H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Well, I feel like calling a vote on this issue. I was at the bar the other night, and sure enough,
I'd like some crackers with this cheesy ad 4 8.51%
I don't have an opinion, but I do like to vote 2 4.26%
I haven't seen it yet 0 0%
I laughed, I cried but mostly I cheered 12 25.53%
Give the director an Emmy Award!!!!! 29 61.70%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2003, 08:39 PM

ItsaJeepThing95 is off the scale

I'm with Alec on this one. It shows irresponsible off-road travel and gives the impression that it's okay. I can't seem to find it for the life of me right now but there was a thread on automags.com about some lady in an H2 bonzai driving through some college campus because she "saw it in the commercial." Not sure on the validity of it since it is now gone, but we have many irresponsible arseholes out here in CO that see this kind of crap in commercials and think its okay. The switchbacks we have in CO are usually VERY fragile and on very steep terrain, so ANY shortcutting of them at all leads to horrendous erosion. While this may not be a problem in many parts of the country (although maybe it should be a problem) it CERTAINLY is an issue here in Colorado and we take it very seriously.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone has their opinion. There are many messages into this. But bottom line, it's a fun commercial. Intelligent adults on this Forum aren't the "Monkey see, Monkey do types".
That's why we can afford these things.

Growing up to Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Spider Man.... They have many misleading messages too.

Lighten Up

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-02-2003, 11:44 PM

dostacos is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec W:
[Flame Proof Vest = On]
Patriot, I know where you are coming from and I too agree it’s supposed to be funny, but in reality there is nothing funny about tearing up trails by not following them. There are a lot of trails in Colorado with switchbacks; there are some people that “make” little short cuts like that for a little more challenge. That's what gets trails closed and that’s why I now don't think it’s appropriate. I am no angel, I have (through ignorance) broken the rules, as I get more experienced (and addicted) I am learning about responsible wheeling. I think the manufactures of 4x4 vehicles should do the same thing.

Maybe it’s a Colorado thing and that’s why we are so lucky to have so many trails to run.
[Flame Proof Vest = Off]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not just colorado, California too.
the problem is the tofu eating electric car loving commercial writers would not have THOUGHT about having the kid follow an off road TRAIL.

I don't drive a H2, but I find that commmercial better than 99% of the dreck out there.

did you also notice that the hummer kid has the GIRL?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

My mother in law (whom detests my Hummer as a ridiculous waste of money and the ugliest thing on the road) saw the commercial and thought it was an advertisement for a Hummer electric toy car. She called my wife and thought my 3 1/2 year old son would enjoy one!

I agree that people should not tear up fragile areas like described in CO but I did not come away with that impression at all. I liked it and those commercials made me want a Hummer even more.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 09-04-2003, 01:49 PM

Personally, I don't believe that people who do not participate in any OHV activities can even see my point of view on this issue. You don't understand how special these trails are to us that keep getting closed down, or the joy we feel when taking our vehicles responsibly down these trails. This particular commercial isn't the first one to piss me off on this subject. There was a Honda one where they came up on a tunnel that the vehicle couldn't pass through because they had a couple bikes on top, so instead of taking the bikes down from the rack to get the vehicle through, they blaze their own trail acround the tunnel through fragile mountain vegetation. The hook like on the commercial was "create your own shortcut" or something to that effect. These commercials give the newbie off-roader the impression that this stuff is okay, and it takes a while before someone observes them doing this and corrects it. A lot of damage can be done in that time. I guess it's an off-road thing, most of you wouldn't understand.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

I understand your point totally and I think it's a very valid point. I was just saying that it does not make ME want to destroy trails. The point being that not everyone will walk away with the impression that you can just do as you please when it comes to off roading. I do understand though that it only takes a few jerks to spoil the fun for many people.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 09-04-2003, 03:30 PM

MindlesS is off the scale

Where can I get the plans for that thing?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:02 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Wow... You saw that commercial and thought it taught Irresponsible Off Roading?

Maybe some people should spend less on their vehicles, and more on psychiatric help.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 09-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

AMEN!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:27 PM

Fellow Off-Roader is off the scale

definately one of the best commercials I've seen in a long time. ranks right up there with how do the snow truck drivers get to their snow trucks? in a beetle for those too young to know.

my wife was the first one to see it and when it came on again, she yelled for me to see it.

and yes the kid does get the girl.

and yes, I off-highway alot and do not see the connection.

very cool commercial. puts Jeep and especially Land Rover to shame.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Hummer Messiah

Educated people know better. People who say otherwise are insulting their own intelligence.

