H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

Let's see those NEW rims!!! post PICTURES!!!
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 05-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rhyno is off the scale

Let's see those NEW rims!!! post PICTURES!!!
-20" Rockstar wheels
-MagnaCharger S/C
Old 05-13-2003, 11:28 PM

valkolton is off the scale

Check the other post, I put a lot of pictures up. I will take more later tomorrow...

also check http://photos.yahoo.com/valkolton I put a comparison with the stock tires...

cheers... I waited 6 months for these stupid tires to come out!!!

2003 Orange H2, Viper Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, 325/65R20 M/T tires on order from Toyo, 20" Monsta Wheels, Rosen Video
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2003, 11:39 PM

2003 Orange H2, Viper Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, 325/65R20 M/T tires on order from Toyo, 20" Monsta Wheels, Rosen Video
Old 05-13-2003, 11:40 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

I am curious, why go for 20 inch rims? The chrome will get real messed up on the trail. And man those are not mud tires, they are more AT tires. But didn't even know they made at tires or 'mud' for 20s. But man why not go for 26s, they would be bling bling to the max (hope you get the sarcasm)
Old 05-14-2003, 01:32 PM

The Terra Grapplers are really good for offroad use, they were reviewed in a 4x4 magazine this month. However, I will use the stock wheels and tires when I go on any mildly challenging terrain so that I do not have to worry about scratches.

I wanted to go bigger tires, and be different than everyone else with the 18s with 35s or 22s with lo-profiles and lowered. I figured it was the best of both worlds to have a huge tire and a pretty big wheel for everyday driving.

val

Old 05-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

Val those are Monsta Wheels.... They look like Neepers.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:54 PM

Ya, the full name of the wheels are:

Concept Neeper Monsta... Concept brand, neeper line, Monsta is the model...

They are discontinued though.

2003 Orange H2, Clifford Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, Nitto 325/65R20 A/T Terra Grappler tires, 20" Monsta Wheels, Clarion 7" LCD/MP3/DVD, Chrome Grille, Billet Handles
Old 05-19-2003, 08:46 PM

Ya, they actually are making "Mud tires" for 20s now! But, I agree - when I do any medium-major offroading I am switching to my stock wheels/tires. Is there truly evidence that 15/16 is Ibetter than 17 (which is stock of course)???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
I am curious, why go for 20 inch rims? The chrome will get real messed up on the trail. And man those are not mud tires, they are more AT tires. But didn't even know they made at tires or 'mud' for 20s. But man why not go for 26s, they would be bling bling to the max (hope you get the sarcasm)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris is right, for off road use, anything over 17" is generally considered too big, 16/15" is better. The more tire "depth" you have, the better the tire is at forming to and absorbing rocks, boulders, logs, etc, this in turn leads to more surface area in contact with the surface and better traction. This becomes even more important as you start airing down. 20" rims are not for off road use. After saying that, they do look very good and really fill the wheel arches out well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2003 Orange H2, Clifford Responder Alarm, Audiobahn Sound, Nitto 325/65R20 A/T Terra Grappler tires, 20" Monsta Wheels, Clarion 7" LCD/MP3/DVD, Chrome Grille, Billet Handles
Old 05-19-2003, 10:30 PM

I do notice a difference in ride height, it definitely feels like the truck is sitting higher. I love the look of how it fills up the fenders more, and sticks out a little on the sides of the truck.

They are not 37s, but the downshifting and speed seems the same.

I did not want the MTs because of mileage, but they definitely look cool. I like the "lightning" bolt pattern on the side of my tires though!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Val, I doubt there is any actual proof that a 15" or 16" is best rim size, much of it is anecdotal and based on peoples trail experience.

They are certainly good sizes for most off road trucks and allow the tire to have good depth that moulds to different surfaces/obstacles. 37's (or even 35's) on a 17" rim also allow for that same depth, especially when used on a vehicle as large as a H2.

I suspect that much of the theory behind using 15/16" rims is from people who use 33/35" tires, and not 37". On a 17" rim a 33" tire will have noticeably less depth than on a 15" rim. But the theory is sound and generally the more depth you have on a tire, the better it is for off roading.

FWIW the stock BFG AT's are pretty good tires on most surfaces in my view, sand, rock, highway, and are pretty decent in rain, snow and ice. Although they do tend to load up in mud. MT's are obviously better in mud, and look better too, but are lacking on sand, ice snow and rain.

How do you find the truck runs with the larger tires on? Any issues, like shifting down at highway speeds or sluggish behavior?

I keep contemplating getting some MT's, like the 37" MT/R's, but concerned about on road behavior, so may go for some 35" BFG MT's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

On the H2, some 16" wheels won't clear the brake calipers and I doubt ANY 15" will.
I ran into this on the wife's 02 Suburban and my HD p/u trucks.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.