PDA

View Full Version : Help...Best Backup Camera

chriscamco
12-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Which backup camera do you guys think is the best for the H2...new to this site. Hello everyone!

Thanks,

chriscamco
Which backup camera do you guys think is the best for the H2...new to this site. Hello everyone!

Thanks,

chriscamco

Thanks,

H2Finally
12-01-2004, 04:51 AM
Chris, welcome. First thing to do is use FIND button on top -- lots of options have been discussed. But here's a summary:

If you don't have a rear tire carrier, the H-Cam is probably the best looking one (it replaces the middle top marker light).

The H-Cam won't work well / blocked with a rear tire carrier. So you have to go to a hitch mount, or drill a hole into the rear bumper, and install any flush-mount bumper rear cameras.

Remember to look for at least 100 degrees wide-angle view. One that sees in very low light is also more useful.

JMV1210
12-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Hey Chris,
First of all welcome to the site-

I just bought a back-up camera last week. I bought a CCD INFRARED KEYHOLE WIDE ANGLE REAR VIEW BACKUP CAMERA with 100 DEGREE VIEW ANGLE and NIGHT IR LEDS with the REVERSE IMAGE.

I just had the unit installed this past Monday. I am very pleased with the camera. It offers a clear and bright picture at night. Make sure to have it wired to the reverse wire. Below is the link of the camera I bought on Ebay. I found cheaper ones on Ebay, but the don’t offer the same lines of resolution plus they don’t have CCD technology.

The H-Cam works well, but if you have a rear tire carrier that may be of concern. From what I understand the tire blocks some of the view.

The camera I bought is threaded all the way up to the lens and comes with a straight and angle mount. It can also be installed in a keyhole hence its name, but that’s a mute point with the H-2. As stated above, I have the rear tire mount, so what I did is had the camera installed (standing behind the hummer) in the passenger side bumper in that square indent. Installed at an angle shooting toward the driver side. To my surprise, I found with the 100 degree view I had a great view. I can actually see the shoulder of the road off the passenger side.

I will try to post pics when I can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4505372923&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Chris I agree with JMV1210. I have been emailing with the same ebay seller on his camera's and monitors and I'm not real experienced but have friends who are and this guy knows his stuff. His ebay rating is excellent. He is working on putting a package together with cam, mon. for driver, and flipdown with DVD. I hope they make a flipdown that will work with moonroof. I heard there was all though i have not searched on our site yet. I'm going to do that this weekend and the ebay guy is reseaching also. He does not want to assume anything will work with MR until he has been told by dist. He has been very pleasant to deal with so far and very patirnt as i have asked many questions. Definetly go to link the ebay link left and go from there.
Rick

Black 05
12-04-2004, 01:30 PM
What is the best camera and adaptor to hook up to a factory navigation system?

JMV1210
12-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Here are some pics of the camera and display.

JMV1210
12-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Clsoe up

JMV1210
12-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Another

JMV1210
12-04-2004, 06:22 PM
I hope this shows the angle, shooting across to the driver side. (slight angle)

JMV1210
12-04-2004, 06:25 PM
As you see below do to the 100 degree camera, I can still see the curb on the passenger side. This really came out nice, even with the rear tire on the back-

frank6150
12-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey JMV how did you manage to mount your screen up there? I'm looking to do the same with mine but I haven't even started to attempt it yet.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
12-04-2004, 08:41 PM
JMV is that a monitor that you got from the ebay guy? I am also curious about how you hung monitor. Do You have powered Moonroof? I was thinking of samething if moonroof would allow it. The camera I'm getting is a little larger I think as it is not a key hole. It has brackets that will let me mount camera on upper or bottom lip of door trim around rear window on inside out of weather. The camera is basicly same as yours with CCD and IR.
Hope mine works as good as yours.
Rick

chriscamco
12-05-2004, 03:35 PM
First off thanks for the great responce for my question. I do have a moonroof but don't have a outside tire carrier.

Where do I find info about the H-cam also I would like to have my nav screen work with it instead of another monitor.

thanks,

NJ H2
12-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Here is a place that seems to have one of the better prices for the H CAM I have seen:
H CAM (http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Video-HitchCAM-HCH2_1.htm)