (it puts the butt in the air like a dragster?) For safety reasons, this lift feature de-activate at speeds over 20mph.

The hissing and discharge is VERY cool and well worth the coin alone. Definite cool-points!

Because the air-suspension uses air, there is an air compressor involved. Someone at GM had the insight to make the air pressure from this system available for use for inflating tires and other such things. The Enoy/Trailblazer have this too. This feature is just a side-benefit of having an existing air compressor onboard.

The air-suspension will automatically adjust to keep the back level. The manual indicates that when towing heavy loads, the rear-lift button feature SHOULD NOT BE USED. You only lift the rear for offroading or showing-off.

As for the tow/haul mode, it merely adjusts the shifting pattern of the tranny. That's all. When towing heavy loads, it is advantageous to allow the engine to rev a bit higher before shifting, this helps the engine not work so hard.

The air-suspension package comes standard with the ADVENTURE package, otherwise it can be ordered seperately. I particularly advise bachelors to opt for this feature; that way they can re-inflate their dates should they spring a leak! (Low-blow...but ya gotta admit its funny). /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MAC
11-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Steve, My adventure Hummer has air suspension, but I did not find the inflatable date in the back. Is this included in the Adventure package? or is it an additional option? Will aftermarket inflatable date work with Hummer? I was wondering what the tube and air compressor are for? now it all makes sense. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RiotDvls
02-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know if you can retrofit a NON-Airide H2 with the factory airride equipment?

GeorgeSSSS
02-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Steve:

Thanks for stepping in and explaining it all. It definitely helps me.

George

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-12-2005, 11:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RiotDvls:
Does anyone know if you can retrofit a NON-Airide H2 with the factory airride equipment? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can....all the parts bolt right up. I know this because I wanted the air and the dealership didn't have one i wanted w/air....Fortunalty, my sales lady found a perfect unit with air...Danm I luv her!

RiotDvls
02-13-2005, 12:05 PM
H-Town....do you know of any sites that list the parts needed and any installation help?

Kevin B
02-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Youch, thats going to be expensive. Post back with the prices you are quoted.

NJ H2
11-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Remembered this post. Found this on ebay

AIR SUSP. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2005-H2-Hummer-Rear-Air-Suspension-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42609QQitemZ8014748 891QQrdZ1)

Plus I need to get my posts up to a "G" http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bondage
11-17-2005, 02:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerGirl:
You know what...I remember that now as we were looking at the demo H2.

Gonna go and dig in my sticker...well it never made it to the glass as it was never on the lot for sale.

But there was one in the glove compartment with my paperwork. Gonna go and check now.

How much difference will it matter that we don't have it. We will be hauling around one ton of clay in my hummer at a time and pulling/releasing our boat in the ocean and lake. The boat we want is around 22-23 feet but my husband would love to have a 50' and that is a good chance we get one like that.

Will we be okay with what we got? I am thinking we will but just curious.

~amy

http://www.CelestialBath.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For serious towing, the air-suspension is really valuable. I hate going down the road with a tow and feeling light steering and knowing my front end is up in the air. The air suspension solves this and, if you are going to tow, you should (IMHO) have it. If you ordered it and can prove that, maybe there is some recourse with the dealer.

The tow/haul button has nothing to do with the air-susp. Once your load is hitched, press that before driving off to keep the transmission from hunting for the right gear so often. It's a great feature.

Good luck!

Sean

Boss Hoss
11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know why the air suspension makes noise (the hissing everyone is talking about) when you are just going about your every day driving(no towing or heavy loads to adjust to, no offroading etc.)???????

tomp
11-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Can anyone confirm that the above Ebay auction air kit has everything required?

Bondage
11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomp:
Can anyone confirm that the above Ebay auction air kit has everything required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. Except they failed to mention that you need alignment after installing it http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Sean

tomp
11-18-2005, 01:38 AM
Thx Alec. Do the sensors cost much? Can you tell if the wiring/connectors for them is in the photo or would this be part of the OEM wiring even if I don't already have the air installed?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomp:
Can anyone confirm that the above Ebay auction air kit has everything required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll be helpful, I don't see the pasenger or driver side sensors in that picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DRTYFN
11-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Yes. Except they failed to mention that you need alignment after installing it http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did someone say TIPS?

KenP
11-18-2005, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Does anyone know why the air suspension makes noise (the hissing everyone is talking about) when you are just going about your every day driving(no towing or heavy loads to adjust to, no offroading etc.)??????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If the rearend is lower than the rear the truck will try to "auto-level" itself. The hissing is the release of air.

KenP
11-18-2005, 05:18 PM

2). I just busted a sensor in Moab and it cost me about $100 (excluding shipping) from GMPartsGuy (PM Dave he is a good guy). Retail is something like $140. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dude, I offered you a ziptie! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif