H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-05-2003, 05:28 PM

H2_GUY is off the scale

I mean talk about rocket science gone wrong …..

1. Took up all the precious cargo room (I have the 3rd seat and I need it)
2. Blocked rear view
3. Hideous looking thing to do,… to put a tire next to a Childs seat
If the rear gate wasn’t strong enough they could have put a swing gate or something on the back… or on he side or something but not inside the SUV… My Ali ba ba and 40 thieves(dealership) want $1,800 for it… so I did what I had to do, put the spare in the basement …. Heheheheh $0 fix as long as I don’t get a flat…
I wonder if Onstar can help without the spare ???

-----Mother of all SUVz-----
Old 04-05-2003, 05:28 PM

H2_GUY is off the scale

I mean talk about rocket science gone wrong …..

1. Took up all the precious cargo room (I have the 3rd seat and I need it)
2. Blocked rear view
3. Hideous looking thing to do,… to put a tire next to a Childs seat
If the rear gate wasn’t strong enough they could have put a swing gate or something on the back… or on he side or something but not inside the SUV… My Ali ba ba and 40 thieves(dealership) want $1,800 for it… so I did what I had to do, put the spare in the basement …. Heheheheh $0 fix as long as I don’t get a flat…
I wonder if Onstar can help without the spare ???

Old 04-05-2003, 09:15 PM

NCHummerman is off the scale

I already asked OnStar and they told me that if I do not have a spare, they will put my H2 on a flat bed truck .... this is why I purchased a roof rack with the spare tire carrier on top ...

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Old 04-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Hard to argue your points. Getting the tire out of the back was one of the first things I did. My dealer also wanted $1500 for the carier.

Best I can say is purchase the SMA tire carrier, or the like, yourself and install. It is pretty straight forward and only takes a couple of hours (a lot less if you just slap it on). Makes a world of difference on room and view.

Not sure if it's true or not but my dealer claimed that the H2 stock tires have puncture sealant in them already so any small puncture will seal short of a major puncture of tear. Again, not sure of true this is but would be nice.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 04-06-2003, 03:13 PM

H2_GUY is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummerman:
I already asked OnStar and they told me that if I do not have a spare, they will put my H2 on a flat bed truck .... this is why I purchased a roof rack with the spare tire carrier on top ...

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

http://www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you ask who payz for the flat bed truck??

Old 04-06-2003, 03:17 PM

H2_GUY is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe:
Hard to argue your points. Getting the tire out of the back was one of the first things I did. My dealer also wanted $1500 for the carier.

Best I can say is purchase the SMA tire carrier, or the like, yourself and install. It is pretty straight forward and only takes a couple of hours (a lot less if you just slap it on). Makes a world of difference on room and view.

Not sure if it's true or not but my dealer claimed that the H2 stock tires have puncture sealant in them already so any small puncture will seal short of a major puncture of tear. Again, not sure of true this is but would be nice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took the tire out and it looks like I am missing the "extender bars" and as I was rooling the tire out it hits the roof's plastic molding...

Old 04-06-2003, 10:14 PM

H2Norcal is off the scale

I talked with someone that evaluated the H2 before its release to give their feedback and they told Clay, who is the GM Project Mgr. for the H2, that it made no sense to have it inside and that people are either going to want a two seat position third row or none at all, but most said the 35" tire is too big for the cargo area.

So my take it was purely a GM decision. For what it is worth.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:34 AM

H2_GUY is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2Norcal:
I talked with someone that evaluated the H2 before its release to give their feedback and they told Clay, who is the GM Project Mgr. for the H2, that it made no sense to have it inside and that people are either going to want a two seat position third row or none at all, but most said the 35" tire is too big for the cargo area.

So my take it was purely a GM decision. For what it is worth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if all of us can start a petition, and ask GM to give us an external gate that can hold the spear…. For Free!,… cuz I ran outa money after buying this thing…

Old 04-07-2003, 01:35 AM

H2_GUY is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2_GUY:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2Norcal:

So my take it was purely a GM decision. For what it is worth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if all of us can start a petition, and ask GM to give us an external gate that can hold the spear…. For Free!,… cuz I ran outa money after buying this thing…

-----Mother of all SUVz-----<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attached Images

Old 04-07-2003, 01:36 AM

H2_GUY is off the scale

something like this.....

Attached Images

Old 04-07-2003, 01:36 AM

H2_GUY is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2_GUY:
something like this.....

This one is not mine....Obviously

-----Mother of all SUVz-----<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-07-2003, 04:10 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Personally I do not like the tire on the back, I don't like the look and I don't want to swing the tire out to get to the trunk, which is very often. Obviously I am not the only one, because most Hummers do not have the spare on the back. Cost of the rear tire rack was not the issue.