They are the types that support, Gay marriages,
ELVES, Anti-deathrow, Anti-SUV.

I'd might as well make a TEMPORARY shortcut, than PERMENANTLY cement and pave the whole ****ing landscape so the pop cans can drive through.

Nature will recover over tire tracks, it can't over cement.

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

[This message was edited by DennisAJC on 09-04-03 at 02:57 PM.]

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Hummer Messiah

OK! You wanna know what I really think!?!?!?!

I love CHER! OK! I love her!

I'm so glad she dumped that ski bum loser Sunny...He's so smugg.

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-04-2003, 11:01 PM

2slo4now is off the scale

Commericals are made to get attention. Good or bad. By the number of posts on the subject it seems that this one is a success.

I personally like it.

Dan from Alabama
Old 09-05-2003, 02:38 AM
Hummer Messiah

Alec,

It's just an opinion, most of the time I just get carried away and talk ****. Just an opinion. I enjoy the commercial but I am reasonably educated enough (or chicken) not to do that sort of thing in real life...COMMON SENSE. I honestly think my kids will not be mislead since they get too much love and attention than any...ANY T.V. commercial or program.

I respected and enjoyed your posts ever since I joined, and I still respect and enjoy them now. I understand and agree with most of your points but it's just a commercial. If you are in that frame of mind, then I can point out 90% of the programs/commercials on T.V. all have negative messages.

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-05-2003, 01:53 PM

I'm not saying that this commercial necessarily gives current or prospective H2 owners the idea that this stuff is okay. If you can afford an H2, you make way more cash than I do, therefore must have a pretty good job, and be halfway intelligent at least. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but we'll leave that out.

And Dennis, while I understand where you're coming from with the cement comment in a way, it is totally irrelevant to the issue I have with this commercial. In the commercial they drove down a pre-existing paved road that appeared to be in rich suburbia. If you could get a cement truck ANYWHERE NEAR the trails that I love to make an attempt to pave them, it would be a miracle. But getting someone who has been influenced by an irresponsible advertising campaign (remember, it's not just the H2 commercials I have issue with) and them destroying our beautiful trails and country side happens all the time. I'll post back here in a few minutes with some examples of trail damage done by people who don't know how to stay on the existing trail so you guys can HOPEFULLY figure out what I'm talking about. The trails I run are not in the local farmer's field, they are high up in the rocky mountains, in beautiful, pristine places that should be left unharmed. And don't try to give me crap about the trail itself is harming nature, the Forest Service put these roads in long ago for access to the best parts of my wonderful state.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:28 PM

First example I could find. This guy proceeded to get pissed off when a responsible wheeler mentioned that he was traveling off the trail. I wasn't there, but it apparently came close to blows over this guy wheeling out of bounds. And you can tell he's not the first guy to go through there.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:10 PM

SJ is off the scale

It'saJeepThing95:

I hear where you're coming from. Some people run out and buy their first 4 x 4 and then proceed to hunt for the nearest construction site, farm, or forest for some off pavement fun. They have no idea of what land management and tread lightly is all about.

It's a sad state of affairs that more and more trails are being closed because of the multiple issues including: cost of upkeep, littering, degradation of land (e.g. erosion), pollution, endangered species, etc. The last thing we all need is more wreckless individuals out there.

I suppose there is a happy medium somewhere that advertisers need to be aware of. Marketing off-road products should carry a pre-requisite of knowing the "sport" even on a rudimentary level. Manufacturers likewise need to work with the ad agencies in this respect.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 09-05-2003, 06:24 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...start ranting off about irrelevant issues...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I consider Wheelin' Out of Bounds, and a commercial about a kid in a soap box race to be irrelevant issues.

It's not that people don't agree with you about how you shouldn't wheel out of bounds, it's that most of us are bright enough to see a commercial for what it is. A commercial.

Same with any other TV Shows, Video Games, etc... You certainly can't call that irrelevant issues. When you compare a TV Commercial to a real life issue, You have to expect that people will do the same.

I really don't even see the comparison in the commercial to real life. I mean we have a cardboard box driven by a kid in a neighborhood to a Man in 6,500 lbs vehicle in the mountains.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder