PDA

View Full Version : Other Antenna Options

LasVegas
01-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I didn't want the hassle of getting behind the headliner & I have the sunroof so no room. I used the Terk XMicro XM antenna. You have to modify the plastic connector on the tuner. Just shave off one spline with a razor knife. Easy. I started to install the NAV antenna exactly as in Klaus' great pdf then decided I wanted it moved as far forward as possible (reason it's cut strange). It mounts up easy and I added double stick tape also. The XMicro comes with 20' of wire. Just tie wrap up the extra to the defroster duct. Here's the final installation. You can see how small the Xmicro is. Most of us have dash covers here in Vegas because of the sun but it works equally well without it. Just use some double stick tape or velcro directly to the dash. Reception so far has been great for both XM & Nav. Thanks to Klaus & others for their previous experience/installs. Other pics to follow

LasVegas
I didn't want the hassle of getting behind the headliner & I have the sunroof so no room. I used the Terk XMicro XM antenna. You have to modify the plastic connector on the tuner. Just shave off one spline with a razor knife. Easy. I started to install the NAV antenna exactly as in Klaus' great pdf then decided I wanted it moved as far forward as possible (reason it's cut strange). It mounts up easy and I added double stick tape also. The XMicro comes with 20' of wire. Just tie wrap up the extra to the defroster duct. Here's the final installation. You can see how small the Xmicro is. Most of us have dash covers here in Vegas because of the sun but it works equally well without it. Just use some double stick tape or velcro directly to the dash. Reception so far has been great for both XM & Nav. Thanks to Klaus & others for their previous experience/installs. Other pics to follow

LasVegas

LasVegas
01-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Other pics. And not one speck of rust behind the dash. Another benefit to living in Vegas!

ATSI
01-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I did the same install with the same antenna and used the exact position for the antenna, works pretty good, but it cuts out sometimes because the antenna is not on the roof, I have been using it for about 2 months now. It works well about 95% of the time.

Jeff
05 Desert Tan SUT

KenP
01-02-2005, 05:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Posted by LasVegas:
Another benefit to living in Vegas! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, but that is some serious mold on your dash. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Great install.

JMV1210
01-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Has anyone just cut the factory radio antenna and just take the little ball off and crazy glued it on, to make it shorter?

NU2H2
01-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I went to my dealer and they swapped it out for a shorter one they are now carrying. I guess this is due to the high number of complaints of the antenna hitting the top of garages when going in and out. It is now about as high at the top of the windshield. No loss of reception as of yet.
Jonathan

J.T.H2
01-08-2005, 02:41 AM
I had to shell out $30 for my "shorty" antenna. But, it is well worth it...

JMV1210
01-08-2005, 04:05 PM
where did you buy it?

J.T.H2
01-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Here's the link to the website http://www.allhorsepower.com/hummer.html.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Sorry messed up somehow?
TAZ

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Same place i got mine. I wish it had been bigger around but, it was thin as in diameter. I get very good reception just wish it was fatter. If anyone would like to buy a fat model (not huge) chrome or stainless just below roof line in length and would like to have the thinner model I would be happy to swap and I'll cover cost of shipping both between us. The thin one looks good and let's You use Your factory rubber boot and the fatter one's come with an adapter to taper it bigger at bottom to fit hole in side vent to take up more of the hole. Well if anyone is intersted then PM Me and We can work it out. Or if You need a black one and would like to get chrome ant. i'll trade my black ant.
Thanks
TAZ (Rick)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J.Trujillo:
Here's the link to the website http://www.allhorsepower.com/hummer.html. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QUOTE]

J.T.H2
01-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Same here... It is thinner than the stock, so the boot does not fit snug. I am also looking for a chrome antenna, but this one will do for the time being. It sure beats crapping my pants everytime I park in the garage. Whenever the antenna hit the top I thought I had bumped into something. If I find a billet (chrome) antenna I'll post the info here...

J.T.H2
01-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Rick, here's a place that sells the thicker, shorter antenna in black or chrome. The price is a bit steep though, $60. Short Antenna (http://www.gstyle4u.com/.sc/ms/dd/1104812121227023/9/nc/Exterior/434/NEW%21%20REPLACEMENT%20%26quot%3BSHORTY%26quot%3B% 20ANTENNA%20^2F%2004-05%20HUMMER%20H2%20%26%20SUT)

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks I'll take a look.