H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-02-2003, 03:58 AM

Brandon is off the scale

Sorry for the dumb question but isn't the H2 just a subarban with a different body? Not that it is bad, just wondering. I know the H1 is a different beast.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:58 AM

Brandon is off the scale

Sorry for the dumb question but isn't the H2 just a subarban with a different body? Not that it is bad, just wondering. I know the H1 is a different beast.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Brandon, Brandon, Brandon....,
Did someone put you up to this? You came in here and were actually pretty civil. What's with the 180?

The following is from Road & Track:

Hummer H2

Now that the Hummer brand is owned by General Motors, it's only natural to assume the new smaller model, the H2, would be a rebodied Chevy Tahoe. Wrong.

After spending two days rock crawling on the rugged trails around Moab, Utah, I came away with a new respect for the H2, which — unlike just about any other production SUV — conquered several miles of boulders, crevices and steep hills without the least bit of damage. And when the H2 did get high-centered creeping down what I would call a low cliff, it simply slid forward on its tubular steel rocker protection until the front tires hit terra firma and pulled the vehicle the rest of the way down.

Impressive. And proof that GM is adamant about making the H2 act like a proper Hummer. It all begins with huge LT315/70R-17 tires that create the essential ground clearance but don't look overly large beneath the boxy 4-door body. The chassis itself, as expected, is derived from the Tahoe/Suburban's, with chunks lopped off the front and rear to eliminate overhangs and create outstanding approach and departure angles.

Basically, the front of the rugged 2500 Series frame connects via boxed rails to the rear of the 1500, which employs a 5-link live axle with coil springs (air springs are available), stronger 8-lug axles and an electronic locking differential. Completing the H2 chassis are front and rear receiver mounts with winch capability, underbody protection in the form of a large aluminum front skidplate, a center section ladder shield, additional skidplates for the transfer case and fuel tank and the tubular steel rocker protection.

The H2 has full-time all-wheel drive, via a new transfer case that allows the driver to choose between high- and low-range gearing, with locking control over the center and rear differentials. This allows the H2 to scramble up just about any incline, aided by traction control that applies the brakes to a spinning wheel, which through normal differential action sends power to the wheels (or single wheel) getting the best traction.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=11&article_id=264&page_numb er=2&preview=
Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

FYI -- gleaned from published technical reviews:

A long wheelbase. H2's 122.8-inch wheelbase is almost seven inches longer than a Chevy Tahoe's, while its overall 189.8-inch body length is nine inches shorter than the Tahoe's. On-road, the long wheelbase helps smooth out the ride; off-road, it helps prevent pitching in rough terrain.

The H2's rear axle is the familiar GM 12 bolt solid axle with disk brakes. The base rear suspension is a modified GMT820 5-link setup with variable-rate coil springs and 46mm monotube gas shocks. An optional interactive air spring suspension is available. On this suspension, an air compressor inflates each of the two airbags in the rear independently to raise the H2 in either an automatic, load-leveling mode or by a switch. The compressor uses the H2 20/20 rule, which means that it can pump up all of the tires 20 pounds in 20 minutes.

The front suspension is a GM 25-Series utility truck independent setup using a 36mm stabilizer bar, 46mm monotube gas shocks, and tuned torsion bars.

The H2 has a fully welded ladder-type frame, with a modular, three-piece design that incorporates a number of hydroformed components, for outstanding strength, stiffness and dimensional accuracy.

The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame. The mid-section is all new and is completely boxed. The rear section uses a modifed GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for 8000 pound gross vehicle weight. Front and rear receiver mounts with 9000 pound winch capability are integrated into the frame. The rear hitch has an estimated 7000 pound capacity.

Conclusion: Tohoes/Suburbans are fine, but the H2 ain't one.

Jim
Red H2
Old 10-02-2003, 09:53 AM

Detonate is off the scale

Some of the parts are shared across the GM line, which in my mind is a great thing.

However the engineering on how everything goes together is completely different and was designed from the ground up.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 10-02-2003, 12:11 PM

Brandon is off the scale

sorry, but it was an honest question - good to know especially after I saw this vid he he

http://sajeeps.billmcgaw.com/video/KilledIT.wmv
Old 10-02-2003, 12:30 PM

SUTJim is off the scale

That video reminded me of all the "RealVideo" clips of skateboarders landing on their wrists and you can hear the snap and then see the break.

I winched when I saw the tie-rod snap!

Current Chevy Avalanche owner,
future H2 SUT owner
Old 10-02-2003, 03:17 PM

argonaut is off the scale

I winched too, using my warn xd9000i...

'03 H2 Sunset Orange No mods
'03 BMW M3 Convertible
'02 BMW M5
Old 10-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

I think broken tie rods is something every off-roader, stock or moded, have in common.

As for the topic, that's old news.

Any EDUCATED person knows the difference .

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 10-02-2003, 07:38 PM

Brandon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DennisAJC:
I think broken tie rods is something every off-roader, stock or moded, have in common.

As for the topic, that's old news.

Any EDUCATED person knows the difference .

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's right, but that is why I asked. Now I am schooled

I don't think so on the tie rod deal, maybe all IFS..