Those who like the spare on the back simply paid the price and bought the rack, a simple solution and not that much money for this vehicle MSRP. There was no reason for Hummer to add the cost and rack to all owners, most do not want the back rack.

If you are the Hummer design chief, what would you do? Do you have a better idea? I certainly cannot find a better location for the spare and I have no issue with the spare tire.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 PM

Sprinter5 is off the scale

If the H2 tires come with puncture sealant in them already then the sealant sure doesn't work very good. I ran over a nail after owning my H2 for about 2 weeks and it did not seal the samll puncture.

I don't like the rear tire carier nor do I like to give up the rear cargo space. I just removed the spare tire for daily driving and carry a bottle of that tire sealant. If I get a puncture I can use the tire sealant and then air it up with my air compressor, this should get me home to my spare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe:

Not sure if it's true or not but my dealer claimed that the H2 stock tires have puncture sealant in them already so any small puncture will seal short of a major puncture of tear. Again, not sure of true this is but would be nice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-07-2003, 06:55 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

When you think about it, where else can they put it?

Put it on the back gate, and it blocks rearward visibility and adds an extra step to opening the hatch. Also, some people, as MAC said, just don't like the look.

There really isn't room underneath the vehicle for a 35" tire, especially not with all that air suspension stuff back there. To fit the tire under there, they most likely would have to lengthen the vehicle (there goes your departure angle) and raise the load floor.
Plus, for those H2 owners that wheel, the spare would hang down low and smash on rocks and ledges. And then if you happen to get a flat while being stuck in the mud, have fun getting the tire out from under there. And then you have the stupid handle that you have to use to crank the spare down, what a PITA.

I feel your pain about having the spare in the cargo area- mine is mounted in the exact same place. It does take up quite a bit of cargo room. It doesn't hamper my visibility though. I haven't yet found a rear mounted tire rack that I like yet, and I don't like the idea of it on the roof. I think it looks good on the roof, but I don't want all that extra weight up there to raise my center of gravity, and plus, I already have enough wind noise and bad enough gas mileage as it is. I DO plan on making a roof mount for it, just so I can put the tire up there in the off chance that I need all the extra cargo room. Probably when I drive out to the beach with a cooler, camp stove, firewood, lawn chairs, etc. Not a whole lot of cargo room for all that stuff in a Grand with the tire back there.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 PM

SJ is off the scale

Mike:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why not just go with a Yakima rack on your YJ? I'm saving my Yakima Rack with Tire Carrier for when I buy another Jeep [hope the plans for the Diesel Grand come true]. I'm trying to recall what size tires you run - 32s? The Yakima system will hold up to a 36" tire and you can use existing Jeep crossbars to bolster the mid-section of the rack (to dampen any flex). I've seen other lited YJs and WJs with the Yakima Rack and it looks sweet.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 04-08-2003, 01:26 AM

valkolton is off the scale

I vote for taking it out and carrying the bottle of fix-a-flat. Many sports cars now days do not have spares (Corvette, Z3, Z4), they either have fix a flat or run-flat tires.

I do not travel too far to work, so I am going to take my chances unless I go out of town. I could always get a ride to pick up my spare at home.

I personally do not like the look of the tire on the back, especially with after market wheels.

2003 Orange H2, Viper Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, 325/65R20 M/T tires on order from Toyo, 20" Monsta Wheels, Rosen Video
Old 04-08-2003, 01:46 PM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

SJ,

I run 245/75R16's, which are about the same height as a 31x10.50, but a little narrower.

I thought about going with a Yakima or Sureco rack, but like I said, I don't want the extra wind noise and reduced fuel mileage that comes with it. (I assume you're talking about a basket style safari rack?).

I DO like the look of them, however, and I think it would be a handy place to mount my Hi -Lift and shovel.

Maybe I'm off base though. Did you notice any drop in economy and increase in wind noise when you ran your rack? Maybe if I bought a Thule or Yakima fairing, or even just made one, it wouldn't be as bad. Any thoughts on that?

What I was actually thinking of getting was one of those baskets that plug into the reciever hitch. Then I can put my cooler and junk on that.

Reason I'm going to be needing all the cargo room is because I just bought a beach permit to drive out on Sandy Neck beach on Cape Cod, MA. When I go, I'll most likely be spending the day and bringing four friends with me. That'll be alot of gear to cram in the back of a Grand. Plus, I'm required to bring recovery gear too.

And I'm with you, I like the idea of a diesel Grand. They have one in Europe, hopefully they bring it over here. I read there are plans for a diesel Liberty for the US next year.

Oh, and I actually drive a ZJ, not a YJ. The YJ is the '87-'95 Wrangler.

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*
Old 04-08-2003, 09:41 PM

H2_GUY is off the scale

How about a dip in trunk just like the cars?
or on the rear door ?
or under the car like in vans...