H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

HI all, new to the forums here. I have an 03 H2 thats about to need new tires. I'm looking to get something more aggressive then the stock BFG AT's. I purchased and installed a set of Warn rims some months back at about $2200 so changing rim sizes is not an option. I thought of buying the BFG MT but they don't make them in the same size as the AT's.

Then a local hummer shop said the Goodyear MTR would fit even being 37'' in diameter. BUT, he warned they wear quickly and at $410 ea it sounds like a bad choice.

I really don't understand the metric sizing on the stock tire and everytime I call someone for clarification I get a different answer. Very frustrating. What does 315/70/R17 translate to anyway?

Wondering if anybody has been through this already and what the solution was.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

HI all, new to the forums here. I have an 03 H2 thats about to need new tires. I'm looking to get something more aggressive then the stock BFG AT's. I purchased and installed a set of Warn rims some months back at about $2200 so changing rim sizes is not an option. I thought of buying the BFG MT but they don't make them in the same size as the AT's.

Then a local hummer shop said the Goodyear MTR would fit even being 37'' in diameter. BUT, he warned they wear quickly and at $410 ea it sounds like a bad choice.

I really don't understand the metric sizing on the stock tire and everytime I call someone for clarification I get a different answer. Very frustrating. What does 315/70/R17 translate to anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

Racer-X,

By "more agressive" do you mean looks or O.R. pefformance?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Well, I must be honest. I want a more aggressive look but I also don't want to sacrafice performance.

I've been to so many off-road events where the guy in front of me has big huge lugs on his wheels and the thing slips and spins all the way up the hill. Then a 70 year old lady climbs up behind him with the stock AT's without ever budging. I know the AT's are awesome tires...but on the other hand I have set up my H2 to look very aggressive - Gobi rack, warn wench and the weld wheels with simulated bead locks. I just wanted to run with that theme if I could AND not lose O.R. performance.

But don't get me wrong, if you guys tell me to stick with the AT's I will!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

See, I'm seeing pics on this forum of 'Longhorns" H2 with the MT's and stock rims with apparently no lift? So it must be possible.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been to so many off-road events where the guy in front of me has big huge lugs on his wheels and the thing slips and spins all the way up the hill. Then a 70 year old lady climbs up behind him with the stock AT's without ever budging. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was going to be my point. BFG AT's are a pretty hard tire to beat in the "all around" category. They don't look all that tough they just perform .
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

OK, thanks guys. It looks like from reading around here I could go with the 37's and get no (or very little) rub. Or I may just stick with the AT's. The only tire that looks out of the question is the Goodyear MTR - Nice tire but too pricey for the $ to mileage ratio.

Tanks phil. I had just found that article before you posted it and printed it to take home for reading.

Can anyone tell me what these tires are? I see they are BFG but I can't tell the model. Are those MT's? i would LOVE to know the size!

http://www.*******club.com/events/2005/images/006.jpg
Old 01-03-2006, 10:42 PM

rodster is off the scale

For answers to your question about converting tire sizes: http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...831#9241065831
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racer-X:

Thanks in advance for any help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll sell you 4 MT/Rs with less than 10K miles on them for half that price and they have over 80% tread.

The "local hummer shop" sounds a bit crazy. But MT/Rs suck for the H2 IMO.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am runing the stock BFG A/T on my 03 H2 and I do a lot of Off Roading and I have had no problem from them at all. I just replace them two mounts back, and the tire sales man told me they should last about 40,000 miles and I had 45,000 miles on the truck when I replace the tires. I went 5,000 over for wear of the tire tread.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Thanks arizona, yes, I like the A/T's very much, they have done very well off road for me but like I said I really like the look of the MT's and I doubt I would lose any off road capability. So if they fit I will probably go with them.

Thanks phil for the size. I think my search is over.

This forum is a wonderful resource. I think I'll hang a while.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 PM

IPStack is off the scale

I run 36" Irok Super Swampers and they do rub, but not enough to take them off, they only hit the wheel well plastic in a tight turn. When the tread wears down some that does not occur. With 37" tires I am sure it would rub more unless you crank up the suspension in the front some.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

First, get a handle on pricing.
tirerack

Most shops will at least meet the internet price...
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Thanks hart - good idea!

Now that I've chosen the BFG MT and know that they fit. I'm debating rather to go with the 37 or the 35.

I'm not worried about rub. I'm more concerned with the extra wear and tear on the drive train and my speedo being off. Is the extra clearance worth the risk? hmmmm......
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Well, I sealed up my diff to a slow leak and on the way to the shop I went to 4 wheel parts and had my tires put on (had a previous appt I didn;t want to miss).

I chose the BFG MT 35/12.50/17. She looks awesome! I think I'm finally done with the exterior atleast. I'll post some picks when I get her back and washed.

P.S. 4 wheel parts blew away the pricing competition - $236 each and that included mounting and balancing. $1140 total OTD.

If anybody could use a coupon for free mount and balance with purchase of 4 tires (35 and smaller) let me know, I have an extra I could mail.