H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 AM

NVR STUCK is off the scale

After my winter outing in MI, I ended up with a "stress" crack in my windshield. It was repaired today under warranty. The dealer did look awfully hard for a rock chip though. My leak up front was a pinion seal. Sunset - You may want to have your front end aligned. I had them do an alignment and the right front tire was out of spec. I can't imagine why.

No Limits! You're Never Stuck in a Hummer!
Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 AM

After my winter outing in MI, I ended up with a "stress" crack in my windshield. It was repaired today under warranty. The dealer did look awfully hard for a rock chip though. My leak up front was a pinion seal. Sunset - You may want to have your front end aligned. I had them do an alignment and the right front tire was out of spec. I can't imagine why.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Document ID# 1363441
2003 HUMMER H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info - Guidelines to Prevent Cracks in Replacement Windshields #03-08-48-004 - (08/01/2003)
Guidelines to Prevent Cracks in Replacement Windshields
2003 HUMMER H2

This bulletin is being issued to advise dealers regarding correct replacement of the windshield.

After removing the windshield, there will be two plastic blocks visible along the lower edge of the windshield opening, each located near the windshield wiper arm transmission spline. These blocks are assembly aids used only when installing the windshield at the plant. They must stay in place so as not to open a hole where they mount. However, upon installation of a replacement windshield, care must be taken to assure that the glass does not come in contact with the blocks.

After applying the urethane and positioning the windshield, leaving an air gap (3) of 1 mm (0.040 in) between the block (4) and the windshield (2) , compress the urethane only as much as necessary. This will assure that the glass does not come into contact with the blocks. If contact is made with the block, body flexing may cause the replacement windshield to crack. Cracks along the bottom of the glass are an indication that the glass is contacting the blocks.

Tape (1) the windshield in place. Do not remove the tape until the adhesive cures.

Important
When subletting a windshield replacement, provide a copy of this bulletin to the persons involved in the replacement.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Hummer Novice

Acheron is off the scale

Great new on the windshield!

Did you break down and get you missing front grill piece replaced also?

It looks like my air suspension was damaged in all the ice. The cotrol arms were frozen for about 6 days in a big ball of ice. Now the autoleveling trys to kick in an no dice on the passenger side.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:22 PM

Sloppynwet is off the scale

My friend just had his window crack. Not from a rock either. They said that the only thing it could have been was from a rock. They turned him away? He had his insurance do an aftermarket install in his driveway. Is this Common to get stress cracks? What if the installer wasnt up to date on this technical Bulletin? What do you think the ill effects could be. He hasnt mentioned any leaking.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 PM

Acheron,

I was lucky, nothing was broken on mine. I was able to simply re-install it. SunsetShannon was not so lucky.

Sloppy,

My windshield broke right at the block shown in the lower right corner on the passengers side. If it happens again, and your friend is absolutely sure there is no rock chip to be seen, tell him to push it up the chain of command. It seems that stress breaks are not all that uncommon in the H2.

Thanks Klaus, (as always)

I am going to stop by the dealer and ask if the installer followed the guidelines during the install. I know that they sub-contracted the installation.